Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best culture, food, and quality of life?
Chicago 140 31.25%
New York 194 43.30%
San Francisco 114 25.45%
Voters: 448. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 08:21 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
LA's slightly better with San Diego/Tijuana and Las Vegas. If you go further out a bit, there's also Phoenix and the Bay Area itself (and the Bay Area gets LA, too, but little else).
to be fair you get tahoe and yosemite which are pretty awesome themselves and blow away anything east of the rockies, but as far as cities go yeah it is an isolated metro. nyc and chicago both get trashed by the sf bay area in the nature department imo if you are in to that kind of stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 09:08 PM

141 posts, read 196,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
to be fair you get tahoe and yosemite which are pretty awesome themselves and blow away anything east of the rockies, but as far as cities go yeah it is an isolated metro. nyc and chicago both get trashed by the sf bay area in the nature department imo if you are in to that kind of stuff.
I hate nature. Isolated and far away from civilization "real nature" at least. I've been camping in Yosemite and it was awful and uncomfortable. I enjoyed driving through Northern California as a once in a lifetime thing and never again way. I especially the redwoods but I only enjoy looking at it through the car window and never stopping for more than 2 minutes to snap a photo. The nature within San Francisco is good enough for me.

Do you (or anyone in the Bay Area who posts on City-Data) actually go to Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Muir Woods, etc.?

I know a few people in SF and the furthest they ever go to is Napa and that's rarely. Just like my Angelenos - they never ever go to the beaches or up the mountains to "ski and surf on the same day".

Golden Gate Park and Central Park and populated resort towns with civilized amentities is as much as I ever want.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:43 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDGJFK View Post

Do you (or anyone in the Bay Area who posts on City-Data) actually go to Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Muir Woods, etc.?

I know a few people in SF and the furthest they ever go to is Napa and that's rarely. Just like my Angelenos - they never ever go to the beaches or up the mountains to "ski and surf on the same day".
I grew up in the Bay Area and we went to Tahoe quite often during winter. Some of my friends go during summer as well. My friends back home still go very often and one of my close friends just bought a cabin there. A lot of Bay Area people go to Tahoe on weekends, especially in winter.

Yosemite is more like once every couple years for my family. It's not that close and can be crowded in summer. And nobody ski's and surfs in the same day, especially in Northern Ca where that is not really possible given the distances and time. It's just that you can if you want but I've never known anyone to do that.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:54 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Quote:
I hate nature. Isolated and far away from civilization "real nature" at least.

I.
uhhh yeah lol... actually going to Tahoe next weekend on my friends timeshare, they got a few feet of snow already. There is much more than that though...and much closer, lots of cool nature places .

Old 12-08-2009, 11:43 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Golden Gate Park and Central Park and populated resort towns with civilized amentities is as much as I ever want.
I totally understand.

Sometimes Cannes is as rugged as we need to be.

On the other hand, its so awesome to live in a place that's surrounded by so much natural beauty. I miss it when I'm away.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:45 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,784,084 times
Tahoe would not be so bad if you did not have to endure the Traffic. When it rains and the people flock, it can be a contiunous traffic jam from santa cruz all the way to sac and all the way to Tahoe. Everyone leaves at the same time too and it becomes another traffic jam all the way down the hill. Beautiful setting but I prefer the resorts further north towards reno and beyond.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:13 PM

254 posts, read 693,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Tahoe would not be so bad if you did not have to endure the Traffic. When it rains and the people flock, it can be a contiunous traffic jam from santa cruz all the way to sac and all the way to Tahoe. Everyone leaves at the same time too and it becomes another traffic jam all the way down the hill. Beautiful setting but I prefer the resorts further north towards reno and beyond.
I lived in the Bay Area for 21 years before I moved to Fresno. It seemed like every Thanksgiving, everyone would head to Tahoe or Reno. Well, we left Sunday at noon from Tahoe. What normally would be a 4 hour drive or so, took 14 hours because of the traffic returning to the Bay Area.

It was so bad, traffic was an absolute standstill at times and people would get out of their cars at times...

Old 12-09-2009, 03:20 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frsno1 View Post
I lived in the Bay Area for 21 years before I moved to Fresno. It seemed like every Thanksgiving, everyone would head to Tahoe or Reno. Well, we left Sunday at noon from Tahoe. What normally would be a 4 hour drive or so, took 14 hours because of the traffic returning to the Bay Area.

It was so bad, traffic was an absolute standstill at times and people would get out of their cars at times...
One thanksgiving eve it took me 6 hrs to drive from Oakland to Sacramento. Most were headed to Reno and Tahoe.

That's 6 hours to drive 90 miles.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:43 PM

254 posts, read 693,626 times
We went from Tahoe to San Mateo that day. Left Tahoe at noon and got home at 2 in the morning. It was a distance of about 240 miles.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:07 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,784,084 times
Funny thing is, me and my sister were doing this on thanksgiving too. It was by far the worst traffic I have ever seen in my life. I know Californians pride themselves on being origional and new wave and what not, but that day, they seemed like a bunch of sheep that really had no clever alternatives. I had an excuse, I was from out of state visiting with my sis who was a newly arrived transplant, so we didn't know any better, I don't know what everyone elses excuse was.

We were lucky there was not a rain/snow storm, that would have just shut the whole northern half of california down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City