Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 02:52 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,341,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
We have the right to express our opinions on any thread that we want to, be it Atlanta, Charlotte or Timbuktu.
Do we really have to sink to this level of pettiness? Outside of this sandbox, I don't personally know anyone in Atlanta that has a problem with Charlotte...or vice versa.
No 'pettiness' going here. I just simply gave my opinion (calling all cities in the south sprawl-topias) and a couple of Atlantans (surprise, surprise) are a little offended. Sorry. It is not my fault that I see little difference in the sprawl of a tier two city in the south from that of a tier one city in the south.

FWIW, I do enjoy my visits to Atlanta and I do feel that Atlanta is on another level than the likes of Charlotte and Nashville. That level is just not urbanity. That is my opinion and I can not help the way I feel. Maybe if I had never seen NYC, Boston, and Philly in person, than I might be fooled into thinking that tier one and tier two southern cities are light years apart. However, I have traveled to the Nation's largest most urban centers, and even the so called tier one southern metros of the south has a looooong way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 02:54 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,356,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I haven't found a link because many of the articles with details of the Nascar Hall are no longer searchable. The only thing I have found so far are PDF files of this information. If my memory is correct, Shirley Franklin got the news that Charlotte was going to be chosen for the hall (before Charlotte was actually chosen). She then made a counter offer of nearly an extra 80 million for the hall. Nascar officials actually postponed the announcement that Charlotte had won because of the late offer from Georgia. In the end, Nascar still chose Charlotte. Hence the reason why everyone in Georgia feels that they wanted Charlotte all along (Atlanta had offered more money at the last minute). That money came from Shirley Franklin's office (not the state of Georgia).

While I am looking for this link, why are you posting in the tier two southern city thread anyway? I live in Charlotte now, therefore I belong on this thread. When I lived in Atlanta, I would have had NO REASON to even look at such a thread like this. So why are you here John? Did Atlanta slip to tier two status since I've been gone?

Anyways, I think the top tier two cities of the South are New Orleans, Tampa, Orlando, Austin, Charlotte, Nashville, and Memphis. That's my list. One of these cities should be the winner of this thread. FYI, San Antonio could be added if we consider it to be the south.
You are totally delusional with this whole Shirley Franklin conspiracy thing. YOU WILL NOT - I REPEAT NOT find any such link BECAUSE IT NEVER HAPPENED.

And I will go into any damn thread I please, thank you.

Give it a rest. You either have a massive memory loss going on, or you just like to argue.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
So true. I had no idea people hated the place so much before I started posting on these boards. My wife and I moved here from a long stint in Atlanta to be closer to my family in South Florida and the beach, and chose Orlando based on what we saw as an attractive downtown, fun nightlife, nice lakes, shopping, decent original restaurants, and yes even some culture. I come on here and I am like...wow! People think it is just tourist hell with a heavy dose of murderers and rapists. It's too bad really...it is better than a lot of people think.
Pete, it's really unbelievable. The Orlando bashing around here has taken on a life of it's own. One poster recently made the claim that she went for the first time in 10 years, and that the entire area had become a hellhole.

I totally agree with your post.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:59 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
Quote:
No 'pettiness' going here. I just simply gave my opinion (calling all cities in the south sprawl-topias) and a couple of Atlantans (surprise, surprise) are a little offended. Sorry. It is not my fault that I see little difference in the sprawl of a tier two city in the south from that of a tier one city in the south.
If you mean little difference in the way of land use patterns, transportation, built environment, etc., then I would agree with you. In that sense, there's also going to be little difference between Greensboro's sprawl and Charlotte's. But using Charlotte and Atlanta as examples again, none of Charlotte's sprawl has anything approaching the business and economic clout of areas like Cumberland and Perimeter in Atlanta. And to bring DC into the picture, surely Charlotte has nothing that even closely resembles Tysons Corner in that regard either.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:59 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
First tier : Miami, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston

Second Tier : Charlotte, Tampa, Orlando, Austin, San Antonio
I agree with this list.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
No 'pettiness' going here. I just simply gave my opinion (calling all cities in the south sprawl-topias) and a couple of Atlantans (surprise, surprise) are a little offended.
Wow. What a simplistic way to deflect. You know very well that I am not offended by what you said about Atlanta's supposed inferior sprawl vs. Charlotte's more enlightened, superior sprawl. That is just plain stupid, and not the issue we are debating AT ALL. And you know it.

Your delusional claims about Shirley Franklin are what fired me up. That, and lying about the whole NASCAR HOF selection process.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Your delusional claims about Shirley Franklin are what fired me up. That, and lying about the whole NASCAR HOF selection process.
This link shows that my memory is not that bad. It was not $80 million like I said earlier. It was actually $77 million. I am still looking for the link to the story that shows this 'extra last minute money' was the actions of Shirley Franklin and that these actions were not proper.

Atlanta ups bid for NASCAR hall; deal not finalized, officials say - Charlotte Business Journal:

Old 06-16-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
This link shows that my memory is not that bad. It was not $80 million like I said earlier. It was actually $77 million. I am still looking for the link to the story that shows this 'extra last minute money' was the actions of Shirley Franklin and that these actions were not proper.

Atlanta ups bid for NASCAR hall; deal not finalized, officials say - Charlotte Business Journal:
Keep searching, oh faithful one. Search to your hearts content. Search all damn night.

Good luck.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:13 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Austin has more of a southern feel than southwestern. In general, the south is lush and the southwest is desert. Austin is lush.
Austin may not be southwest, but it's not really southern either. Austin isn't lush in the same sense as Atlanta or Charlotte. You're not gonna find tall pine trees and deciduous forest that are VERY common all over the south. You'll find none of those in Austin. Austin is more brushy and shrubbery that is common throughout the transitional zones between the south and the southwest. Topographically and fauna typically there nothing in Austin that really resembles the south. You might even find cactus in SOME parts. Although I agree it isn't the southwest, but between the limestone hills and the cedar trees and the shrubbery, all that gives Austin LESS of a southern feel.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Keep searching, oh faithful one. Search to your hearts content. Search all damn night.

Good luck.
I can't do that. I am about to catch the LYNX to uptown for a dinner date with the wife (she just got off work).

Till we meet again John. Its been fun!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City