U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-20-2009, 12:18 AM
 
Location: Teaneck, NJ
1,576 posts, read 5,126,893 times
Reputation: 683

Advertisements

Northeners (NY, NJ, CT, MA) move south when they grow OLD, you don't see as many young northners moving to the south.. People who owwned homes for a while sell their homes up north which probably cost twice as much to what they can get in most of the south.

In the North it's the best place to grow up, get an education, get high paying jobs, buying a first home, and raising a family. Then as you age and the expensive way of living starts to get pointless since the family is done growing and you get used to all the amenities of the north, selling the home and buying another in the south ends up being a huge hell of a deal.

So it's not necessarily people moving to the south because it's their dream but because the peak of the persons life is for the most part over and done with and buying a cheaper nicer home for a way better deal is a good way of living the other half of their slower paced life. and also get away from harsher winters.


North has a lot more to offer overall, hense it being so expensive.. But personally, if anything, When i grow older and i'm done growing a family and i get tiered of the fast paced life i'll move upward into upstate NY near Albany where it's also very cheap.. (I dont mind the winters around the Albany area.)

 
Old 04-20-2009, 02:56 AM
 
5,772 posts, read 13,694,869 times
Reputation: 4583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
You can find people who appreciate art and culture in every place, just like you can find uncultured people in every place. The key is ratios. And not all areas have the same ratios.

For example, do you think the ratio of theater goers is the same in Huntsville as it is in Minneapolis? Is literacy the same? That doesn't mean that everyone in Huntsville is an uneducated philistine, but it means if these are things you value, the choice is clear.
You quite reasonably point out that levels of interest in the arts, etc., will vary from place to place. However, too many of these people who get onto threads like this and completely bash the South make the entire region out to be rife with inbreeding, and a place where basically no one has any education, or interest in the finer things. I did not particularly mean to single out one user with the posts I quoted in my earlier post. Those were meant to be representative of a number of views expressed on this thread. Those quoted posts were especially tempting to take a shot at, since they singled out Huntsville as an example of the South as some totally backward place, "filled with rednecks," when Huntsville is a white-collar center of high tech.

Given that Mnnpls. supposedly has the most theater seats per capita of any U.S. city other than NYC, I'd guess that there is less interest in theater in Huntsville than in Mnnpls. in particular, but given the general feel of Huntsville's populace, I'd guess that Huntsville does pretty well in regard to interest in higher culture when compared to many cities people would usually assume would support the arts strongly. As for literacy, I don't have figures on literacy per se, but take a look at C-D's front page for Huntsville, and you'll see percentages of the population holding various degrees that are above the national average, not surprising given the economic base in Huntsville. This would lead me to guess that Huntsville's literacy rate most likely compares quite well to that in the Twin Cities. I'm no fan of prejudice rooted in ignorance, no matter which place, group of people, etc., is the object of such prejudice. When an educated city like Huntsville was singled out as the example of how the South is supposedly full to the brim with nothing but a bunch of backward hicks, as I said above, it was too tempting to take a shot at that one. However, unfortunately, as also pointed out above, those posts were representative of quite a few others on here.
 
Old 04-20-2009, 03:08 AM
 
5,772 posts, read 13,694,869 times
Reputation: 4583
Default as a matter of fact . . .

Here are City Data's front-page stats for percentages of the populations in Mnnpls. and Huntsville who have various levels of education:

For population 25 years and over in Minneapolis

High school or higher: 85.0%
Bachelor's degree or higher: 37.4%
Graduate or professional degree: 13.1%


For population 25 years and over in Huntsville

High school or higher: 85.7%
Bachelor's degree or higher: 36.1%
Graduate or professional degree: 12.7%.

As you can see, they are essentially the same for all levels of education. One might raise the question of how greater Huntsville would compare to the entire Twin Cities metro, but that kind of nitpicking would miss the point I was trying to make earlier, that mentioning Huntsville specifically as an example of some uneducated hickish Suhthuhn backwater provides an especially pointed example of the way these attitudes expressed by those who love to get onto threads like this one and bash the South are rooted in ignorance.
 
Old 04-20-2009, 04:33 AM
 
1,201 posts, read 1,982,097 times
Reputation: 717
Default gimme that ole tyme 'ligin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
No I'm just pointing out that learning the religion of the region isn't a prerequisite to learning and/or experiencing the culture.
i did not read your interpretation in to that post. i read it that in considering the religion, which often forms the spoke of a family, you are led to a much deeper understanding of the culture. and, w/out a doubt---particularly in the black community, religion and the local church/congregation are central to the black polity. these churches/congregations are basically what the town hall meeting was to new england years ago.
 
Old 04-20-2009, 04:47 AM
 
1,201 posts, read 1,982,097 times
Reputation: 717
Default put it in writing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
Northeners (NY, NJ, CT, MA) move south when they grow OLD, you don't see as many young northners moving to the south.. People who owwned homes for a while sell their homes up north which probably cost twice as much to what they can get in most of the south.

