Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: LA vs Toronto
Los Angeles 277 56.30%
Toronto 215 43.70%
Voters: 492. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 07:16 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Too bad for people who are scared of cars, you mean.

Few walkable areas, huh?

Los Angeles, California Neighborhoods on Walk Score

Note the green patches running throughout the LA Basin (indicates good walk-ability). Also note the big chunks of red--those are the mountainous regions that drag LA's cumulative score, like it's overall density numbers, down.
Los Angeles has tons of walkable areas.

I was down there a few months ago and commented in another thread how impressed I was at the pedestrian activity on Sunset and Wilshire all the way to Westside from Hollywood there were people everywhere.

Furthermore, LA feels like a megacity and only New York exudes that same vibe. Neither Toronto nor any other US/Canadian city really comes close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 07:21 AM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Los Angeles has tons of walkable areas.

I was down there a few months ago and commented in another thread how impressed I was at the pedestrian activity on Sunset and Wilshire all the way to Westside from Hollywood there were people everywhere.

Furthermore, LA feels like a megacity and only New York exudes that same vibe. Neither Toronto nor any other US/Canadian city really comes close.
Yeah, they do have some. How do you get to those walkable areas though? People can't walk there to get to them, they drive!

Old 11-03-2011, 07:29 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
I do not believe anyone knows what an urban city is if they have to ask how someone buys toothpaste without a car. All credibility was lost with that question.
That was a debate on "owning a car vs public transport". With a car you can stop and grab toothpaste/pay a bill/grab a burger via drive-thru/purchase a TV and take it home with you that day/pay your mother a visit. All in the same trip, actually. You can't do any of that while riding the subway. No surprise that you missed the point I was making.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 11-03-2011 at 07:37 AM..

Old 11-03-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Yeah, they do have some. How do you get to those walkable areas though? People can't walk there to get to them, they drive!
Here come the spinjobs I was talking about. LA does have public transport. It isn't comprehensive, but it's there. A car-phobe can easily get by without a car, especially if they live and work in the areas West of downtown (Hollywood, Sawtelle, WeHo, Santa Monica, etc etc).

Old 11-03-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
That was a debate on "owning a car vs public transport". With a car you can stop and grab toothpaste/pay a bill/grab a burger via drive-thru/purchase a TV and take it home with you that day/pay your mother a visit. All in the same trip, actually. You can't do any of that while riding the subway. No surprise that you missed the point I was making.
Yes, you can. Again, if LA was truly urban and you did not own a car this you would know this already.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Yes, you can. Again, if LA was truly urban and you did not own a car this you would know this already.
No, you can't. You can get off the subway, do what you need to do, then get back on, but that's hardly more convenient than driving. You can't just buy a big screen TV and take it with you on the subway, and if your mom lives deep in Suffolk County, for example, you can't just 'decide' to pay her a visit on a whim either. You have to look at subway times, bus schedules/routes, all that fun stuff.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:58 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,660,935 times
Toronto is a beast of a metropolis, while L.A. struggles to be a proper city.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:12 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Density and public transportation are two of the dumbest, and overused criteria when evaluating a city, IMO. I wish people would get through their thick skulls that not everyone wants to ride a crowded, hot, train. Options are beautiful thing,hell,even I take the train when I go downtown to avoid parking and traffic, but some of you take it to the next level with this sh*t. You would think that with all this crap about public transportation being brought up by cities like: NYC, DC, Chicago, Boston, and Philly, that they would have some of the best traffic on the nation, however, studies prove otherwise.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
Toronto is a beast of a metropolis, while L.A. struggles to be a proper city.
5 million people spread out over 2700 square miles...how beastly! The frightening urbanity of it all, somebody hold me

Meanwhile, poor suburban L.A. needs 750 connected square miles to hit the 7.5 million mark. Maybe someday it'll be a big city too. One can dream.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
5 million people spread out over 2700 square miles...how beastly! The frightening urbanity of it all, somebody hold me

Meanwhile, poor suburban L.A. needs 750 connected square miles to hit the 7.5 million mark. Maybe someday it'll be a big city too. One can dream.
Toronto has a world class subway system, something LA will never have
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City