Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 05:20 PM

25 posts, read 171,015 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

So I need some assistance from some of you all who live in these areas or have lived in several of the areas I have mentioned. I have pretty much decided that I want to something different than living in Central Florida. To give you some background on me, I graduated in 2006 with a Business Administration Degree (Management Major and Marketing Minor) but I have actually found my passion in Photography (specifically wedding and special events photography, even though there have been times that sports photography has popped up in my head). At this point I am looking to join a Photography Team or National Photography Company with the hope of eventually starting my own Photography Business. I do realize that I will probably have to have another full time job while this potentially takes off, and if that is the case I would try to look for something in HR or Recruiting, so that is a factor as well. Personally, I am 25 years old, single (so nothing in terms of a relationship holding me back luckily), and I really just enjoy traveling and experiencing new places, part of the reason why I am looking to move.

I have researched and found photography companies that might be hiring in all 3 of these cities. Obviously with this economy nothing is certain, so while having a job would make the decision either, I am looking to move to one of these 3 cities with or without a guaranteed opportunities. My question to you is what are the pros and cons to each city and given what I told you all about me, which one would you all recommond?

I should also note that I have been to all 3 cities multiple times so I am somewhat familiar with the cities but am by no means an expert. I know 1 person in Atlanta, 2 people in Jacksonville, and nobody in Charlotte.

Here are the pros and cons I have come up with so far:

Jacksonville

Pros: Still in Florida (no state income taxes and lower taxes in general besides property taxes), weather is a little more seasonal than Central Florida, beaches close by, not as transient as all of Central and South Florida, large city so there should be more opportunities than a small town (less than 1 million).

Cons: Still a lot of retirees and growing, could still be a mass exodus of people from the northeast who do not want all the hassle of Central Florida and South Florida. Rent is higher compared to Atlanta and Charlotte. Still very far away from the mountains which I do miss from my time in Kentucky and West Virginia. Too many jobs may still be focused on retirees and tourists (one reason why I have given up on Central Florida).

Atlanta

Pros: Huge city with a lot of national and regional companies, in general a lot of opportunities in terms of a career. Close to the mountains (2-3 hours) while still being a 5 - 6 hour drive from the coast. Closer to family in Kentucky and in general a more central location. You get to experience the change of seasons but for the most part winter is still fairly mild. City seems to be a good place for someone like me who is single, with a younger population in general.

Cons: By far the biggest city I would have lived in, traffic is far worse than Jacksonville or Charlotte. Still have to deal with the transient lifestyle in some regards. Would have to once again pay state income taxes and in general the size could be overwhelming.

Charlotte

Pros: Still a very nice growing city that's not absolutely huge like Atlanta. More of a stable population base that is less transient than Atlanta and Jacksonville and has less retiress and tourists than Jacksonville. Awesome location where you are only 2 miles from the mountains and 3 hours from the coast. Get to experience the seasons and a similar overall climate to Atlanta. A lot of younger people and just in general a very nice area.

Cons: As with Atlanta, would have to pay a state income tax (which I would not in Jacksonville). The only city out of the 3 where I know no one so the transition period could be longer in Charlotte and it could be a lonely first couple of months. Too much of the economy might be focused on banking and financial services sector (similar to too much on the Jacksonville economy being focused on health care and tourism). Out of all 3 cities, more of a closed minded mindset, where they might not accept new people as easily as in Atlanta or Jacksonville.

Obviously I am sure there are some aspects of each city that I do not know about. That is why I am hoping that some of you all will shed some light and give me some information. If you have happened to have lived or spent a long period of time in more than 1 of these cities or all 3 of these cities, which one did you prefer the most?

I just want to get all the information and advice I can before making the final decision.

Austin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 05:04 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Atlanta is more like 1 hour from the mountains...it's a 3 hour drive to Asheville. Atlanta is a 4 hour drive from Savannah.

There are easy ways to avoid traffic, such as live near your job; live in the city and commute outward; live in a less popular area.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:20 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,502,228 times
You probably won't like Jacksonville as much as the other two cities. Isn't really much to do other than the beach. Public transportation is light-years behind that of Atlanta and Charlotte. Felt very country. More of a family raising city.

