Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2009, 02:52 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times

Advertisements

People in the midwest are always complaining about NYC being expensive? What gives. Expensive is subjective. To a farmer in Iowa, Milwaukee may seem expensive. It all depends on what you are comfy with on a financial level. To me NYC is not expensive at all. You get what you pay for.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:16 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
People in the midwest are always complaining about NYC being expensive? What gives. Expensive is subjective. To a farmer in Iowa, Milwaukee may seem expensive. It all depends on what you are comfy with on a financial level. To me NYC is not expensive at all. You get what you pay for.
According to Forbes, NYC is the most expensive city in which to live (in the U.S.). Why would you wonder why people think that, when it's the truth.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:31 PM

100 posts, read 220,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post

Chicagoans shop at the Mall of America? IN MINNESOTA?
The post I was citing said that one of the great things about Chicago is shopping, so I was pointing out that the Mall of America has shopping. Who cares? Maybe people from Wisconsin or Iowa travel to Chicago for the shopping and think it is some kind of wonderful glamorous experience. But for the rest of the people who actually live in real cities, shopping is a drag and is hardly what we want our cities to be known for.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-22-2010 at 04:04 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 04-12-2009, 04:35 PM

100 posts, read 220,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
According to Forbes, NYC is the most expensive city in which to live (in the U.S.). Why would you wonder why people think that, when it's the truth.
So who cares? People in NYC earn more money. It's all relative. The problem for people in Chicago is, they get what they pay for. Stuck in a very large city empty of the personality and vibe that other cities have in the east and in Europe.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:57 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northEnd View Post
So who cares? People in NYC earn more money. It's all relative. The problem for people in Chicago is, they get what they pay for. Stuck in a very large city empty of the personality and vibe that other cities have in the east and in Europe.
The wages are 17 percent higher in NYC than the national average, but the cost of living is 94 percent higher. Thus, it's harder for those living in NYC to have a bank account in the black. (According to Salary.com)

Old 04-12-2009, 05:02 PM

633 posts, read 1,442,403 times
Quote:
No, actually it doesn't even out. The average Chicagoan's salary is higher relative to the cost of living. I see your point about shopping though. You're right about that! The Mall of America has shopping, and that doesn't make Minneapolis any classier because of it.

The Mag Mile in Chicago is great, but I like it because of the people, not the shopping. I never buy any of that crap.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:08 PM

1,060 posts, read 1,558,376 times
Quote:
Has the highest tax rates,
It's obvious you do not know what you are talking about. Take a look at state income taxes and city property taxes and compare those to New York. Sales tax is small potatoes compared to those major expenses. New York's Tax Burden Trails Only New Jersey's - August 8, 2008 - The New York Sun

Is it true that 40,000 people in NYC pay 50% of the city's taxes? BLOOMY BLASTS RICH TAX - New York Post wow.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:24 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times
Quote:
Has the highest tax rates, the highest murder rate, and the worst winters of any large city in the country.
Well Hendu has already caught your misstatement about taxes. I'll call you on your misstatement about murder rates and winter. While Chicago has a higher rate than NYC, its far from being the highest rate of major cities. Philly, Baltimore, DC, Detroit, Cleveland, New Orleans, and St. Louis are the cities I can name off the top of my head which have higher murder rates.

Regarding winters, I think everyone will agree that the Twin Cities are worse. Also, I didn't find my 5 years in Boston significantly different than Chicago.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:26 PM

259 posts, read 543,313 times
Are any of you "trolls" sure you've actually been to Chicago?
You haven't given me any...ANY example of a smalltown rural mentality...There are people in Chicago from all over not just the rural states. All northern cities have southern roots some how. During the Great Migration southern blacks moved to cities like Stl, Chicago, Detroit, and New York. You guys are just some weirdos on a website that probably aren't even from the cities you claim to be from

Old 04-12-2009, 07:02 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Well Hendu has already caught your misstatement about taxes. I'll call you on your misstatement about murder rates and winter. While Chicago has a higher rate than NYC, its far from being the highest rate of major cities. Philly, Baltimore, DC, Detroit, Cleveland, New Orleans, and St. Louis are the cities I can name off the top of my head which have higher murder rates.

Regarding winters, I think everyone will agree that the Twin Cities are worse. Also, I didn't find my 5 years in Boston significantly different than Chicago.
Well in the class of supersized cities i.e. NYC, LA and Chicago, Chicago has the highest crime rate in EVERY category including murder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City