Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has overall better climate?
New York City 64 26.02%
Los Angeles 170 69.11%
None of them 12 4.88%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 11:47 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,696,064 times

Advertisements

I never said that I can't stand LA weather in my last post. What I said was that you can't really say that LA has a true Fall season. I also said that having to use the AC in the month of November is a turn off. I don't know why but that's just the way I think. Also, the high of 74 and low of 58, those numbers are probably for the downtown section and the coastal areas. Why is it so hard for some to understand that there is no logic in having to turn on the AC during November? But that's true that its not always 90+ degrees in November. But when it happens its kind of strange IMO.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:07 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Los Angeles's Fall & Winter weather

New York City's Spring & Summer weather

I HATE Fall & Winter. I think LA might be a little too cool for me, 70's isn't beach weather to me. It's complicated though, I love thunderstorms & heat which NYC's climate has a lot of but LA has better year round weather. 4 Seasons are heavily overrated, if Fall lasted one month and Winter lasted a month and change (just enough for 1 or 2 storms) I'd probably be okay with 4 seasons.

Overall I pick LA's climate; Fall & Winter are NYC's climate's downfall imo.

It's actually not really a long shot for me (very surprising isn't it?), the Cfa climate also known as Humid Subtropical is my favorite climate, NYC is in the northern part of this climate, my preference is the southern part of this climate (Tampa, Orlando, Houston, etc.) though.
Exactly man.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:16 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,512,388 times
Los Angeles. New York is just too cold for too long. NYC can have its beautiful days, but the days of cold rain and snow made it miserable to be in a place that requires a lot of walking.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
Los Angeles. New York is just too cold for too long. NYC can have its beautiful days, but the days of cold rain and snow made it miserable to be in a place that requires a lot of walking.
I never even thought of it that way. From a walking standpoint. This is true.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:37 PM

787 posts, read 1,943,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I never even thought of it that way. From a walking standpoint. This is true.
Yes...the historic east coast cities like Philadelphia, Boston, and NYC developed initially around the horse and buggy. Walking was the only option beyond a good horse. Hence, the density of the urban cores in those wonderful cities. Yet, the weather in these same cites are NOT ideal walking weather (both summer and winter are dreadful for walking).

By contrast, Los Angeles developed (initially) around a streetcar system which allowed for a dispersed settlement pattern. This was accelerated as the automobile came into popularity in the 1920's.

Of course, LA has TERRRIFIC walking weather....yet the car still dominates for historic reasons. What a shame. Hopefully, as more rail gets built (and traffic inevitalby gets worse) more and more people will WALK in LA.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:43 PM

787 posts, read 1,943,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
1) I never said that I can't stand LA weather in my last post. What I said was that you can't really say that LA has a true Fall season. I also said that having to use the AC in the month of November is a turn off. I don't know why but that's just the way I think. Also, the high of 74 and low of 58, those numbers are probably for the downtown section and the coastal areas.

2) Why is it so hard for some to understand that there is no logic in having to turn on the AC during November? But that's true that its not always 90+ degrees in November. But when it happens its kind of strange IMO.
1) Ok..I hear you.

2)Try telling that to residents in Rio De Janeiro or Miami, Fla for that matter. Also, Australians celebrate Christmas on the beach. Is that somehow wrong? You do seem to have a northeasterner's view of how the world should work. As someone who has done a few winters on the east coast, it is a pleasure to run the AC in Novemeber. Granted I prefer it when the temps are in the 70's.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:30 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post
Yes...the historic east coast cities like Philadelphia, Boston, and NYC developed initially around the horse and buggy. Walking was the only option beyond a good horse. Hence, the density of the urban cores in those wonderful cities. Yet, the weather in these same cites are NOT ideal walking weather (both summer and winter are dreadful for walking).

By contrast, Los Angeles developed (initially) around a streetcar system which allowed for a dispersed settlement pattern. This was accelerated as the automobile came into popularity in the 1920's.

Of course, LA has TERRRIFIC walking weather....yet the car still dominates for historic reasons. What a shame. Hopefully, as more rail gets built (and traffic inevitalby gets worse) more and more people will WALK in LA.
I agree, that's one thing I've always thought. We have some of the worlds best weather to be outside walking in and should have more walkable developments instead of all the auto-oriented sprawl around SoCal. It's a real shame that developers and city planning departments themselves screwed up SoCal with all the auto-oriented development. I noticed in SD a lot of people drive with their windows down compared to other cities too. Also I never understood why LA had so many indoor malls given how comfortable the climate is. Even Santa Monica had one till they tore it down recently and are making it an open air mall.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:05 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,680,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Exactly man.
Yeah, I love summers here in MPLS, and fall is nothing to worry about (Sept, Oct, Nov) and when winter starts it's fun because it's 'xmas' time and it's cool to see the first snowfall............ then....... January 26th rolls around and it's time. So then, February (the coldest darn month) lasts forever... and then the cold leaves and then the snowiest month (march) rolls around, where one day it's 60 and the next 30. Then it's finally spring with April.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Yeah, I love summers here in MPLS, and fall is nothing to worry about (Sept, Oct, Nov) and when winter starts it's fun because it's 'xmas' time and it's cool to see the first snowfall............ then....... January 26th rolls around and it's time. So then, February (the coldest darn month) lasts forever... and then the cold leaves and then the snowiest month (march) rolls around, where one day it's 60 and the next 30. Then it's finally spring with April.
That cold must be radical. YIKES!! Snow in March? That happened once down here, and that was miserable.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:35 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,951,676 times
Although I LOVE LA's climate year round, I NEED some semblance of four seasons, something which we even have here in DFW, so I voted for NYC. But I have to admit that I LOVE LA's climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City