Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you rather live in?
Paris 75 56.39%
Chicago 58 43.61%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 02:06 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,289,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceboyzero View Post
When you ask someone to post facts, you cannot deflect their post with your own opinion and make it "wrong." Just because you think you saw carnival food does not diminish the fact that it is an international event.

From wikipedia: Taste of Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Taste of Chicago is the world's largest food festival, held annually for 10 days in Chicago starting Friday before the 4th of July and ending the Sunday after. Every year, millions of Chicagoans, and tourists from around the world flock to Grant Park to enjoy the variety of food prepared by Chicago's most popular restaurants.

Popularity has spawned numerous offshoots and equivalents throughout the country (and beyond), such as the Tastefest in Detroit, the Taste of the Danforth in Toronto, the Taste of Kalamazoo, Taste of Addison, Taste of Lincolnshire, Taste in Dallas, Taste of Madison, in Austin, and the Bite in Portland.

When I ask for an example of a mammal and in return get a fish I have the right to dispute the information provided in the answer. I asked for international events and in return received a list of local museums and local fairs. Taste of Chicago an international event? What international / foreign /overseas restaurants are being represented there? How many tourist from overseas are actually flying to Chicago to taste the famous hotdog? What international magazines / publications are reviewing the Taste? This is absurd.

Wiki:

Popular local food staples at Taste include Chicago-style pizza, Chicago hot dogs, barbecued ribs, Italian Beef, Maxwell Street Polish Sausage, cheesecake, and a variety of ethnic and regional foods. The city's diverse variety of cuisines is well represented.

Do you believe the world actually need to come to Chicago to taste hot dogs, italian beef or cheesake?
Why don't you ask in London or Paris forums? ROTLF

International event in Chicago when even in the US celebrities avoid the city like a plague? ROTFL

Last edited by dementor; 03-16-2009 at 02:36 PM..

Old 03-16-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
And Shedd was the world's most visited aquarium in 2005 and 2007. You don't have to like it.
And how does it make it an international event or an event at all? Huh?

There is no other big city around Chicago for hundreds of miles so of course people from surrounding states come to Chicago to visit and take advantage of museums or other attractions but it does not make a them national or international events. Do you really think anyone from New York or LA would fly to Chicago to visit Shedd? Do you think there are no aquariums in New York and most major cities? This is absurd. I asked you for a list of national and international events taking place in Chicago and you provided a list of museums? Think again. You want an international event? Look at French Open in Paris: it gets international news coverage and truly international representation. That's what makes a truly international event. Can you try again?

Last edited by dementor; 03-16-2009 at 02:35 PM..

Old 03-16-2009, 02:28 PM

894 posts, read 2,380,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
I must have missed that. Twenty international events taking place in Chicago? International not only by name but also by impact, relevance and audience? I can't find that post of yours. Can you repost?
nothing says international like letting the world watch your city burn due to muslims rioting

Old 03-16-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMack View Post
nothing says international like letting the world watch your city burn due to muslims rioting
Yeah. I bet similar event in Chicago would not warrant a single mention in the press. Withouth any riots, Chicago has a higher murder rate than any other big city in the US and Europe. I bet you are proud now.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:01 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Quote:
Yeah. I bet similar event in Chicago would not warrant a single mention in the press. Withouth any riots, Chicago has a higher murder rate than any other big city in the US and Europe. I bet you are proud now.
Chicago's murder rate is very high as it has been during many years in the past. The rate for deaths among Chicago's public school students have already surpassed the amount from 2008.
The murder rate is a negative, it's not a matter of pride, but negatives do not represent everything the city has to offer. Nor do negatives cancel out everything else.
A poster mentioned international events. The Chicago Board of Trade sets the market for worldwide prices on agricultural products.
Chicago has a great variety of ethnic restaurants. Chicago's symphony orchestra is one of the world's best. Many exhibits at the Art Institute draw people from far away places. Thanks to the wife of Potter Palmer, the Art Institute has one of the world's best collections of French Impressionism. The annual SOFA art fair on Navy Pier has many exhibitors/galleries coming from Europe.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Chicago's murder rate is very high as it has been during many years in the past. The rate for deaths among Chicago's public school students have already surpassed the amount from 2008.
The murder rate is a negative, it's not a matter of pride, but negatives do not represent everything the city has to offer. Nor do negatives cancel out everything else.

They do not but high crime overshadows any positives as it affects personal safety. Safety first, right? As a matter of fact Chicago "leads" in each and every crime category as defined by FBI's Unifrom Crime Statistics Bureau among big Amercian cities and it's very said and unsettling that city's government can't still control the crime in the beginning of the XXI century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
A poster mentioned international events. The Chicago Board of Trade sets the market for worldwide prices on agricultural products.
Chicago has a great variety of ethnic restaurants. Chicago's symphony orchestra is one of the world's best. Many exhibits at the Art Institute draw people from far away places. Thanks to the wife of Potter Palmer, the Art Institute has one of the world's best collections of French Impressionism. The annual SOFA art fair on Navy Pier has many exhibitors/galleries coming from Europe.
That's a good argument however you have to agree that compared to cultural offerings of Paris, its museums and galleries Chicago simply does not stand a chance. I also think that Paris has a larger collection of French impressionism than Chicago and I would even try to stack Chicago Art Insitute or any other Chicago museum against Luvre....

