Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city would you rather live in?
Philly 120 65.93%
Tampa 62 34.07%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:46 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times

Advertisements

If you want to live in real city with amenities and true nightlife and career opportunities then Philadelphia is your city. If you want to live in a trailer in the baking sun then Tampa is your city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 07:52 PM

17 posts, read 57,194 times
Personally, I prefer the urban life over fun in the sun. So, Philadelphia. Plus there are beaches just 50 miles off of Philly so its not like you'll never be able to go to the beach.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:23 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
I don't see these lists being wothless. I think they adequatly reflect how awful of a place philly is. Even you admitted you would live down here. I wouldn't live in Philly if someone paid me.
no, the lists are definitely worthless. I'd never move to Florida, visiting my aunt is enough. I bet you've never even been to Philly. I like Philly and certainly wouldn't trade it for Florida. If you wanted to pay for January and Feb in florida I'd be okay with that. That's a far cry from saying I'd live there full time. Summer, I imagine, is like living in someone's sweaty underpants. If I lived in Florida, I'd head north for the summer. AS it is, I like the seasons and Philly winters are fairly mild (of course that's relative). Tampa is much nicer than Jacksonville. I don't hate. I have family down there, I don't like it, I tell them they can keep their hurrican insurance. They don't like it up here. seems like us doesn't it?

WFC

Old 05-05-2009, 09:08 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,749,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Ok. Thats one strike for Tampa. Got anymore?

Old 05-05-2009, 09:13 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,749,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
If you want to live in real city with amenities and true nightlife and career opportunities then Philadelphia is your city. If you want to live in a trailer in the baking sun then Tampa is your city.
I certainly don't live in a trailer. In fact, I dont know anyone who lives in a trailer, or of any trailer parks around here. Atleast I did research about Phiily, instead of making up stuff like you. I respect NY1DAY's arguments, because, aleast his made sense. You make generalizations about somewhere you youve probably never been, or done any research on.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:04 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,645,125 times
Wow TB Fla, I've always wanted to know what Australians think about Philadelphia, thank you. Seriously, I have no dog in this fight (I pick Philly though) but that Aussie paper link sort of epitomizes desperation. Oh yeah, I do not hate Tampa at all (I hate your football team) and I think it has a bright future. I think Philly's a great city though (I'd live there over NY and LA easy).

Last edited by David Alleyne; 05-05-2009 at 11:12 PM..

Old 05-06-2009, 06:55 AM

389 posts, read 1,095,823 times
Quote:
Id say Tampa is doing well on this poll. Especially with all the bias. Im the only FL resident who has commented thus far.

Quote:
I certainly don't live in a trailer. In fact, I dont know anyone who lives in a trailer, or of any trailer parks around here. Atleast I did research about Phiily, instead of making up stuff like you. I respect NY1DAY's arguments, because, aleast his made sense. You make generalizations about somewhere you youve probably never been, or done any research on.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:12 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,177 times
Quote:
Alright, alright, I will calm down. I love to debate if you didnt notice. But this poll isnt over yet. Lets see how it pans out.
Dude, don't take a stupid poll on city-data.com seriously. Many people on this forum are city dwelling individuals from the N.E. so you will get them automatically voting for Philly. I never been to Tampa, so I don't really know what it is like. I heard descriptions that it has the typical Flordian Sprawl.

However, some of the comments you make about Philly are downright ignorant. I lived in Philly for a short 8 months, before getting offered another job in Denver that I took. I loved living there, and it is a very desirable place to live, even though "You wouldn't live there if somebody paid you". The Southern Jersey shore is very close, and very nice with places like Cape May. Then Pennsylvania Dutch Country is to the west, and is also very nice. It has great food, amazing history, awesome urban neighborhoods, and one of the best downtowns in the nation. I love Pennsylvania's four seasons also. Nothing beats Spring through Fall here. Yeah we got winter, but every place has one un-desirable season. When I went to Flordia to visit family in July, I would never go outside till 6 PM or I would melt.

Everybody stop on the stupid ignorant comments on BOTH cities.

Jesus, you are comparing Philly to Tampa. The two most opposite cities I can think of.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:24 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,177 times
Quote:
Considering Philly is so much older than Tampa, of course there are more people. That means nothing. When is the last time Philly saw a growth spert like Tampa has.
OK, I read the first few pages. I always read from backwards to forward for some reason. I agree with somebody else that I hope you are still under 18.

Those polls you posted are stupid. Those things are biast, dumb, and hold no opinion of the average city resident.

When It comes to growth spurts. You have to remember that Philly was one of the first cities in America, and the first Capitol of this country. Philly saw it's growth spurt in the 1700s and 1800s. Tampa is just 200 years behind. Philly has had problems through history that Tampa never really did. Race riots, white flight, the horrible acts in the 50s with their "urban design", and much more.

Tampa may have been booming, but it is one of the hardest hit with the housing bust. Having a booming population is not always a good thing. Different cities have their booms at different times and centuries.

The ones in the N.E. have already boomed, grown, aged, and are now mature. Many towns will grow slowly, but have history behind them. Good for you just going through your puberty growth spurt. I wonder what towns like Phoenix, Tampa, and others will be like lets say 200 years from now.

Last edited by Awesomo.2000; 05-06-2009 at 07:34 AM..

Old 05-06-2009, 07:58 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
The population numbers dont reflect those stats. If Philly was so bad then..........

Why do 6,385,461 people live in the metro area and only 2,723,949 live in Tampa?

Obviously, Americans as a whole like Philly more because their population is more than double.

Also, have you seen the results of the poll so far?
Southeastern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is not true information, Tampa bay has 4,076,099 in their metropolitan area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City