Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is LESS southern, Austin or NOVA(North Virginia)?
Austin 34 21.38%
North Virginia 125 78.62%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 07:26 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
More like suburban New Jersey, and even then, that's a stretch. It feels more like a less southern version of the Atlanta suburbs (which also has a lot of Northeastern transplants)
I tend to agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
What in the Atlanta metro area is comparable to Alexandria VA?
Nothing in metro Atlanta is really comparable to Old Town Alexandria (which is a tiny part of NoVA) but outside of that, there are certainly more similarities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 07:48 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,690 times
Quote:
Nothing really, maybe Downtown Decatur, but that's more like Clarendon or North Arlington. I'm referring to the sprawling suburbia that constitutes much of NOVA like Centreville, Sterling, Reston, Woodbridge, Tysons, etc. when I compare it to the Atlanta Metro area. Old Town Alexandria is a very small and minute -albeit an important part of NOVA in the grand scheme of things. Its a wonderful area and really isn't duplicated in most parts of the Southeast (with a few exceptions).

Last edited by biscuit_head; 10-11-2016 at 08:17 AM..

Old 10-11-2016, 08:10 AM

830 posts, read 1,017,880 times
Quote:
Nothing really, maybe Downtown Decatur, but that's more like Clarendon or North Arlington. I'm referring to the sprawling suburbia that constitutes much of NOVA like Centreville, Sterling, Reston, Woodbridge, Tysons, etc. when I compare it to the Atlanta Metro area. Old Town Alexandria is a very small and minute -albeit an important part of NOVA in the grand scheme of things. Its a wonderful area and really isn't duplicated in most parts of the Southeast (with a few exception).
Hmmm..people forget, there's a lot more to NoVA than Old Town, Alexandria. People crawl past on I-95 through the northern quarter of the state and see all the names of towns and cities, but did you know that most of them have a quaint, cohesive and historic downtown with their own independent character? It's the rule, not the exception. Alexandria is close to DC, has the people and gets the glory but look at for example:

Occoquan, VA (street view)
Leesburg, VA (street view)
Fredericksburg (street view)
And even Manassas (street view)
etc., etc...

Like Mutiny mentioned, Northern VA is an area of the state that happens to be a crucial part of the DC region/DMV. Yes it has its sprawl, but by and large is a collection of unique communities in their own right.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:13 AM

830 posts, read 1,017,880 times
Quote:
Nothing really, maybe Downtown Decatur, but that's more like Clarendon or North Arlington. I'm referring to the sprawling suburbia that constitutes much of NOVA like Centreville, Sterling, Reston, Woodbridge, Tysons, etc. when I compare it to the Atlanta Metro area. Old Town Alexandria is a very small and minute -albeit an important part of NOVA in the grand scheme of things. Its a wonderful area and really isn't duplicated in most parts of the Southeast (with a few exception).
Hmmm..people forget, there's a lot more to NoVA than Old Town, Alexandria and pseudo-city office parks on steroids. People crawl past on I-95 through the northern quarter of the state and see all the names of towns and cities, but did you know that most of them have a quaint, cohesive and historic downtown with their own independent character? It's the rule, not the exception. Alexandria is close to DC, has the people and gets the glory but look at for example:

etc., etc...

Like Mutiny mentioned, Northern VA is an area of the state that happens to be a crucial part of the DC region/DMV. Yes it has its sprawl, but by and large is a collection of unique communities in their own right.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:17 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
Hmmm..people forget, there's a lot more to NoVA than Old Town, Alexandria. People crawl past on I-95 through the northern quarter of the state and see all the names of towns and cities, but did you know that most of them have a quaint, cohesive and historic downtown with their own independent character? It's the rule, not the exception. Alexandria is close to DC, has the people and gets the glory but look at for example:

etc., etc...

Great findings on GSV. I live in the DMV, so I know that. Lots of cities in Metro Atlanta have quaint, historic cohesive downtowns as well, Marietta, Roswell, Decatur, Fayetteville, Lawrenceville, to name a few. To me, it makes NOVA and Metro Atlanta very similar in that regard.

I feel that Old Town Alexandria is definitely the outlier in terms of its size compared the other cities in NOVA you mentioned that share those characteristics plus its access to DC due to public transportation and the redevelopment projects. There's nothing in Metro Atlanta that is on the scale of Old Town.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:33 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,858,153 times
NOVA is part of the Northeast, not the South. Austin is easily more Southern.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
Hmmm..people forget, there's a lot more to NoVA than Old Town, Alexandria and pseudo-city office parks on steroids. People crawl past on I-95 through the northern quarter of the state and see all the names of towns and cities, but did you know that most of them have a quaint, cohesive and historic downtown with their own independent character? It's the rule, not the exception. Alexandria is close to DC, has the people and gets the glory but look at for example:

etc., etc...

Metro Atlanta, particularly the northern suburbs, have communities with historic downtowns like those as well (with the exception of Fredericksburg, which seems to not really be considered NoVA).

Roswell: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0246...7i13312!8i6656

Marietta:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ma...!4d-84.5499327

Lawrenceville:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/La...!4d-83.9879625

Woodstock:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1000...7i13312!8i6656

Canton:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.2367...7i13312!8i6656

In terms of historic downtowns, Old Town Alexandria would be the major exception in a NoVA/suburban Atlanta comparison.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:47 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,721,264 times
DC is substantially smaller than atlanta proper in land area, so a place like alexandria would be within atl's city limits. Perhaps buckhead?

Old 10-11-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
DC is substantially smaller than atlanta proper in land area, so a place like alexandria would be within atl's city limits. Perhaps buckhead?
Alexandria actually used to be within DC's city limits. Atlanta doesn't have an Old Town equivalent anywhere in the metro, including the city proper. Alexandria was settled in the colonial era nearly a century before Atlanta so it makes sense.

Old 10-11-2016, 01:05 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,373,658 times
Quote:
Buckhead. Even there, not so much.

NoVA looks and feels far less southern than Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City