Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 10:53 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
The many live venue acts have created a series of musicians, both legends and flavor of the moment, that have come from Mpls/St. Paul. And for being so "non-diverse," funny how the Twin Cities produced Prince, Morris Day, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis, and Mint Condition.
None of those artists have done anything significant in at least a decade. Prince is washed up. Morris Day & the Time was only big back in the 80's (besides their cameo in Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back). Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis aren't well-known beyond being Janet Jackson's producers, and I've never even heard of Mint Condition before.

Quote:
A very strong underground hiphop scene is present and well-known.

Atmosphere and Brother Ali are total garbage.

Quote:
Says who? lol.

And als ot true, there are sizeable populations of Latinos in both Minneapolis and Saint Paul (around 10%) and also in surrounding suburbs. Milwaukee is only 15% latino...why are you trying to make the community sound so huge a la Chicago?
Latino population
City of Milwaukee = 87,905
City of Minneapolis + City of St. Paul = 58,204

Quote:
Wrong, I've been all over, and I'm not a student. The intermixing in Sherman park is Hood, then Orthodox Jewish, then Hood again. Living in close proximity =/= intermixing. The segregation is jarring compared to many other cities.

I'm also black...I notice when I stand out, have had a of practice with it, lol.
Most Northern cities with large African American populations are hyper segregated, but I wouldn't expect you to understand being from Minnesota and all. Buffalo and Pittsburgh have even worse reputations than Milwaukee in this regard.

Quote:
That's cool. I was referring to within the United States, however.
Last time I checked Chicago, Cleveland, LA, Boston, NYC, and SF were still part of the US.

Quote:
The funny thing is that if you compare MSAs, MSP has a lower percentage, but still a higher overall number of Latinos. Funny.
What's funny about it? The Twin Cities CSA is 2x larger than Milwaukee's CSA.

Total population
Milwaukee-Racine-Waukesha, WI Combined Statistical Area

Minneapolis-St. Paul-St. Cloud, MN-WI Combined Statistical Area

HISPANIC OR LATINO AND RACE
152,351 (8.7%)

165,460 (4.6%)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 12:31 PM

787 posts, read 1,695,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
None of those artists have done anything significant in at least a decade. Prince is washed up. Morris Day & the Time was only big back in the 80's (besides their cameo in Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back). Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis aren't well-known beyond being Janet Jackson's producers, and I've never even heard of Mint Condition before.

Your opinion. And those aren't aren't even all the prominent hiphop artists on the scen. They have national attention though...Milwaukee's scene? lmao. Do y'all have one?

There are many current bands out too: Tapes 'n tapes, The Soviettes, and other less nationally-prominent acts. A very large and healthy number.

Latino population
City of Milwaukee = 87,905
City of Minneapolis + City of St. Paul = 58,204

Most Northern cities with large African American populations are hyper segregated, but I wouldn't expect you to understand being from Minnesota and all. Buffalo and Pittsburgh have even worse reputations than Milwaukee in this regard.

Now you're trying to be patronizing? Lmfbao.

What do you know about segregation? I'm sure you're from lily-white suburbia. been to, seen many, many places. You obviously haven't. The black/white segregation between city and suburbs is STARK in Milwaukee.

But I wouldn't expect you to understand, being from Wisconsin and all.

Last time I checked Chicago, Cleveland, LA, Boston, NYC, and SF were still part of the US.

The list and rankings ("Big Five") I referred to were within the U.S.

What's funny about it? The Twin Cities CSA is 2x larger than Milwaukee's CSA.

Total population

HISPANIC OR LATINO AND RACE
152,351 (8.7%)

165,460 (4.6%)

So 4.6% versus 8.7%. Oh. my. God. So crazy!!

Old 10-12-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Your opinion. And those aren't aren't even all the prominent hiphop artists on the scen. They have national attention though...Milwaukee's scene? lmao. Do y'all have one?

There are many current bands out too: Tapes 'n tapes, The Soviettes, and other less nationally-prominent acts. A very large and healthy number.

You guys have grossly overblown the prominence of Minneapolis' music scene
, much the same way Omaha thinks they're the new Austin.

