Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2012, 12:47 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,438,886 times

Advertisements

Yes it exist in a sense; as long as your talking about adjacent counties our metropolitans and CSA continuously touch. But we're not continuously developed, so by definition yes but in my opinion no. I think DC-NYC could be real the metropolitan's do touch without using a CSA, but Boston is a little too far up to be included because it's metropolitan doesn't touch a true NYC metro county.

D.C. Metro
D.C.
Montgomery County, MD
Both Baltimore & D.C. Metro
Howard County, MD
Baltimore Metro, MD
Baltimore County, MD
Baltimore City, MD (it doesn't have to be included since its surrounded by Baltimore County for the most part)
Harford County, MD
Philly Metro
Cecil County, MD
New Castle, DE
Delaware County, PA
Philadelphia County, PA
Burlington County, NJ
NYC Metro
Monmouth County, New Jersey
Richmond County, NY (Staten Island NYC)
New York County, NY (Manhattan)
Bronx County, NY (Bronx)
Westchester County, NY
NYC CSA (this is the only part that's really debatable because now your talking about CSA's
Faifield County, CT
New Haven County, CT
Litchfield County, CT
Springfield Metro
Hampden County, MA
Boston Metro
Worcester County, MA
Middlesex County, MA
Suffolk County, MA (Boston)

Last edited by BMORE; 02-25-2012 at 12:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 01:21 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,518,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Yes it exist in a sense; as long as your talking about adjacent counties our metropolitans and CSA continuously touch. But we're not continuously developed, so by definition yes but in my opinion no. I think DC-NYC could be real the metropolitan's do touch without using a CSA, but Boston is a little too far up to be included because it's metropolitan doesn't touch a true NYC metro county.

D.C. Metro
D.C.
Montgomery County, MD
Howard County, MD
Baltimore Metro, MD
Baltimore County, MD
Baltimore City, MD (it doesn't have to be included since its surrounded by Baltimore County for the most part)
Harford County, MD
Philly Metro
Cecil County, MD
New Castle, DE
Delaware County, PA
Philadelphia County, PA
Burlington County, NJ
NYC Metro
Bronx County, NY (Bronx)
Westchester County, NY
NYC CSA (this is the only part that's really debatable because now your talking about CSA's
Faifield County, CT
New Haven County, CT
Litchfield County, CT
Springfield Metro
Hampden County, MA
Boston Metro
Worcester County, MA
Middlesex County, MA
Why did you include Litchfield? It's empty. The Hartford Area has 10 times the population and directly connects to New Haven and Springfield. The New Haven area goes to Bridgeport which goes to New York and so on. The sparser gaps in New England are between Springfield and Worcester and Central CT and Providence. I'm not sure why you have it so only the major principal cities have to touch. There's still people and smaller metros in between that are adjacent to each other.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:45 AM

Ah, I meant to take off New Haven County, that's the only reason why I used Litchfield so I can shorten the amount of Counties needed up. From Litchfield is only one county north of Fairfield, so it was just a accident. But I should have included Hartford County instead

Old 02-25-2012, 09:22 AM

139 posts, read 207,665 times
Great post, but shouldn't the Northern Virginia counties be included in this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post

D.C. Metro
D.C.
Montgomery County, MD
Howard County, MD
Baltimore Metro, MD
Baltimore County, MD
Harford County, MD
Philly Metro
Cecil County, MD
New Castle, DE
Delaware County, PA
Philadelphia County, PA
Burlington County, NJ
NYC Metro
Bronx County, NY (Bronx)
Westchester County, NY
Faifield County, CT
New Haven County, CT
Litchfield County, CT
Springfield Metro
Hampden County, MA
Boston Metro
Worcester County, MA
Middlesex County, MA

Old 02-25-2012, 09:56 AM

I guess we could start at Spotsylvania County, VA; but I was only attempting to show that the metropolitans touch that's why I didn't say VA although it's a key area of the Bos-Wash.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:42 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
I think you havr to include Nova and PG county into the corridor honestly.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:26 PM

958 posts, read 1,197,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by japster28 View Post
Not trying to support LANightmare but there is a SoCal megalopolis, no where as big and influential as the Great Lakes and BosWash megalopises. But it exists...
No, there isn't, and there isn't a Great Lakes Megalopolis either.

The Megalopolis doesn't have to be fully connected (as in doesn't have to be continuous development" but it all has to act together and parts of it have to influence other parts in some way. The Northeast Megalopolis exists because it is what were at the time the most important cities in the country and the various municipalities that sprung up around them or in between them. The metros do in fact touch but that doesn't mean that every part of it is extremely developed. However, every part of it had municipalities that existed well before any sprawl did. Every part of the Megalopolis came about independently, separate from every other part. That's what makes it a Megalopolis because it just grew (and continues to grow) into itself.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:47 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
No, there isn't, and there isn't a Great Lakes Megalopolis either.

The Megalopolis doesn't have to be fully connected (as in doesn't have to be continuous development" but it all has to act together and parts of it have to influence other parts in some way. The Northeast Megalopolis exists because it is what were at the time the most important cities in the country and the various municipalities that sprung up around them or in between them. The metros do in fact touch but that doesn't mean that every part of it is extremely developed. However, every part of it had municipalities that existed well before any sprawl did. Every part of the Megalopolis came about independently, separate from every other part. That's what makes it a Megalopolis because it just grew (and continues to grow) into itself.
If you're talking about continued dense development that's socially and economically strongly related to each other, then the Great Lakes megalopolis doesn't fit the criteria. Socal, though, would fit as it's really just the greater Los Angeles area including the Inland Empire plus the San Diego metropolitan area. Camp Pendleton creates a fairly brief interruption along the coast, but the LA and San Diego's suburbs still connect through the Inland Empire.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:26 AM

1,478 posts, read 2,412,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
If you're talking about continued dense development that's socially and economically strongly related to each other, then the Great Lakes megalopolis doesn't fit the criteria. Socal, though, would fit as it's really just the greater Los Angeles area including the Inland Empire plus the San Diego metropolitan area. Camp Pendleton creates a fairly brief interruption along the coast, but the LA and San Diego's suburbs still connect through the Inland Empire.
The entire term and what qualfies and does not is subjective at best. Using a strict definition, there isn't much economically that binds DC to Boston for example. The GL megaregion defined here is pretty loose: Great Lakes Megalopolis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you were looking at economic ties, it could be tightened up to include specifically the ring around Lake Erie + Pittsburgh + Toronto+Buffalo to create an inextricably linked region. It all comes down to steel, autos, cross-border trade, and a financial center that was created out of necessity to regulate and monitor the manufacturing activities conducted in lower Ontario.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:37 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,093,968 times
Yes it exists, and to be honest, I see more similarities between Washington and Boston than I do Washington and Richmond. I think grouping the two together is not exactly that outrageous. The Bos-Wash corridor's states I think start with Maryland and end with Massachusetts.

Chi-Pitts, on the other hand to me does not make sense to call a megalopolis, because it includes large swaths of rural areas well in excess of the spreads of the metros, and the population isn't one continuous stream like it is with the N/E megalopolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City