Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 04:33 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
And in SW Florida if you can speak Creole, you can are in high demand for the school system. Bilingual Spanish are a dime a dozen.
What does that have to do with the discussion? I swear, with some people you can be talking about one thing and they will invitably respond with something completely off the wall.

Okay, so Creole is in demand in whatever school system you're talking about (I assume there isn't a "South Florida" school system!). Are you saying that there are more Creoles living in South Florida than Hispanics? I hope you aren't!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 04:36 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Dang it I wish I could rep ya!
Thanks...at least some of us make sense on here!

Old 10-15-2009, 04:42 PM

374 posts, read 812,644 times
I think it's interesting to note all the famous traditionally viewed Southern personalities from states being debated on this thread.

Robert E. Lee, Virginia
Mark Twain, Missouri
Jesse James, Missouri
John Wilkes Booth, Maryland (Probably the best argument towards a Southern influence in Maryland)
Stonewall Jackson, what is now West Virginia
Heck, Confederate General John C. Pemberton (Who unsuccessfully defended Vicksburg) was born and raised in none other than Lancaster, Pennsylvania.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:27 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
I think it's interesting to note all the famous traditionally viewed Southern personalities from states being debated on this thread.

Robert E. Lee, Virginia
Mark Twain, Missouri
Jesse James, Missouri
John Wilkes Booth, Maryland (Probably the best argument towards a Southern influence in Maryland)
Stonewall Jackson, what is now West Virginia
Heck, Confederate General John C. Pemberton (Who unsuccessfully defended Vicksburg) was born and raised in none other than Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
How can you forget Jefferson Davis... Kentucky

Old 10-15-2009, 08:28 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Thanks...at least some of us make sense on here!
Thank you

Old 10-16-2009, 03:11 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,766,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad443 View Post
Yeah, I agree. By "historically" I mean that it was officially below the Mason Dixon line at the time of the Civil War. But even during that time, most of central/northern Maryland was culturally more similar to central Pennsylvania. Meaning, the rural areas consisted primarily of small, self-sufficient, family farms, and the main urban areas (such as Baltimore) were industrializing and attracting European immigrants. I think the Eastern Shore and southern Maryland were more culturally linked to Virginia, with their system of small plantations and tobacco planters. Those areas, along with Virginia, had also become the center of a very lucrative "domestic slave-trade." That was the system in which the surplus "slaves" in the Chesapeake region--whose labor was no longer in high demand on declining tobacco plantations--were being sold for high profit to the rapidly expanding "Cotton" plantations down in the deep South. So, their wealth was tied up in their "enslaved property," and any threat to that system threatened their livelihood.

So culturally, Maryland was split in half. The allegiance and sympathy of those on the Eastern Shore and southern MD was more on the side of the Confederates; those living in northern and central Maryland were more with the Union culturally and politically. That's why Lincoln had to lock Maryland down so things wouldn't get out of hand.
This is an extremely good, and accurate from many, if not most, native Marylanders viewpoint
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City