Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ATL vs Philly
Atlanta 145 38.36%
Philadelphia 233 61.64%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 08:04 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times

Advertisements

Still not sure what I was incorrect about though. What's Atlanta's traffic congestion rank -- #1, #2 or #3? What's its population rank -- #7, #8 or #9?

Old 07-18-2010, 08:13 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Again, very expensive considering Atlanta's lower density. What are they building under -- single family houses and parking lots? If it's under an airport, river, CBD or the like I understand that, but I don't understand any reason to dig under ATL neighborhoods -- if that's the case. I've obviously never seen the ATL subway, so I'm trying to envision it.

You never been to Philly in an old row-house and felt the subway undereath you occasionally?Parking lots?Lets not be obtuse now.
Lindbergh Marta Station:

I found this blog to be a far depiction of that area and what is going on in Atlanta.Lindbergh: I could live here | Atlanta Unsheltered (http://atlantaunsheltered.com/2009/07/08/lindbergh-i-could-live-here/ - broken link)

MARTA SUBWAY in the middle of GA400 Toll Road entering Buckhead above ground:
http://amhamogus.com/files/gatech/buckhead/images/matra.to.fin.district.jpg (broken link)

Downtown Decatur MARTA STATION:

Chamblee MARTA STATION;ik
http://www.pscexpo.com/2006/images/MartaStation.png (broken link)

Last edited by afonega1; 07-18-2010 at 08:37 AM..

Old 07-18-2010, 08:14 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times

Old 07-18-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
Gwinnett sucks and thats 25% of their population. I'd rather live in Camden.
Yeh you would.Camden feels more like Baltimore I suppose

Old 07-18-2010, 08:27 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
afonega1:

It was already explained to me why Atlanta built a subway system instead of at-grade: the topography is sometimes too steep for at-grade rail to work efficiently. That makes sense to me. Minneapolis for instance has decided to bypass its most commuter-friendly neighborhood (Uptown) and opt for the more wide-open rail-ready route alternative, largely because the cost of going through uptown was prohibitive to the successful implementation of the plan for government approval -- which may have included tunneling underground because you could not easily build at-grade.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
I would think ATL would want to be more like Philly? I never had anyone reach down in their waistband on me in Philly.
Actually I love Philly,but not more than Atlanta.There are elements of urbanity that I wish Atlanta had,but just a little.Atlanta is unique that you can live on the 28th floor of a gleaming condo tower,a Philadelphia style Row house,a single family dwelling with a back yard.Apparently judging from migration patterns people are choosing Atlanta over Philly daily so perhaps it is what people want.Truth of the matter is people make decisions based on what they are comfortable with.Let Atlanta be Atlanta and Philly be Philly.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:28 AM

648 posts, read 1,617,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Well see that's what a number of people have been trying to say for a while now. There are lots of buildings along those blocks. You just can't see them in skyline pics because trees block the view. And honestly I can only think of one area in the city where the houses have lots of land as you say and that's in buckhead in the west paces ferry area. They have lots of land because those houses cost millions. Inman Park area would be a distant 2nd.
Are you kidding? 75% of that city has houses with more land than I do. And I live in the suburbs.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:29 AM

657 posts, read 1,504,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
BINGO!

He simply can't wrap his around around anything he isn't familiar with.
Um, I'm familiar with Atlanta, and I believe that Ivanov's arguments are spot on.

There is no city planning whatsoever, no roadmap for the future other than a bike path called the Beltline and constant infighting between the city of Atlanta and the state of Georgia. Developers kept putting up hi-rises thinking they were creating the "New York of the South" (their term not mine) without any understanding of how real cities function and evolve based on culture not "castles in the sky".

Philly is a real city with dense urban neighborhoods both good and bad. It's definitely not perfect, but it is very REAL. The hi-rises are in areas of the city where real estate is expensive and so developers had no choice but to build UP.

Atlanta's hi-rises are completely unnecessary. They're all for show with no substance. They're certainly not for lack of space. How else would you explain the countless open parking lots, empty parking garages and rundown strip malls in between all those "glamorous" buildings? Atlanta's skyline may look pretty to all the country folk driving by on the highway but then when you get into the city, you're like "this is it?" Where are all the people?

Well guess what. The show is over. The American economy will never go back to the dangerous real estate speculative market of the past few years. Atlanta better come up with a new game plan because you won't see any of its "proposed" skyscrapers coming to fruition in the near future. I can guarantee it. High unemployment, high crime and high vacancies all translate to no new offices, no new condos, and no new hotels.

The sun is setting on the sunbelt.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:31 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
Are you kidding? 75% of that city has houses with more land than I do. And I live in the suburbs.
Judging based off your location, I hope you don't take it offensively but I think you are paying a good deal and not getting all that you can have with it.

Again, I did not mean that in any offense though.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:32 AM

657 posts, read 1,504,423 times
Oooh, parking garages. How sexy.

Why on earth would people need to DRIVE to the station and have to park their cars in all these garages if they live in the city??? Isn't part of the reason of living in a city so you can give up the car and WALK to the subway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You never been to Philly in an old row-house and felt the subway undereath you occasionally?Parking lots?Lets not be obtuse now.
Lindbergh Marta Station:

I found this blog to be a far depiction of that area and what is going on in Atlanta.Lindbergh: I could live here | Atlanta Unsheltered (http://atlantaunsheltered.com/2009/07/08/lindbergh-i-could-live-here/ - broken link)

MARTA SUBWAY in the middle of GA400 Toll Road entering Buckhead above ground:

Downtown Decatur MARTA STATION:

Chamblee MARTA STATION;ik
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City