CBOT is (I think) the largest futures exchange in the world but it's sessions hardly constitute a national or international event. I believe Chicago lacks any truly national or international events remaining rather a regional or local tourist attraction.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:13 PM

143 posts, read 290,070 times
Quote:

Do you believe the world actually need to come to Chicago to taste hot dogs, italian beef or cheesake?
Why don't you ask in London or Paris forums? ROTLF
You're right, they wouldn't because they could just get Chicago food in London or Paris...

GHC :: One of ours (http://www.gourmethotdog.co.uk/menu_ours.aspx - broken link) (3rd down)

london chicago pizza - Google Search

Chicago Pizza Pie Factory, Paris, France : Reviews of Chicago Pizza Pie Factory - Yahoo! Travel

The flaw in all your arguements is that if a Chicago event isn't as great as an event in another city such as Paris, then it is a culture-less hole in the ground. Well guess what, I don't even know what the French Open is... so I guess that means according to me, I can laugh (wrongly) at the claims that Paris has international events.

And let's face it...is Chicago really better than London or Paris or New York at a lot of things? Of course not! It's ranked #8 on the most recent global city rankings because it's NOT London, Paris, Tokyo, or New York. But it doesn't have to be in order to be a great city....Otherwise we are you're going to have trouble with all the people from LA, SF, Toronto, DC, Boston, etc... as well.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
You're right, they wouldn't because they could just get Chicago food in London or Paris...

GHC :: One of ours (http://www.gourmethotdog.co.uk/menu_ours.aspx - broken link) (3rd down)

london chicago pizza - Google Search

Chicago Pizza Pie Factory, Paris, France : Reviews of Chicago Pizza Pie Factory - Yahoo! Travel

I still think you could find many more restaurants in Chicago offering French cuisine than vice versa. Let's be real, hotdog, pizza are not culinary paramounts. This is trivial food, nobody travels to get a hotdog or a slice.

Quote:
The flaw in all your arguements is that if a Chicago event isn't as great as an event in another city such as Paris, then it is a culture-less hole in the ground. Well guess what, I don't even know what the French Open is... so I guess that means according to me, I can laugh (wrongly) at the claims that Paris has international events.

I am not surprised, knowing Chicago parochialism I realize you do not know much about the world outside of Chicago but let me assure you this feeling is mutual as the world does not care much about Chicago as well. I only hope that you know how popular tennis is as US Open in New York draws incredible international crowds each and every year. In Chicago it may not be popular but outside of it is one the most popular sports.

Chicago does not have any events that would draw attention of the world even though it claims superiority or world-class standards in so many areas of life. I heard people say Chicago transportation system is world-class or even its culture yet there is so little that would draw attention of the world to this city... Not much to prove the truly international or world-class standard. One symphonic orchestra does not make much difference.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:50 PM

143 posts, read 290,070 times
[quote=dementor;7911700]I still think you could find many more restaurants in Chicago offering French cuisine than vice versa. Let's be real, hotdog, pizza are not culinary paramounts. This is trivial food, nobody travels to get a hotdog or a slice.

This is EXACTLY my point of why you are making yourself look bad, you don't actually aruge points appropriately. I gave you a piece of data that you asked for, and you dismiss it in order to "prove me wrong" versus proving your own point.

Nick Naylor: OK, let's say that you're defending chocolate, and I'm defending vanilla. Now if I were to say to you: 'Vanilla is the best flavour ice-cream', you'd say...
Joey Naylor: No, chocolate is.
Nick Naylor: Exactly, but you can't win that argument... so, I'll ask you: so you think chocolate is the end all and the all of ice-cream, do you?
Joey Naylor: It's the best ice-cream, I wouldn't order any other.
Nick Naylor: Oh! So it's all chocolate for you is it?
Joey Naylor: Yes, chocolate is all I need.
Nick Naylor: Well, I need more than chocolate, and for that matter I need more than vanilla. I believe that we need freedom. And choice when it comes to our ice-cream, and that Joey Naylor, that is the defintion of liberty.
Joey Naylor: But that's not what we're talking about
Nick Naylor: Ah! But that's what I'm talking about.
Joey Naylor: ...but you didn't prove that vanilla was the best...
Nick Naylor: I didn't have to. I proved that you're wrong, and if you're wrong I'm right.
Joey Naylor: But you still didn't convince me

"I am not surprised, knowing Chicago parochialism I realize you do not know much about the world outside of Chicago but let me assure you this feeling is mutual as the world does not care much about Chicago as well. I only hope that you know how popular tennis is as US Open in New York draws incredible international crowds each and every year. In Chicago it may not be popular but outside of it is one the most popular sports."

...And you should read posts closer before you attack someone, it was a hypothetical situation. Of course, I know what the French Open is...I also know what the 2007 AIBA World Boxing Championships and 2006 Gay Games are as well...international events held in Chicago.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:29 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,006 times
They're not international enough!!

Anyway, Joffrey isn't international? The Russian Philharmonic is parochial? Steppenwolf, Lollapallooza, and Second City aren't international? You backed yourself into a corner, dementor, by saying something outlandish (The third biggest metro in the most powerful nation on earth doesn't have international events? You'd have to be half-drunk to even make such a claim), and now you're simply saying even more outlandish things to try to back it up. You'd be better off just dropping that portion of your obsession with Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City