In the North it's the best place to grow up, get an education, get high paying jobs, buying a first home, and raising a family. Then as you age and the expensive way of living starts to get pointless since the family is done growing and you get used to all the amenities of the north, selling the home and buying another in the south ends up being a huge hell of a deal.

So it's not necessarily people moving to the south because it's their dream but because the peak of the persons life is for the most part over and done with and buying a cheaper nicer home for a way better deal is a good way of living the other half of their slower paced life. and also get away from harsher winters.


North has a lot more to offer overall, hense it being so expensive.. But personally, if anything, When i grow older and i'm done growing a family and i get tiered of the fast paced life i'll move upward into upstate NY near Albany where it's also very cheap.. (I dont mind the winters around the Albany area.)
will you put that in writing...are "old people" not counted as people any longer in the north? your post is about the 4th one from your region that has been dismissive and dispairaging of the elderly... why not just burn their houses down where they'll hurry and get out of the way? maybe you could just set the house on fire while they're inside asleep...or take the lugnuts off their car wheels---if you can get to them, perhaps their wheelchairs. after all, they have spent out rearing their children---probably several grandchildren---and, we are living in a disposable culture.
 
Old 04-20-2009, 05:06 AM
 
1,201 posts, read 1,982,097 times
Reputation: 717
Default hey, obama jr...check yourself genuis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Here are City Data's front-page stats for percentages of the populations in Mnnpls. and Huntsville who have various levels of education:

For population 25 years and over in Minneapolis

High school or higher: 85.0%
Bachelor's degree or higher: 37.4%
Graduate or professional degree: 13.1%


For population 25 years and over in Huntsville

High school or higher: 85.7%
Bachelor's degree or higher: 36.1%
Graduate or professional degree: 12.7%.

As you can see, they are essentially the same for all levels of education. One might raise the question of how greater Huntsville would compare to the entire Twin Cities metro, but that kind of nitpicking would miss the point I was trying to make earlier, that mentioning Huntsville specifically as an example of some uneducated hickish Suhthuhn backwater provides an especially pointed example of the way these attitudes expressed by those who love to get onto threads like this one and bash the South are rooted in ignorance.
did you correct the Zscore...do you have your CoE's corrected, what sample Moderator cut: personal attack did you use. did you correct for numbers? the two metro areas of the northwest, if your numbers are correct in fact, would be skewed in favor of the two nw cities. if your numbers are accepted, the correlation to the much smaller huntsville would prove even more the report of those referenced books. perhaps you would do well to have those numbers run stastically through NASA @ huntsville. i, if i deem it worthy of my time, might contact some former professors of mine at MIT, in a northern city, to have them work some numbers for me. do you have a problem w/ MIT? if so, we could try COLUMBIA in nyc, it is an eastern thang, or WILLIAM and MARY. another eastern thang, south.

Last edited by houstoner; 04-20-2009 at 07:31 AM.. Reason: personal attack
 
Old 04-20-2009, 06:34 AM
 
Location: Houston Texas
2,898 posts, read 2,868,140 times
Reputation: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
Northeners (NY, NJ, CT, MA) move south when they grow OLD, you don't see as many young northners moving to the south.. People who owwned homes for a while sell their homes up north which probably cost twice as much to what they can get in most of the south.

In the North it's the best place to grow up, get an education, get high paying jobs, buying a first home, and raising a family. Then as you age and the expensive way of living starts to get pointless since the family is done growing and you get used to all the amenities of the north, selling the home and buying another in the south ends up being a huge hell of a deal.

So it's not necessarily people moving to the south because it's their dream but because the peak of the persons life is for the most part over and done with and buying a cheaper nicer home for a way better deal is a good way of living the other half of their slower paced life. and also get away from harsher winters.


North has a lot more to offer overall, hense it being so expensive.. But personally, if anything, When i grow older and i'm done growing a family and i get tiered of the fast paced life i'll move upward into upstate NY near Albany where it's also very cheap.. (I dont mind the winters around the Albany area.)
I moved to Texas when I was 20 because that is where all the hot college girls were. Now I am 26 and meet people all the time in their 20's from the North. I do respect your opinion though as you don't mindlessly bash the South though
 
Old 04-20-2009, 06:57 AM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
22,794 posts, read 34,834,369 times
Reputation: 14920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
Northeners (NY, NJ, CT, MA) move south when they grow OLD, you don't see as many young northners moving to the south.
Really? Go visit the northern suburbs of Atlanta sometime; the typical family there (and I mean young family) is transplanted from the north. The same can be said for Dallas, Houston, Charlotte, Nashville and Orlando.
 
Old 04-20-2009, 07:12 AM
 
2,057 posts, read 4,859,673 times
Reputation: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Really? Go visit the northern suburbs of Atlanta sometime; the typical family there (and I mean young family) is transplanted from the north. The same can be said for Dallas, Houston, Charlotte, Nashville and Orlando.
i dont agree.

i think the majority of the people moving south are the ones that plan on croaking soon
 
Old 04-20-2009, 07:14 AM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
22,794 posts, read 34,834,369 times
Reputation: 14920
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc1day View Post
i dont agree.

I think the majority of the people moving south are the ones that plan on croaking soon
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top