Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago or Philadelphia
Chicago 191 69.96%
Philadelphia 82 30.04%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 10:32 PM

23 posts, read 11,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Black people from Chicago are originally from Arkansas & Mississippi. Black people from Philly are from North Carolina & Virginia. If you use accents as an example, Philly sounds less southern and more Jersey/New Yorkish with Midatlantic overtones. Black people in Chicago, Cleveland and Detroit sound more southern.
This is accurate. But some Philly folks have a deep Carolina/Tidewater accent still, it is going away though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2020, 06:14 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,884,468 times
This is an interesting article. I haven't ever taken a lot of interest in percentage of Blacks in certain cities, but came across this article, that is enlightening. I didn't know, that Philadelphia has a higher percentage of Blacks in its population. I knew that Chicago was losing its Black population, as they were migrating elsewhere. It appears the same is true of other cities, as well. Anyway, a link to those who are interested. All the disagreement on this thread won't really be pertinent in the long-run, with all the changes these cities are experiencing.

https://chicagocrusader.com/chicago-...otherly%20Love.

Old 10-16-2020, 09:55 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
This is an interesting article. I haven't ever taken a lot of interest in percentage of Blacks in certain cities, but came across this article, that is enlightening. I didn't know, that Philadelphia has a higher percentage of Blacks in its population. I knew that Chicago was losing its Black population, as they were migrating elsewhere. It appears the same is true of other cities, as well. Anyway, a link to those who are interested. All the disagreement on this thread won't really be pertinent in the long-run, with all the changes these cities are experiencing.

Yea even this is dated. Chicago is down to ~28% Black. Philly is 44%. So yea-its much blacker.

Not every city is seeing a net migratoin/loss of its black population. Some notables are though-Chicago being the main one.

Old 10-16-2020, 09:18 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,116,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Courser6 View Post
This is accurate. But some Philly folks have a deep Carolina/Tidewater accent still, it is going away though.
I assume you mean the white population, because that's not true for black Philadelphians. You're most-likely to find traces of southern influence from slang rather than accent. Off the top of my head, one example is the slang term "jawn" , which originated from Memphis in which they pronounce "jawn" as "junt" (no, New York didn't create it despite the the media's narrative). I've heard few people in Tampa use it the same way as we do in Philly as well as Baltimore. I don't think it's popular in the DMV, they have their own slang.
There's still a greater northern influence overall . I understand New York slang better and there's far more
terms we use from New York in Philly than Baltimore, Norfolk, Charlotte, Atlanta ect;

Old 10-16-2020, 09:36 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,116,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post

It's been 40% for the past 30 years, yet the stereotypical Philadelphian is seen as a blue-collar Italian-american, or an angry white Eagle fan. The media ( both local and national) does a poor job at marketing/depicting the black population here. And whenever we're given any attention, it's usually about crime or Meek Mill and Lil Uzi, as if they're the only 2 prominent black Philadelphians.

Old 10-16-2020, 11:08 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
I assume you mean the white population, because that's not true for black Philadelphians. You're most-likely to find traces of southern influence from slang rather than accent. Off the top of my head, one example is the slang term "jawn" , which originated from Memphis in which they pronounce "jawn" as "junt" (no, New York didn't create it despite the the media's narrative). I've heard few people in Tampa use it the same way as we do in Philly as well as Baltimore. I don't think it's popular in the DMV, they have their own slang.
There's still a greater northern influence overall . I understand New York slang better and there's far more
terms we use from New York in Philly than Baltimore, Norfolk, Charlotte, Atlanta ect;
People in Baltimore don't say Jawn. People in DC say "Jont."
Baltimore influences Philly in more ways than slang.

Old 10-16-2020, 11:13 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,895,774 times
Quote:
It originated in " Memphis?" When? Because I clearly remember this word coming out in and around 1977. I did not know people were saying it in Tennessee during that time.

I know that New York was saying " Joint", and Philly transitioned to the word Jawn. The part about anywhere south, or anywhere else as matter of fact is a new revelation to me.

Old 10-16-2020, 11:28 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,139 times
While Philadelphia is geographically closer to the U.S. South than Chicago, there is not a single person in Philadelphia or Pennsylvania, for that matter, who would consider himself or herself a Southerner because most families in this region are not historically connected to the U.S. South. The vast majority of people who reside in southeastern Pennsylvania area are descendants of European immigrants who arrived at Philadelphia in the late 19th and early 20th centuries or English colonial settlers who arrived at Philadelphia in the 17th and 18th centuries and have always lived in Pennsylvania. On the other hand, Chicago was largely populated by Southern blacks and whites who migrated northward from the Mississippi Delta region in the first half of the 20th century. Of course, Philadelphia received an equally high number of Southern émigrés as Chicago during the Great Migration; however, most of the Southern émigrés in Philadelphia were black. Similar to Cincinnati, Detroit and Indianapolis, Chicago received a lot of Southern whites, in addition to Southern blacks, and therein lies a major cultural disparity between the two cities as it relates to "Southerness."

Old 10-17-2020, 08:42 AM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:
Honestly Junt,Joint, Jawn is more an example of African American Vernacular English than just simply chalking it up to the south. But of course the South is pretty much the foundation and origin of AAVE due to majority of AA’s coming from the region.

I believe just about every region of Black ppl use noun words similar to how Jawn is used to describe things, places, people.

Philly might say: We in this Jawn
Memphis/Atlanta or other southern areas might say: We in this junt or we in this thang.
NYC might say: We up in this joint or we up in this piece
Texas/Louisiana or Cali might say: we in this b*tch or even we in this h*e

You kinda get the jest. And I’m probably going to assume this type of AAVE became popular in America through Jazz music in the 20s.

Old 10-17-2020, 09:48 AM

724 posts, read 402,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
While Philadelphia is geographically closer to the U.S. South than Chicago, there is not a single person in Philadelphia or Pennsylvania, for that matter, who would consider himself or herself a Southerner because most families in this region are not historically connected to the U.S. South. The vast majority of people who reside in southeastern Pennsylvania area are descendants of European immigrants who arrived at Philadelphia in the late 19th and early 20th centuries or English colonial settlers who arrived at Philadelphia in the 17th and 18th centuries and have always lived in Pennsylvania. On the other hand, Chicago was largely populated by Southern blacks and whites who migrated northward from the Mississippi Delta region in the first half of the 20th century. Of course, Philadelphia received an equally high number of Southern émigrés as Chicago during the Great Migration; however, most of the Southern émigrés in Philadelphia were black. Similar to Cincinnati, Detroit and Indianapolis, Chicago received a lot of Southern whites, in addition to Southern blacks, and therein lies a major cultural disparity between the two cities as it relates to "Southerness."
I don't know the history. I'm from the Midwest and Chicago had very little historic southern white migration. It's what makes it the odd ball of the Midwest. A very large portion of whites from Chicago are of European decent (I think it was well over 1/3 at one point). Other midwestern cities have more southern influence. I don't know about Philly. I would guess given that they are close to the Southern US they probably have a good share of Southern migration from Whites. Although it seems they also are known for a sizable European-decent population (Italian/Irish). In Chicago, Polish are the dominant European background (more than any city outside maybe New York). There is also a very large Irish, Italian, Ukranian, and Greek decent. It is what makes Chicago demographically feel somewhat like a Northeast city. Although 1/3 of the population being Latino (mostly Mexican) is another oddball characteristic of Chicago. Chicago is a pretty unique city when you closely examine it. It's not very characteristically "midwest."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City