Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2009, 04:27 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,607,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
^ He keeps mentioning his dislike for "feeling like a sardine", which I guess would disqualify San Francisco.....it's a somewhat odd preference for a downtown, considering thats what makes a downtown feel lively and active.
Exactly. Lots of things being crowded together within walking distance is what makes a downtown what it is, just like lots of things being spread far apart is what makes the rural countryside what it is. Crowdedness, tons of people, etc. are a part of a downtown’s very nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 04:39 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
O
No one considers Lombard street or the Palace of Fine Arts as being in downtown SF. Hyde street partially is, where it cuts through Nob Hill and the Tenderloin. "Downtown" San Francisco can be defined as:

-the Financial District
-parts of SOMA
-parts of North Beach
-Chinatown
-Union Square
-The Tenderloin
-Civic Center
-Nob Hill
-probably Hayes Valley and Mission Bay too

Downtown San Francisco

Old 05-28-2009, 06:25 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,498,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The strip is not Downtown Las Vegas.

Downtown Las Vegas is a very lonely place imo. DT LV is north of the strip and is very dull, quiet and boring.

That looks so depressing.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:24 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,815,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Not a criticism, but I'm curious as to how Portland ME made the list?

The reason I ask is because I spent the last 4 years living in Portland. It's a very nice little area, but to me the downtown area reminded me more of a mid-sized town rather than the center of an urban area. It's relatively walkable (mostly because of the small size), but I left it off my list because I don't think it has the elements that compete with the larger cities even though it is a nice little area. Just asking!
that's how I felt about charlotte too. like I said, outside the top ten it's much less accurate. I liked Portland's downtown more than I liked Charlotte's. read that as you may.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:11 PM

53 posts, read 175,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The strip is not Downtown Las Vegas.

Downtown Las Vegas is a very lonely place imo. DT LV is north of the strip and is very dull, quiet and boring.

Who said "the strip" is downtown Las Vegas? Downtown Las Vegas is a tourist area too though. It is almost 100% based on gambling.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:56 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,607,567 times
^^^Great photos Montclair!

San Francisco is one of those places that feels much bigger than it actually is, at least in the Union Square/Downtown area.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:22 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,968,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st. louie louie View Post
Manta Ray,

It seems you would better enjoy a suburban office park than a downtown.
Wrong. I actually THOROUGHLY enjoyed Denver's downtown and prefer it over any other US city's or any suburban office park. Hence the #1 ranking. DC's and San Antonio's I really enjoyed as well and prefer to any suburban office park. Hence the #2 and #3 ranking. Furthermore, suburban office parks typically don't have riverwalks or pedestrian bridges or pedestrian malls, all things I clearly indicated are on my CRITICAL list for enhanced enjoyment. I think if you actually go back through my critieria, the evidence will show the contrary of what you claim here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by st. louie louie View Post
Downtowns need to have stores, offices, culture, things to do. And to make it walkable to those places, they need to be fairly close to each other. And when they have those things, people will come and hopefully it will get a little crowded.
Denver's downtown has stores, offices, culture, things to do. It has the 2nd largest performing arts complex in the nation. It has Coors Field, the 16th street mall, and several other very nice amenities. And since it has those things, people DO come and it can get a LITTLE crowded. But nowhere NEAR sardinesville. Plenty of elbow room. People were biking (walking too) and not almost running into folks in front of them or feeling like they were going to get hit by a car. And to me that just makes it even MORE enjoyable. I like downtowns. I just like those like Denver's or San Antonio's or DC's a lot more than I like NYC's or Boston's or Philadelphia's.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
No one considers Lombard street or the Palace of Fine Arts as being in downtown SF. Hyde street partially is, where it cuts through Nob Hill and the Tenderloin. "Downtown" San Francisco can be defined as:

-the Financial District
-parts of SOMA
-parts of North Beach
-Chinatown
-Union Square
-The Tenderloin
-Civic Center
-Nob Hill
-probably Hayes Valley and Mission Bay too

And what exactly is wrong with SF's downtown that keeps it off your list? Just curious.
If you look back at my list, SF IS on it. What keeps it from being higher is primarily that it's waterfront is basically concrete and piers, not really much for greenery like the Marina area or Golden Gate area. And it's hills and scenic views from those hills are not in downtown. If we were talking cities OVERALL and not just downtown, SF would be my #1 favorite city overall in the US. But the criteria isn't overall city, it's downtown. And the awesome monument and lagoon at the Palace of Fine Art is like nowhere else in the US. If the SF hills like on Hyde and the monument and lagoon at the Palace of Fine Art were IN downtown, I'd have SF ranked #1 or close to it (I'd have to re-evaluate the lack of a green waterfront). But SF DID make my list. Certainly if Boston is at the bottom of my list but made it, SF HAS to be somewhere on it.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
^ He keeps mentioning his dislike for "feeling like a sardine", which I guess would disqualify San Francisco.....
Every time I've been to SF, I've never felt like a sardine, and I've been there in the middle of the day. Granted I never tried the Bay Bridge at rush hour, but whether walking or trolleying or driving in the middle of the day in downtown SF, I had elbow room, and plenty of it. The same can't really be said of Sardinesville on the Hudson.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:29 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,048,909 times
SF
NOLA
Miami
Seattle
Boston
NYC
Philly
Chicago
Baltimore
DC
Atlanta
San Antonio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City