Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is LESS southern, Austin or NOVA(North Virginia)?
Austin 34 21.38%
North Virginia 125 78.62%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 12:31 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by funtraveler1 View Post
Austin is southern.Texas as a whole is southern. NoVa is southern too but less southern than Austin.
The whole? I don't think many people would agree that El Paso and Laredo are Southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 01:47 PM

345 posts, read 530,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The whole? I don't think many people would agree that El Paso and Laredo are Southern.
That's why I said "as a whole". Texas has lots of outer influences (as shown by El paso and Laredo), but the southern influence dominates, thats why i say texas as a whole is southern. The area where most of the population in texas live (the triangle) is southern.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:31 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funtraveler1 View Post
That's why I said "as a whole". Texas has lots of outer influences (as shown by El paso and Laredo), but the southern influence dominates, thats why i say texas as a whole is southern. The area where most of the population in texas live (the triangle) is southern.
I see. I took it that you meant as entirety.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:43 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,821 times
I find Austin to be a little more "Southern" than NOVA. NOVA compares somewhat favorably to DFW -- uptight, fast paced, career-oriented, keeping up with the Jones's, ethnically diverse, etc. Austin feels like the "Big Easy" in comparison to NOVA. More laid back and more appreciative of the simpler things in life. NOVA is great for the type A corporate robot.

Old 10-08-2016, 10:56 AM

6,724 posts, read 6,718,975 times
NoVA is pretty much like the rest of the North or Mid-Atlantic. A northerner will feel far less culture shock there than someone from the rural south. Like rest of DC area, its full of transplants, many of whom come from NY or Boston. There are little traces of the south, though. The roads named after confederate generals, a small number of 50+ year old natives with southern accents, the pro-business, right to own a gun, right-to-work state policies.

But with the large Latino population, you now feel the Central American influences there a lot more than you do old Southern ones.

Old 10-08-2016, 12:04 PM

159 posts, read 269,296 times
NOVA literally isn't the south at all.

Old 10-08-2016, 08:19 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,030,165 times
Both are southern...I know some people don't want to believe that, but having traits of other regions doesn't disqualify an area from it's current boundaries. Many places have characteristic of neighboring regions but they are still a part of their region. It's funny how people like to distance themselves from the South by trying to make their area sound less southern - as if the South is a bad place. It's the fastest growing and largest region in the US, so many millions of people seem to be flocking to this region, but their presence will not make it less southern.

Old 10-09-2016, 08:41 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,117,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Both are southern...I know some people don't want to believe that, but having traits of other regions doesn't disqualify an area from it's current boundaries. Many places have characteristic of neighboring regions but they are still a part of their region. It's funny how people like to distance themselves from the South by trying to make their area sound less southern - as if the South is a bad place. It's the fastest growing and largest region in the US, so many millions of people seem to be flocking to this region, but their presence will not make it less southern.
Places can and do loose their southern confederate culture. Having boundaries in the south doesn't default a place to having southern confederate culture. Transplants and surrounding influences change regional cultures all the time.

That said a lot of people I have met from Austin I would put in the Southern culture box. I've never met anyone from northern Virginia that I considered Southern cultured.

Old 10-09-2016, 08:47 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Places can and do loose their southern confederate culture. Having boundaries in the south doesn't default a place to having southern confederate culture. Transplants and surrounding influences change regional cultures all the time.

That said a lot of people I have met from Austin I would put in the Southern culture box. I've never met anyone from northern Virginia that I considered Southern cultured.
What is it with you and this "Confederate culture" ish? What the hell does that even mean???

Old 10-09-2016, 09:26 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,117,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
What is it with you and this "Confederate culture" ish? What the hell does that even mean???
It means pertaining to a culture and people that can be traced back to the confederate states of America. Southerners like to use the term "southern" in a snarky way, where they like to say it is both a cultural and regional definition. With their crude terminology they like to say areas of the country that aren't Southern culturally, because they are located in the southern latitude portions of the US, are by default Southern culture.

Therefore I have given the new name to Southern culture, calling it confederate culture. As it rightly defines the aspects of the culture in the American south that I find distasteful. Baptist and Pentecostal churches, ugly accents, social backwardsness, less diverse ancestries, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City