IMO, Atlanta is the best out of the 3. Not sure about the most affordable out of the 3. Hands down the best nightlife, restaurants, shopping, recreation, arts, museums, etc. Anyway, I suggest staying in all of the cities for a couple of days, and see what you think.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:41 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
One slight correction on Charlotte - they are as welcoming to newcomers as any of the other two cities.

Out of the 3, I would say Jax is the most conservative. The economy in Jax is not tourism based at all either - they really don't have a lot of tourism, it's a true business city.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:43 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
If you want to experience something different then why not get out of the SouthEast altogether?... all those cities offer very similar things and lifestyles.

I'd live in ATL though over them 2, at least you CAN live an urban lifestyle there even if most of the people aren't.

Personally you'd have to PAY me a TON to live in JAX though... I'd be fine in ATL and Char though.

Paying or not paying state income tax is really only something the rich should worry about...If you aren't making huge amounts of cash it isn't going to effect your life very much... That is why all the millionaire retirees or millionaire athletes come to FL, it is a tax shelter.. If you wanna be somewhere just go...

OP I'd say JAX is much more close minded and less cosmopolitan than Charlotte or ATL...

Old 04-10-2009, 03:43 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
One slight correction on Charlotte - they are as welcoming to newcomers as any of the other two cities.
Exactly. We're used to one in every three people we encounter around here to not be from Charlotte, or even the Carolinas.

While Charlotte is still a great city, we are starting to get hammered a bit in the financial services sector, which has ripple effects on other sectors of the local economy. I'd say that Jacksonville's economy might be faring a bit better in this economic climate mainly due to the port. But if I were you, I'd probably go with Atlanta. It's just more fun for a single person and your networking opportunities would obviously be greater.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:29 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post

Out of the 3, I would say Jax is the most conservative. The economy in Jax is not tourism based at all either - they really don't have a lot of tourism, it's a true business city.
Thats true, that's one thing I noticed about JAX, it really is a business city. You could look at all the companies headquartered there and you'll know it's not tourist based city.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:33 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Exactly. We're used to one in every three people we encounter around here to not be from Charlotte, or even the Carolinas.

While Charlotte is still a great city, we are starting to get hammered a bit in the financial services sector, which has ripple effects on other sectors of the local economy. I'd say that Jacksonville's economy might be faring a bit better in this economic climate mainly due to the port. But if I were you, I'd probably go with Atlanta. It's just more fun for a single person and your networking opportunities would obviously be greater.
That's probably the most honest awnser i've heard from somebody form there own city.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:52 PM

3 posts, read 5,902 times
If you love swimming, then don't even think of Atlanta or Charlotte, Jacksonville has beaches and a huge river, while Atlanta and Charlotte are very dry. If you're a mountain Person then there's a debate between Charlotte and Atlanta, considering Jacksonville is in the lowest state in the united States. In size, Jacksonville just blows by both of them. Few people know that Jacksonville is the largest city by area in Mainland 48 states of the United States. Althoa, Atlanta is more of an opportunity city than Jacksonville, it has celebrities and movies have been filmed there as opposed to Jacksonville. Few Celebrities come by and I don't believe any movies have been filmed there. I've never been to Charlotte so my answer is a debate between Jacksonville and Atlanta depending on what you like that I've listed.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:59 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,680,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKidd View Post
If you love swimming, then don't even think of Atlanta or Charlotte, Jacksonville has beaches and a huge river, while Atlanta and Charlotte are very dry. If you're a mountain Person then there's a debate between Charlotte and Atlanta, considering Jacksonville is in the lowest state in the united States. In size, Jacksonville just blows by both of them. Few people know that Jacksonville is the largest city by area in Mainland 48 states of the United States. Althoa, Atlanta is more of an opportunity city than Jacksonville, it has celebrities and movies have been filmed there as opposed to Jacksonville. Few Celebrities come by and I don't believe any movies have been filmed there. I've never been to Charlotte so my answer is a debate between Jacksonville and Atlanta depending on what you like that I've listed.
Oh the newbies.

This is from 4 years ago and 95% of what you said is inaccurate anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City