Quote:
Now you're trying to be patronizing? Lmfbao.

What do you know about segregation? I'm sure you're from lily-white suburbia. been to, seen many, many places. You obviously haven't. The black/white segregation between city and suburbs is STARK in Milwaukee.

But I wouldn't expect you to understand, being from Wisconsin and all.
Actually, I spent half of my childhood in NW Denver which was mostly Latino back in the late 80's/early 90's. Denver is similar to Minneapolis in that it is more integrated than Milwaukee. However, Denver and Minneapolis are both much wealthier and have less diverse populations than Milwaukee, so it's not really a fair comparison. Don't pretend like Milwaukee is alone in being segregated. Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Baltimore, and DC are all very segregated cities as well.

Quote:
The list and rankings ("Big Five") I referred to were within the U.S.

Chicago, Cleveland, LA, Boston, NYC, and SF are within the US.

Quote:
So 4.6% versus 8.7%. Oh. my. God. So crazy!!
1/5 people in the City of Milwaukee is Latino. 1/10 people in Greater Milwaukee is Latino. 1/10 people in Minneapolis is Latino. 1/20 people in the Twin Cities is Latino. I'd say that's quite a significant difference.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:

You guys have grossly overblown the prominence of Minneapolis' music scene, much the same way Omaha thinks they're the new Austin.

Actually, the attention is both local and national. It's been that way since the 80's (Even before, if you count Bob Dylan). Not that it's at the top, but it's always been pretty significant.

Actually, I spent half of my childhood in NW Denver which was mostly Latino back in the late 80's/early 90's. Denver is similar to Minneapolis in that it is more integrated than Milwaukee. However, Denver and Minneapolis are both much wealthier and have less diverse populations than Milwaukee, so it's not really a fair comparison. Don't pretend like Milwaukee is alone in being segregated. Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Baltimore, and DC are all very segregated cities as well.

Been to many of the cities listed above. Why do almost none of them have the abrupt absence of black people in the burbs that Milwaukee does?

Chicago, Cleveland, LA, Boston, NYC, and SF are within the US.

If you want to be dense, continue.

1/5 people in the City of Milwaukee is Latino. 1/10 people in Greater Milwaukee is Latino. 1/10 people in Minneapolis is Latino. 1/20 people in the Twin Cities is Latino. I'd say that's quite a significant difference.

Milwaukee is 20% Latino, and 10% Latino in its metro area? Really. Never one to exaggerate numbers are we. I've lived in both places.

The difference is not as noticeable as between blacks in Milwaukee vs. MSP or Asians in MSP vs. Milwaukee.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:33 AM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,819 times
Quote:

You guys have grossly overblown the prominence of Minneapolis' music scene, much the same way Omaha thinks they're the new Austin.
What? I'm from down south and one of the reasons people knew of Minneapolis was because of its music scene. When I lived in Denver, the media and people constantly talked about bands from Minneapolis. The area has and continues to produce so many great musicians and bands; much more so than Omaha and Austin. Anyone with some music industry knowledge would agree. I suggest you do some research on most influential music cities / centers in this country.

Musicians and bands I can think of from the Minneapolis area:

American Head Charge
Atmosphere
Babes in Toyland
Birthday Suits
Brother Ali
Captain Yonder
Cloud Cult
Dillinger Four
Eyedea & Abilities
Fog
Haley Bonar
Halloween Alaska
Hüsker Dü
Idle Hands
Information Society
Jayhawks
Kid Dakota
Mason Jennings
Mel Gibson and the Pants
Mint Condition
Motion City Soundtrack
Next
P.O.S.
Prince
Quietdrive
Replacements
Retribution Gospel Choir
Semisonic
Solid Gold
Sounds of Blackness
Soul Asylum
Tapes 'n Tapes

I can go on and on, but I think you got it. And the fact that you haven't heard of some or all of these groups/artisits says more about your knowledge of music, or lack thereof.

Quote:
Prince is washed up.
LOL! Prince holds the record for the most sold out shows at the O2 arena in London (21 nights), which was two years ago? He also continues to infuence the music industry in several ways. He's hardly washed up.

