Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 07:28 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So now, you've introduced a different term, "border state" instead of "border south." During the Civil War, Maryland was considered a border state because it had divided loyalties even though it never seceded from the Union.

That was 150 years ago. Today, Maryland is not a border state, let alone border south. The term "border south" never even appears in history books.

Maryland is squarely in the mid-Atlantic region, the same as Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York.
I believe border state and border south are interchangeable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 07:58 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I believe border state and border south are interchangeable.
Okay, maybe it is. But since this discussion is about what states "are" southern, can we stop relying on Civil War designations? That is really reaching.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 08-27-2011 at 08:20 PM..

Old 08-27-2011, 08:32 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,947,089 times
I know Texas is right next to Louisiana and was on the Confederate side in the Civil War and all, but it really doesn't seem southern to me. Apart from serving sweet tea, the whole idea of "Southern Charm" seems lost on most Texans.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
I know Texas is right next to Louisiana and was on the Confederate side in the Civil War and all, but it really doesn't seem southern to me. Apart from serving sweet tea, the whole idea of "Southern Charm" seems lost on most Texans.
If Lake Charles is southern, so is Beaumont.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:02 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,064,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Since when did that constitute a southern state? Never.
Annie I don't know what planet you've been living on but you obviously don't know about the south. The south is defined by very religious, very conservative people. Missouri and Kansas were classified wrong in the past because they're southern states.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
Annie I don't know what planet you've been living on but you obviously don't know about the south. The south is defined by very religious, very conservative people. Missouri and Kansas were classified wrong in the past because they're southern states.
There are conservative, religious people in Utah and Idaho. They must have been classified incorrectly as well, right?

Obviously YOU don't know the south. Our entire culture defines us, not just our political stance or religious preference. I'm not conservative nor very religious, I must be from Chicago...

Old 08-28-2011, 02:31 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Wellll, New Orleans (and I would love to visit that beautiful city someday!), you have to keep in mind that many in other parts of the Deep South do not consider south Louisiana a truly "Southern" area, either. Far as that goes, I --right hand to God -- know a couple of the ilk who don't even think of the whole state of Louisiana as part of the "real South" (because it is west of the Mississippi!) I hasten to add, I don't agree with them in the least... but just saying.

Anyway, so far as the rest of your missive goes (and this is all in the realm of good BS and congenial conversation! )...wellll, perhaps it is just a different facet of "Southern charm", reckon? Maybe we (Texans) are a bit more charming in our frontier ways, reckon? That is, not necessarily so much mint julips and niceties...but back-slappin' hey, how y'all doing type rowdy stuff sloppy BBQ type stuff! The best of the South flavored with a sauce of the West!

As to the War? Hell, the Texas boys just went out there and kicked butt and took names. Nothing fancy. And on that note, by way of illustration, I just GOTTA tell my favorite tale (a true one) about the Lone Star boys (Hood's Texas Brigade) of the Army of Northern Virginia. It went like this:

As parts of Lee's Army of Northern Virginia marched toward Gettysburg, some of the citizens along the said path came out to taunt them. One young woman was particularly vocal in her disdain for the "dirty rebels". To accentuate her contempt, she held a Union flag upon her "ample buxom."

Company after company of Confederate soldiers passed by without comment (undoutably the cavalier true Southern gentlemen types from New Orleans the genteel Georgia! *grins). However, when the Texas Brigade went by, one of the numbers looked over at her and gravely remarked:

"Better be careful, lil' lady...for us Texans are mighty fond of attacking 'breast-works" when the yankee colors is on them..."

How's that for Southern charm?

Last edited by TexasReb; 08-28-2011 at 02:44 PM..

Old 08-28-2011, 05:20 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

Wellll, New Orleans (and I would love to visit that beautiful city someday!), you have to keep in mind that many in other parts of the Deep South do not consider south Louisiana a truly "Southern" area, either. Far as that goes, I --right hand to God -- know a couple of the ilk who don't even think of the whole state of Louisiana as part of the "real South" (because it is west of the Mississippi!) I hasten to add, I don't agree with them in the least... but just saying.

Anyway, so far as the rest of your missive goes (and this is all in the realm of good BS and congenial conversation! )...wellll, perhaps it is just a different facet of "Southern charm", reckon? Maybe we (Texans) are a bit more charming in our frontier ways, reckon? That is, not necessarily so much mint julips and niceties...but back-slappin' hey, how y'all doing type rowdy stuff sloppy BBQ type stuff! The best of the South flavored with a sauce of the West!

As to the War? Hell, the Texas boys just went out there and kicked butt and took names. Nothing fancy. And on that note, by way of illustration, I just GOTTA tell my favorite tale (a true one) about the Lone Star boys (Hood's Texas Brigade) of the Army of Northern Virginia. It went like this:

As parts of Lee's Army of Northern Virginia marched toward Gettysburg, some of the citizens along the said path came out to taunt them. One young woman was particularly vocal in her disdain for the "dirty rebels". To accentuate her contempt, she held a Union flag upon her "ample buxom."

Company after company of Confederate soldiers passed by without comment (undoutably the cavalier true Southern gentlemen types from New Orleans the genteel Georgia! *grins). However, when the Texas Brigade went by, one of the numbers looked over at her and gravely remarked:

"Better be careful, lil' lady...for us Texans are mighty fond of attacking 'breast-works" when the yankee colors is on them..."

How's that for Southern charm?
You know TexReb I live on the TX/La border and I go to Texas often and notice that sometimes it is more southern than La. Maybe they just try harder. I don't know for sure. That is me seeing that; someone else may see differently.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
You know TexReb I live on the TX/La border and I go to Texas often and notice that sometimes it is more southern than La. Maybe they just try harder. I don't know for sure. That is me seeing that; someone else may see differently.
That doesn't make any sense to me, especially in that area.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:47 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,947,089 times
I really don't consider New Orleans to be all that southern, for what it's worth. I really like the Port Au Prince references and all. I just went out to a business park in the suburbs to get Popeye's and enjoyed it, thinking to myself "well isn't this nice, everybody's so polite, and you don't have the feeling that a gunfight is going to break out at any moment". Then I got back into the city and immediately though what I usually do, which is that even living in the New Orleans suburbs is too normal for me and would drive me crazy. Y'all may be like "a whole 'nother country", but we're like a whole different hemisphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City