Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2009, 02:18 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,692,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Most people moving south are old? Seriously? I am in my second semester at The University of Texas. In my two semesters three of my teacher's assistants from two different classes are graduate students from NEW YORK!! I had no idea they were elderly though. I could have sworn they were all in their mid to late 20s. And that is just the TA's I have had from New York. There are also some from Ohio and Penn. So much for that theory...once again a northerner throws out unsubstantial BS arguments due to their perception instead of reality.
Your in a college!! Of course people are going to be young.. stupid example don't you think... I mean there's not that many elders in college that you can ask where they're from
-and your in TX.. that's not really the southern area of what i'm referring to, I know TX is growing for all sorts of reasons.. so relax. You're not giving the south justice by your point of view at a college in TX.

Like i said, i can say the same when i was at Rutgers University of NJ.. many people from NC, SC, GA, and TX were there.

YOUNG PEOPLE FROM EVERYWHERE MOVE EVERYWHERE! North and South both have many young people moving in... But the south has the biggest growth because that's the most popular place when people retire... i mean and i'm wrong? is this offensive to southerns or what?

I mean how many times do i have to say i know young people also move down south.. but in comparison to either mid aged or elderly, young growth is probably close to equal with northern young growth

sheesh

Last edited by Newarkbomb; 04-20-2009 at 02:34 PM..

Old 04-20-2009, 02:30 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,324,795 times
FWIW...^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

'You're', not 'Your'
'course', not 'coarse'

Sorry, it just hurts my eyes.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:35 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,692,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
FWIW...^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

'You're', not 'Your'
'course', not 'coarse'

Sorry, it just hurts my eyes.
Thanks for letting me know.. the "you're" was a mistake, the "course" one was all on me, i always forget what Course/Coarse to use :X

Old 04-20-2009, 05:12 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,074,448 times
As too way people hate the South, I have no idea but I can say the reason why the South is exploding is because it offers huge tax breaks to companies and that is a great attraction for these companies to relocate from the North to the South thus people following them as that is were their job is going. The home median prices are also cheaper then the north so add that into the mix and others who are looking for a job will relocate to the south from the North.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:14 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,522,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn's Finest View Post
I don't think it does. I didn't say I hated or disliked the south...I merely said that the south is an easy target for ridicule. That's all. So defensive. Gawd.
Mnay people could say the same thing about NYC though. It is an easy target for ridicule

Old 04-20-2009, 05:15 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,550,004 times
Some of the recent posts explain a lot

Old 04-20-2009, 08:51 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,711,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Mnay people could say the same thing about NYC though. It is an easy target for ridicule
I don't think that NYC is an easy target for ridicule. You are just saying that because you are being defensive about it.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:11 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,496,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Most people moving south are old? Seriously? I am in my second semester at The University of Texas. In my two semesters three of my teacher's assistants from two different classes are graduate students from NEW YORK!! I had no idea they were elderly though. I could have sworn they were all in their mid to late 20s. And that is just the TA's I have had from New York. There are also some from Ohio and Penn. So much for that theory...once again a northerner throws out unsubstantial BS arguments due to their perception instead of reality.
i went to the university of sc....... over half of my professors were from the north.

buffalo, chicago, michigan, nj, etc.

it is called jobs. people move for them

Old 04-20-2009, 09:13 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,496,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
wel I will say that you are wrong. Many of the people that are moving south are in their late 20s-early 40s. Over 300,000 people have moved to Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston combined each year since 2000. I bet half of those 300,000 thousand people are not even over the age of 50.
it is my opinion. there is nothing that you can say to convince me otherwise.

i think the majority of the people that move to the south are for retirement

So, I will say that you are wrong

Old 04-20-2009, 11:46 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,711,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
it is my opinion. there is nothing that you can say to convince me otherwise.

i think the majority of the people that move to the south are for retirement

So, I will say that you are wrong
I agree, because all my professors that I had in NYC they said that they will be moving to the South after they retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.