** Michael Jackson would have had the O2 record, but we all know what happened.

Quote:
Last time I heard both Atmosphere and Brother Ali were doing very well. They are both selling out shows throughout the country. With that said, several thousands, perhaps millions would disagree with your statement that they're garbage.

Last edited by BlackOut; 10-15-2009 at 01:15 AM..

Old 10-15-2009, 12:39 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Chi-Town(coolest), Detroit, Cleveland, Minneapolis, St.Paul, are all cool.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
What? I'm from down south and one of the reasons people knew of Minneapolis was because of its music scene. When I lived in Denver, the media and people constantly talked about bands from Minneapolis. The area has and continues to produce so many great musicians and bands; much more so than Omaha and Austin. Anyone with some music industry knowledge would agree. I suggest you do some research on most influential music cities / centers in this country.

Musicians and bands I can think of from the Minneapolis area:

American Head Charge
Atmosphere (total garbage, terrible excuse for hip-hop)
Babes in Toyland
Birthday Suits
Brother Ali (see Atmosphere)
Captain Yonder
Cloud Cult
Dillinger Four
Eyedea & Abilities (see Atmosphere)
Fog
Haley Bonar
Halloween Alaska
Hüsker Dü (influential punk band, hasn't released an album since 1988)
Idle Hands
Information Society
Jayhawks
Kid Dakota
Mason Jennings
Mel Gibson and the Pants
Mint Condition
Motion City Soundtrack
Next (one hit wonders from the late 90's)
P.O.S.
Prince (last #1 single in the US was "Cream" waay back in 1991)
Quietdrive
Replacements
Retribution Gospel Choir
Semisonic
Solid Gold
Sounds of Blackness
Soul Asylum (hasn't been relevant since the early 90's)
Tapes 'n Tapes

I can go on and on, but I think you got it. And the fact that you haven't heard of some or all of these groups/artisits says more about your knowledge of music, or lack thereof.
Keep telling yourself whatever helps you sleep at night. The highlighted artists are the only ones I've ever heard of.

Quote:
LOL! Prince holds the record for the most sold out shows at the O2 arena in London (21 nights), which was two years ago? He also continues to infuence the music industry in several ways. He's hardly washed up.

** Michael Jackson would have had the O2 record, but we all know what happened.
What's your point? Celine Dion and Cher sell out shows everyday in Las Vegas, but it doesn't mean their music is of a high caliber or that they're not washed up.

Quote:
Last time I heard both Atmosphere and Brother Ali were doing very well. They are both selling out shows throughout the country. With that said, several thousands, perhaps millions would disagree with your statement that they're garbage.
None of them has ever achieved platinum status or even come remotely close to it. They sell out small club dates, they're not selling out arenas like Jay-Z.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Keep telling yourself whatever helps you sleep at night. The highlighted artists are the only ones I've ever heard of.

What's your point? Celine Dion and Cher sell out shows everyday in Las Vegas, but it doesn't mean their music is of a high caliber or that they're not washed up.

None of them has ever achieved platinum status or even come remotely close to it. They sell out small club dates, they're not selling out arenas like Jay-Z.

lmao, you're just a hater! Your jealously of MSP is comical...once again: what famous musicians, hell, famous people, has Milwaukee produced? What famous scenes or moments in musical history? When did people ever say that there was such a thing as a "Milwaukee Sound?"

Old 10-15-2009, 02:17 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,008,520 times
Minneapolis is not on par with SF, just as Milwaukee is not on par with Minneapolis. Lots of times size matters, just as simple as that. Nobody even mentioned Milwaukee as a candidate. They were comparing Minneapolis with *Madison*.

Quote:
As far as Minneapolis being underrated, that's definitely not the case with the people who live there. You guys seem to think you're on par with the likes of SF, the same way SF thinks its on par with the likes of Paris. Keep dreaming. You guys probably have the 2nd most comprehensive city in the Midwest, but you're not the best at everything.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:30 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,819 times
Nor does anyone believe Minneapolis is on par with San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City