Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which unique housing style do you like best?
Chicago Greystone 8 9.09%
Chicago Bungalow 7 7.95%
New York Brownstone 22 25.00%
Philadelphia Row 16 18.18%
San Francisco Painted Lady 14 15.91%
New Orleans Shotgun House 6 6.82%
Other (name) 15 17.05%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 11:04 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,968,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The homes in Stapleton look just like the new houses that were built all over metro Denver in the same time period. They just have smaller yards.
Those homes are different from what I saw out near Southlands and what I saw in Washington Park. Although they were the same style as Bradburn and Reunion and by McKay Lake. Denver's taking a good style and running with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
That isn't exclusive to Florida. You can find houses like that in southern NV, CA, AZ, NM, TX.
Yeah, but Florida is the leader of that pack. Florida has been doing mediterranean longer. And that style is generally more closely identified with south Florida than with those other areas. But kudos to anybody who takes a great style and brings it to their city.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:08 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Those homes are different from what I saw out near Southlands and what I saw in Washington Park. Although they were the same style as Bradburn and Reunion and by McKay Lake. Denver's taking a good style and running with it.
Well, Wash Park is older by about a century or so. They are the same as the homes in Erie Village, and virtually any other townhome/patio home/single family home subdivision (except for the McMansions) built in the past few years. Wash Park, ironically, is full of bungalows. They were popular in all the growing midwest and western cities a century ago.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
They are the same as the homes in Erie Village, and virtually any other townhome/patio home/single family home subdivision (except for the McMansions) built in the past few years.
And that's one great thing about Denver- you can get that awesome style in various neighborhoods around the city, so you really have options of where you want to live without sacrificing an aesthetically nice home. The front facades with the porches and columns are great to look at, and having the garages in the rear only makes the overall street view that much nicer. And most of these newer developments are building neighborhood parks within them.

Interestingly enough, I also saw some mediterranean style homes in Stapleton. I thought, WOW!

Old 05-27-2009, 11:19 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
And that's one great thing about Denver- you can get that awesome style in various neighborhoods around the city, so you really have options of where you want to live without sacrificing an aesthetically nice home. The front facades with the porches and columns are great to look at, and having the garages in the rear only makes the overall street view that much nicer. And most of these newer developments are building neighborhood parks within them.

Interestingly enough, I also saw some mediterranean style homes in Stapleton. I thought, WOW!
I don't want to get into a major battle with you here, but most every community in the metro Denver area, certainly the one I live in (Louisville) requires developers to devote a certain amount of land to parks. I believe it is 15%. This is hardly unique to Stapleton (though they may market it like it is). In this town, a very small subdivision may donate cash in lieu of open land, but that is the only exception.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:38 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
It's a shame that Boston's Back Bay Rowhomes weren't represented. I find that Paris' housing stock is far and away the most beautiful in the world, followed by London and Amsterdam. However, I think the Back Bay's Rowhomes are as beautiful as they come in this country. So here we go, the most beautiful housing stock in America:

The pics from this particular flickr album can't be copied for some reason, but check them out because they're gorgeous:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dellahuff/3274080003/in/set-72157602697938684/ (broken link)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dellahuff/1748688036/in/set-72157602697938684/ (broken link)

Technically this is Beacon Hill, but close enough:

I'd say that's enough for now. Boston's rowhomes are truly magnificent. It's nothing short of a crime they weren't included on this poll!

Last edited by tmac9wr; 05-27-2009 at 12:13 PM..

Old 05-27-2009, 11:49 AM

633 posts, read 1,442,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiavoli View Post
LOL. Before you open your mouth about Chicago's trendsetting and gorgeous bungalows check out what Boston, Philly, Baltimore and NY has to offer in the department of housing stock.
That's why I made the list, Smarty. I voted for my favorites; you can vote for yours. Then we discuss. If you like Boston's better, then talk about that without ripping on Chicago. It's not like, if Chicago is good, then your town must be bad.

Get over yourself.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:50 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,585,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
I like Portland's craftsman style houses that come in foursquare, bungalow, and Victorian flavors. Half the city's housing stock looks like the following, but in various states of upkeep or disrepair. There are LITERALLY hundreds of blocks of these beauties all over the city.

nice

Old 05-27-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Personally, I think DC and Boston have much better residential architectucre than Chicago.
Im not sure that the Chicago Bungalow is really that iconic, they are usually pretty cookie cutter with little deatail. Chicago also has a lot of 19th century frame houses that are pretty uninspiring. The best housing stock in Chicago is the rowhouses in East Lincoln Park and the 19th century mansions in the near north/south sides.
Right, and their lack of exquisite detail is part of what made them iconic. The homes in the Bungalow Belt were built efficiently, and for working-class families. However, they were inspired by the architecture on display at the 1893 Exposition. They are efficient AND historical.

As far as trend-setting, they brought the Bungalow to America, and the Chicago Bungalow remains a well-known, individual style.

All that being said, I did not vote for them, because I prefer the greystone town homes. In fact, I am not even a big fan of bungalows. However, I knew that if I didn't include them, I would get some flak for it, since they are so important.

Remember, beauty does not equal importance, and vice versa. The International and Modern style of building is by no means ornate or classically beautiful (IMO), but they are very important to the development of their architectural descendants. The same is true of the Chicago Bungalow, like it or not.

I hope that clears up a few things for the people who actually care, and aren't using this discussion as an opportunity for insulting Chicago, etc.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiavoli View Post
I would go with the mansions. The bungalows were not built for the looks and it shows...
Wow, you found something you like about Chicago. Good for you!

In trying to insult one aspect of Chicago, you admitted that you like another. This is a big step for you, Dementor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City