Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate do you prefer?
Dry heat 133 73.48%
Humid Heat 48 26.52%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 11:06 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelwoman View Post
I HATE HUMIDITY!

I lived in Savannah Georgia for 2 years when I was 19-21. I liked a lot of it, except for the humidity. Oh Lord, it's like you've gotta wole blanket around you all day. You sweat like f*cking crazy. I 'member sweatin' like a pig out workin' in the fields in Georgia (worked on a plantation out there.) I'm from the Rocky Mountains, so that's probably why I hate humidity so much, but seriously. It's wet & thick, & it makes it hard as hell to stay cool.

Wyoming is dry as a bone. If you're out in the fields all day here, you still sweat. But let me tell ya, it feels damn good to be able to stand underneath a tree. It's like you just stepped in an icebox. In humid places, standin' under a tree don't get ya away from the sweltering wet heat. & when you take a deep breath in dry heat, you don't taste the air. In humidity, it tastes like someone's sweating in your mouth. (GAG.) When you're in dry heat, all ya gotta do is pour a little cold water over your head & you're officially refreshed. In humidity, you pour water over your head & it just feels like more sweat is runnin' down your face.

Georgia is greener & more lush, (as someone else said earlier,) but that heat they've got down there is freakin' miserable. Holey ****!

Jessie
Keep in mind that you can't characterize the weather and humdity as the same throughout Georgia. It's very hot and humid in the coastal and southern regions of the state, while North Georgia and the Piedmont are much less so due to higher altitude and a more temperate climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 11:19 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,384,032 times
I've been to Florida and Puerto Rico several times [both during winter and summer]. The humidity during summer is almost suffocating and there's no way you can avoid sweating through your clothes. Once I attended a cousin's wedding in San Juan and was embarrassed that my dark shirt showed huge sweat marks and stuck to my skin. During winter it is much more comfortable and fairly dry in Florida but Puerto Rico seems to stay humid all year long.

For a person accustomed to the dry heat of California, it is a difficult experience dealing with the South during summer.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I've been to Florida and Puerto Rico several times [both during winter and summer]. The humidity during summer is almost suffocating and there's no way you can avoid sweating through your clothes. Once I attended a cousin's wedding in San Juan and was embarrassed that my dark shirt showed huge sweat marks and stuck to my skin. During winter it is much more comfortable and fairly dry in Florida but Puerto Rico seems to stay humid all year long.

For a person accustomed to the dry heat of California, it is a difficult experience dealing with the South during summer.
Much the same as Georgia, the South has widely variant weather regions. The South is a very large region, and when you talk about "dealing with the South during the summer" are you talking about Florida, Texas, Tennessee, Virginia, or one of the other dozen or so states? Are you talking about the weather on the Gulf Coast, the Atlantic Coast, Appalachia, the Piedmont, along the Mississippi, or another area? These area are very different from one another.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:13 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,181,390 times
I don't even know what dry heat feels like.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
I don't even know what dry heat feels like.
A hand dryer? A hair dryer? A clothes dryer?

I have a feeling that none of it feels very good for more than a minute.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:56 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,760,563 times
Humid Heat is horrible! On Saturday the temp was 102 and the Heat Index was 105-110.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:40 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,062,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Humid Heat is horrible! On Saturday the temp was 102 and the Heat Index was 105-110.
If you live in Dallas you have it made compared to me. I live in Houston and not many places have it worse than me. The humidity and the mosquitoes are really bad here. Since moving to Houston I hate mosquitoes more than just about any other animal or bug on the planet. Here in Houston a dog isn't man's best friend, it's a can of DEET!

Old 07-19-2010, 11:11 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,384,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
A hand dryer? A hair dryer? A clothes dryer?

I have a feeling that none of it feels very good for more than a minute.
When it is windy and the 'santa ana's" are blowing humidity can drop below 10%. I've been to parks like 6 Flags Magic Mt on water rides that leave me totally drenched. It takes about 10 minutes to dry in the windy heat. In the Bay Area they call these winds "Diablo" that can cause serious wild fires.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:20 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,760,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
If you live in Dallas you have it made compared to me. I live in Houston and not many places have it worse than me. The humidity and the mosquitoes are really bad here. Since moving to Houston I hate mosquitoes more than just about any other animal or bug on the planet. Here in Houston a dog isn't man's best friend, it's a can of DEET!
In Dallas mosquitos is not a very big problem.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:36 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,186,506 times
An example of humidity's joys...we're expected to hit 95-100 between today and Sunday. Heat indexes are supposed to get to the 115 range before it's all over.

My parents live in a dry western climate. I was looking the other day at a weather site where it would give the temperature and a "feels like" temp. It just so happened the temperature at both places was the same.

Humid location temp--87--"feels like"--94.
Dry location temp--87--"feels like"--81.

Usually in their dry location the air temp and "feels like" temp is the same, but not always.

I'll take dry over humid any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City