Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the second most important in the nation?
LA 211 35.34%
Chicago 171 28.64%
DC 81 13.57%
SF 39 6.53%
Boston 62 10.39%
Houston 33 5.53%
Voters: 597. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 09:34 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Houston's economy is hardly diverse. Its definitely ruled by one industry. Chicago's bragging rights as evidenced by this thread revolves totally around financial markets so to say LA is not diverse is really laughable. Charlotte and SF are the nation's 2nd and 3rd largest banking Center. LA is the nations largest Manufacturing Center and so on. Particular regions play very important roles.

And how would Chicago fill NYCs role as US Media Capital(Media is a big deal btw) more than LA?
Unfortunately, I am not the same person as every other poster who said Chicago. It's odd because I can agree on something, but cite different reasons and different arguments. It's pretty wild. That or most of the accounts on here are my aliases and I'm just toying with the rest of you. You never know!

Anyhow, banking isn't the only big thing in financial services, and I have stated before that Chicago's strength is in having a finger in almost every pie (and sometimes its entire fist, up past the wrist and nearing the elbow).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 09:39 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I doubt Chicago would fill NYC's role as the US media capital. LA would most likely take over in film and television industry, while journalism and publishing will likely go elsewhere (D.C., Chicago, and the bay area possibly?).
LA by far has the concentration local expertise, infrastructure and global name to take over that entire industry.

What would happen in media is LA would ascend to first in and DC would probably ascend to 2nd-sort of to what LAs auxiliary role to NY is now.

Only now, the centers of power in media shift from one coast to the other. Interesting if you think about it.

Quote:
However, I feel people inflate the mass media's role as a whole--it's not that media isn't important, only that media still mostly serves as a reflection and reinforcement for what occurs in the unmediated world.
The same could be said of the financial markets.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
It's odd because I can agree on something, but cite different reasons and different arguments.
We all do that.

Quote:
Anyhow, banking isn't the only big thing in financial services, and I have stated before that Chicago's strength is in having a finger in almost every pie (and sometimes its entire fist, up past the wrist and nearing the elbow).
Chicago is not the only place outside of NYC with a finger in every pie. As far as manufacturing, high tech, transportation, etc, Los Angeles is a huge player as well.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:52 AM

Yes, Los Angeles is a huge player. It seems that overall though, Chicago is more diversified (supposedly the most diversified economy in the US). I find it unlikely that journalism for the most part would head over to LA since DC is currently a bigger player, while Chicago and SF seem as big if not bigger than LA. Publishing is certainly one area where Los Angeles has several peers and betters.

I understand LA is diverse, but Chicago is more diverse and can serve as a stronger anchor for most industries.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Yes, Los Angeles is a huge player. It seems that overall though, Chicago is more diversified (supposedly the most diversified economy in the US). I find it unlikely that journalism for the most part would head over to LA since DC is currently a bigger player, while Chicago and SF seem as big if not bigger than LA. Publishing is certainly one area where Los Angeles has several peers and betters.
Obviously no one has a crystal ball, but I don't think any city after NYC has the infrastructure to ingest NYCs media the way LA can and probably will.

Its one of the perks of being the biggest-everyone wants to know what's going on there, and after NYC, LA is by far the biggest and most influential media market.

Quote:
I understand LA is diverse, but Chicago is more diverse and can serve as a stronger anchor for most industries.
Which industries would that be?

Old 06-16-2009, 10:09 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,743,333 times
No. it's not economics alone. Looks like you have a chip on your shoulder.

Quote:
Economics is one factor, not the only factor. It isnt even really more important than the other things that must be considered.

And like clockwork, your irrational denial about what 'Beta' means is really pathetic.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:11 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,743,333 times
Agreed. Tier 1 (Beta)

Quote:
I totally agree.

LA is most definitely 1b.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Looks like you have a chip on your shoulder.
says the VP of Sales for Mastercard.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Agreed. Tier 1 (Beta)
*coughs*denial*coughs*

Old 06-16-2009, 10:27 AM

I don't disagree with LA taking the lion's share of the media market, but there are certainly parts of it (publishing and journalism, as I've said before) is much stronger elsewhere. Additionally, both of these industries have different needs and requirements from that of entertainment mass media. I don't feel Los Angeles has the clout or currency in these industries that Chicago (and other cities have).

I knew LA was a large manufacturing center, but I had no idea that it was the nation's largest. That's pretty surprising.

Chicago's strength in finance is well-covered, and partially tied to that are the large number of professional services firms, but also a strong manufacturing center, a strong publishing industry, a large legal professions presence, a transportation hub and industry player, a telecommunications player, food services and processing center, etc. Basically, it's really diverse which doesn't mean that Los Angeles isn't more than a one-trick pony (as is the popular misconception), but that Chicago is simply more so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City