Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 02:34 PM

306 posts, read 475,733 times

Advertisements

We all know that most suburban and rural residents idealize New York City. My question is, what do we, the Major City residents of the U.S., think of New York City? Is it just a bigger version of our city? Something that our city can't even compare to? Is NYC over-rated? Arrogant, self-important, residents? Sellouts? The only true urbanites? Do we even care about NYC?

If you were born, or live in a Major U.S. City, tell us how you view New York as a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 03:01 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,489,563 times
I view NYC as one of the top 3 best cities in the world if not the best

It is the center of the u.s. for fashion, media, restaurants, trends, nightlife, etc.

Everyone complains that it is expensive, but you pay for what you get.

If you like the Mayberry lifestyle then go move their.

You will get Mayberry prices to go along with your Mayberry salary

Old 03-29-2009, 03:14 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,679,798 times
I think of it as the biggest city in the country,something for the US to be proud of.
But on a day to day basis it doesn't come up in regular life.
But also like EVERY major city it is overly and falsely(most of the time) stereotyped and a lot of people maybe are jealous? who knows but it's a great place truely one of a kind and like anywhere with prestige people should feel lucky to have grown up there,but most people have very twisted views of the city either completely good or completely bad.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:15 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,680,004 times
It's a great city. THE City. I'd love to live there. Or I should say, would have when I was younger. I fear it would be too overwhelming for me now. I don't think many people here think about it on a regular basis, unless they're planning a trip.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:26 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
It's a great city. THE City. I'd love to live there. Or I should say, would have when I was younger. I fear it would be too overwhelming for me now. I don't think many people here think about it on a regular basis, unless they're planning a trip.
I agree with this. I've always wanted to visit, but it's not a place I fantasize and think about all day. I use to want to live there as a child, until I grew up and began to think more realistically.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:28 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
Having lived in Paris, Hong Kong, and Tokyo, I'm afraid New York pales in comparison. From the air NYC looks great and it has a few nice neighborhoods, and there's a lot to do. But down at the street level it's got too much crime, too much graffiti, and too much trash compared to other major world cities. People in my circle enjoy visiting New York, but no one I know wants to actually live there. Sorry.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,771,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Having lived in Paris, Hong Kong, and Tokyo, I'm afraid New York pales in comparison. From the air NYC looks great and it has a few nice neighborhoods, and there's a lot to do. But down at the street level it's got too much crime, too much graffiti, and too much trash compared to other major world cities. People in my circle enjoy visiting New York, but no one I know wants to actually live there. Sorry.
People in your circle? Your circle in Tennessee? What is it? The Farmers Circle? I'm intrigued.

And back in the real world,....

Harris Interactive | The Harris Poll - New York City and San Francisco Remain Most Popular Places People Would Choose to Live

Now, my opinion: I think NYC is spectacular. I know people who live in New York City and a few who own apartments there but live overseas. It's a true international address (and is the wealthiest of all the major world cities), and according to crime statistics, New York is a very safe city (safer than all major United States cities). The vast majority of NYC's crime occurs in the undesirable sections of the outer-boroughs.

Anyway, if I had my way I would move back to Paris and live part time in NYC....Tribeca or Central Park West to be exact.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:54 PM

83 posts, read 279,832 times
I agree - really have yet to see the city that NYC "pales in comparison" to. It is definitely NOT for most Americans, and quite unlike the lifestyle and experience in the rest of the country - major cities included. Anyone who thinks it is anything less than America's major city is in horrible denial.

Likewise, I can completely understand and respect how most people would not want to live here, either. I've lived here for five years and love it - but like absinthe it is an acquired taste that, beyond the notoriety, can overwhelm many people. I imagine not having a "Cracker Barrel" hurts its image as well.......

Old 03-29-2009, 04:55 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,238,625 times
Unhappy Paris, Hong Kong and Tokyo are perfect on the STREET level and have no problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Sorry JMT but from here its look like you are being a bit unfair. Not to mention some of your info about crime and graffiti is 20 years out of date! New York and other American cities have their problems compared to SOME international cities, but we certainly have advantages too. For instance how is the multi-cultural experience in the cities you mentioned compared to New York?

Old 03-29-2009, 04:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,771,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Sorry JMT but from here its look like you are being a bit unfair. Not to mention some of your info about crime and graffiti is 20 years out of date! New York and other American cities have their problems compared to SOME international cities, but we certainly have advantages too. For instance how is the multi-cultural experience in the cities you mentioned compared to New York?
His/Her experiences must be out of date, because I was in New York last week and I saw the same out of graffiti and trash flying about (sans the trash bags) in Paris as I did in Manhattan.

NYC is also a very safe for one of 8.3 million. I walked around Manhattan by myself at 12-3 a.m. and I felt safe. I would be scared to death if I tried that in ANY other city in the United States (and I've been to most...well the relevant ones at least).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City