Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most "Green" Major Metropolitan Area
New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island 4 6.56%
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana 0 0%
Chicago-Naperville-Joliet 9 14.75%
Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington 2 3.28%
Philadelphia-Camdem-Wilmington 1 1.64%
Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown 2 3.28%
Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach 1 1.64%
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta 10 16.39%
Washington-Alexandria-Arlington 1 1.64%
Boston-Cambridge-Quincy 4 6.56%
Detroit-Warren-Livonia 0 0%
Phoenix-Scottsdale-Mesa 0 0%
San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont 13 21.31%
Riverside-San Bernadino-Ontario 0 0%
Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue 14 22.95%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 01:08 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,925,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
From the list the O.P. offered at the start of the thread.

If this is for City Limits only, I am even more impressed with the ranking of #8. It shows our initiatives are paying off.
The link does not say atlanta is the 8th greenest city. It simply says it is the 8th largest metro area...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 01:13 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
This link sums things up pretty nicely: http://www.atlantaga.gov/client_resources/greener%20atlanta/atlanta%20green%20city%20initiatives%20-06.04.07.pdf (broken link)

Old 06-02-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
This link sums things up pretty nicely: http://www.atlantaga.gov/client_resources/greener%20atlanta/atlanta%20green%20city%20initiatives%20-06.04.07.pdf (broken link)
John, again that is great and all.

This doesnt change my opinion that Atlanta is far from being considered 'green.'

Step 1 will be for it to become far less car centric. This wont happen until Sonny offers MARTA some funding.
Step 2 will be for people to not feel the need to commute 40 miles everyday to work.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
John, again that is great and all.

This doesnt change my opinion that Atlanta is far from being considered 'green.'

Step 1 will be for it to become far less car centric. This wont happen until Sonny offers MARTA some funding.
Step 2 will be for people to not feel the need to commute 40 miles everyday to work.
My whole point was to respond to you "chuckling" when you noted 3 people voted for Atlanta.

Sonny will NEVER offer MARTA more funding. Thank God we send him packing next year. We actually have a chance at a REAL Governor next time, people are that pissed at this administration.

Housing costs inside the Perimeter are dramatically higher than outside, hence the long commutes. Schools also come into play. Hardly a situation that Atlanta "owns" in the U.S.

I guess being the #1 city with LEED certified buildings just doesn't register, eh? I imagine if Atlanta were located in another region, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion - correct?

Old 06-02-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:

I guess being the #1 city with LEED certified buildings just doesn't register, eh? I imagine if Atlanta were located in another region, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion - correct?
What region do you think would make a difference. I lived in Atlanta, just as I have lived in other regions of the country and the world (although my primary base has been the midwest.) For someone to honestly believe that Atlanta is the Greenest City in America should make anybody laugh.

Since you were so excited thinking that Atlanta was ranked number 8th after misreading the OP's link. I will give you an actual ranking:

America's 50 Greenest Cities | Popular Science

Can you tell me where Atlanta is?

Old 06-02-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
What region do you think would make a difference. I lived in Atlanta, just as I have lived in other regions of the country and the world (although my primary base has been the midwest.) For someone to honestly believe that Atlanta is the Greenest City in America should make anybody laugh.

Since you were so excited thinking that Atlanta was ranked number 8th after misreading the OP's link. I will give you an actual ranking:

America's 50 Greenest Cities | Popular Science

Can you tell me where Atlanta is?
Please show me where I said Atlanta is the Greenest City in the U.S.? I have NEVER stated that.

Nice link, but it is obviously flawed with the listings. Being the #1 City in the U.S. for LEED certified buildings counts for nothing, it would seem.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Please show me where I said Atlanta is the Greenest City in the U.S.? I have NEVER stated that.

Nice link, but it is obviously flawed with the listings. Being the #1 City in the U.S. for LEED certified buildings counts for nothing, it would seem.
Ok John, lets try this one more time.

I said I found it amusing that anyone would consider Atlanta to be the greenest city in the country. To which you got a bit defensive. You bring up L.E.E.D certified buildings. Thats great, but that is such a small aspect of what it means to be a 'green city.'

I stand by my statement, I find it amusing that anyone believes atlanta is the greenest city in the nation. Apparantly you agree with me that its not, but feel the need to stand up for your hometown. Good for you.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Ok John, lets try this one more time.

I said I found it amusing that anyone would consider Atlanta to be the greenest city in the country. To which you got a bit defensive. You bring up L.E.E.D certified buildings. Thats great, but that is such a small aspect of what it means to be a 'green city.'

I stand by my statement, I find it amusing that anyone believes atlanta is the greenest city in the nation. Apparantly you agree with me that its not, but feel the need to stand up for your hometown. Good for you.
It's not my hometown, it's my adopted town. A town, I might add, that gets absolutely no breaks on this forum from the "older & colder" crowd. It's getting old, and I thought you were one of "them." Obviously, I was wrong.

Let's just say that the City has started many, many initiatives - some as far back as 2003. Obviously Popular Science isn't aware of any of them.

We are making many strides here, and I AM proud of the place for how hard it IS trying to be Green.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
It's not my hometown, it's my adopted town. A town, I might add, that gets absolutely no breaks on this forum from the "older & colder" crowd. It's getting old, and I thought you were one of "them." Obviously, I was wrong.

Let's just say that the City has started many, many initiatives - some as far back as 2003. Obviously Popular Science isn't aware of any of them.

We are making many strides here, and I AM proud of the place for how hard it IS trying to be Green.
I have no reason to bash Atlanta, I lived there for just under a year. It definitely wasnt for me, but it has its strong points.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:45 PM

572 posts, read 1,994,939 times
gdude, It's not possible that 12% of the entire metro population uses bicycles to get around. At least not on a daily basis. 12% may own bikes and use them occationally. But I agree it's a very progressive, young city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City