Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Overall, which Sunbelt city (or metro) is the most intimidating and fast-paced?
Los Angeles 94 54.02%
Houston 13 7.47%
Dallas 10 5.75%
Miami-Ft. Lauderdale 26 14.94%
Atlanta 21 12.07%
Las Vegas 7 4.02%
Other (if your choice is not posted) 3 1.72%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 07:48 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
(Like the crowded Midtown McDonalds that tells you to get out of line if you take a little too long to order and had security guards to make sure you did.)
I hate those McDonalds that tell you that you only have 20 minutes to finish your meal. DC has them too but they're always pretty lax about enforcement especially if it isn't too crowded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 07:53 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I hate those McDonalds that tell you that you only have 20 minutes to finish your meal. DC has them too but they're always pretty lax about enforcement especially if it isn't too crowded.
20 minutes is too long! I'm usually done in 10, maybe 5 lmao

Old 09-03-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I think Atlanta's huge amount of trees also can give off a slow pace feel of isolation. I've never been to ATL, but lots of the parts remind me of North Houston where its tons of pine trees and lots of development is hidden.
Perspective is everything. I've never thought of Atlanta as having a lot of trees. To me it's always going to be an unbelievably huge city that gets bigger by the day although I wonder if the recession has changed the growth.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:10 AM

Well I will say that maybe my vote was biased. I voted for Atlanta because like I said before I know more about it. I've heard more tales of how scary it is. At the same time I do remember my trip to LA well. It was my first time away from home without my mom's permission. I actually snuck and bought the plane tickets after being forbidden from going so far from home by myself. I was 20 at the time and needed to assert my independence despite living at home. Buying those plane tickets was the last act of rebellion. So LA has a very special place in my heart.

At the same time I was definitely scared. My stepdad has 13 siblings and even more cousins so of course he had cousins in Carson and Rancho Cucamonga. I was almost compelled to stay with one of them but I refused. I agreed to be picked up by the cousin in Carson. I remember riding through Inglewood seeing how tiny the yards were thinking how strange the city looked and getting a lecture from my cousin to stay out of Hollywood. "There's nothing there but prostitutes and homosexuals!" Of course I spent the most time in Hollywood.

At night though I was always worried about muggers and other bad folks. So I missed out on the nightlife in LA. Had a great time but yeah was scared of my own shadow sometimes but glad I did it. So in a way LA was this place where I got to be brave but at the same time looking back 8 years later I can see how silly it is to call a vacation to California an act of bravery. Really any of those cities can be scary for someone who is sheltered or just isn't used to big cities.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
20 minutes is too long! I'm usually done in 10, maybe 5 lmao
Oh you couldn't eat with me. I can be talkative and will forget to eat if I get ramped up. So I definitely need more than 5 minutes.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:38 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,931,823 times
Quote:
Oh you couldn't eat with me. I can be talkative and will forget to eat if I get ramped up. So I definitely need more than 5 minutes.

You'd fit right in in Greece, lol. They really take their time there and let you sit for 2 hours if you want to. You have to ask for the check; they never bring it to you unless you bring it up. I'm from NY, so usually we eat and as soon as we're done, we're outta there. I don't like sitting around after I'm done eating.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
You'd fit right in in Greece, lol. They really take their time there and let you sit for 2 hours if you want to. You have to ask for the check; they never bring it to you unless you bring it up. I'm from NY, so usually we eat and as soon as we're done, we're outta there. I don't like sitting around after I'm done eating.
Me neither, I don't really even eat in at fast food places. I just get it and go.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Perspective is everything. I've never thought of Atlanta as having a lot of trees. To me it's always going to be an unbelievably huge city that gets bigger by the day although I wonder if the recession has changed the growth.
Compare Atlanta to LA or Miami, even Houston. It has lots of trees, and not any trees, but pine trees.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:28 AM

23,459 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Quote:
Compare Atlanta to LA or Miami, even Houston. It has lots of trees, and not any trees, but pine trees.
We also have a profusion of oaks (in many varieties), magnolias, sourwoods, birches, and God knows what else. Atlanta is lousy with trees, and big ones at that. The pines are nice for winter color, though.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:53 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
And to clarify, I mean that I don't find Atlanta intimidating at all. It's surprisingly accessible compared to other places. Even if it is quite difficult to get around. LOL
So we can come to the conclusion that the more intimidating the city, the faster pace the city will be. I can honestly agree with that. IMO, I don't really find Miami that fast paced outside of Miami Beach. I find Houston much more faster in pace than either Miami, Dallas, or Atlanta. LA though wins this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City