Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 01:12 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
This is useless. Any major city can list this if they want. I think for a city this size, focusing on your most iconic ones is better. By all means Milwaukee is not a global city. Having some charaters is better than a bit of everything.
My point was that Milwaukee is more ethnically diverse than San Antonio.

The City of Milwaukee is 40% white, 40% Black and 16% Hispanic. Unlike most cities, many of the white people in Milwaukee have managed to hang on to their ethnic traditions/identity over the decades.

Milwaukee is home to numerous ethnic festivals throughout the summer months.

Polish Fest ~ America's Largest Polish Fest ~ June 19-21, 2009 ~ Milwaukee, WI USA - Home Page

2009 GermanFest - Home

Mexican Fiesta | August 21st, 22nd, 23rd 2009

Festa Italiana - Italian, Festival, Milwaukee, WI

Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church, Milwaukee, Wisconsin - Milwaukee Greek Fest 2009 (http://www.annunciationwi.com/greek_fest.php - broken link)

ArabWorldFest.com | Arab World Fest | August 8, 9, 10 2008

Irish Fest

Africanworldfestival-milwaukee.com

Indian Summer Festival

About Silver City Main Street Milwaukee

- EASTTOWN.COM -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 02:09 PM

146 posts, read 343,221 times
Milwaukee has a very rich and deep tradition with many different ethnic backgrounds.

Here's a small sample of just one part of the many ethnic groups that have made up this city.
Give this video a quick look.

Milwaukee Fire Department | The Battalion (http://www.thebattalion.tv/webisodes/midwest/mfd - broken link)

Old 06-23-2009, 01:04 AM

7,075 posts, read 12,342,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyGavin View Post
Milwaukee has a very rich and deep tradition...
Is this code for 'Milwaukee is ghetto'? Seemed that way to me the last time I was there. This was 6 years ago BTW. Hopefully things have changed. Milwaukee just looked so dirty and ran down. Chicago was actually cleaner. I don't know. Maybe I saw Milwaukee on a bad day or something. I'd have to say Milwaukee was right up there with Flint, Michigan when it comes to looking old and dirty. I hope things have changed in the past 6 years. If not, San Antonio wins hands down.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:26 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,968,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Unlike most cities, many of the white people in Milwaukee have managed to hang on to their ethnic traditions/identity over the decades.
Huh?

And San Antonio. Gorgeous riverwalk, gorgeous ladies.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:10 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,923,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Is this code for 'Milwaukee is ghetto'? Seemed that way to me the last time I was there. This was 6 years ago BTW. Hopefully things have changed. Milwaukee just looked so dirty and ran down. Chicago was actually cleaner. I don't know. Maybe I saw Milwaukee on a bad day or something. I'd have to say Milwaukee was right up there with Flint, Michigan when it comes to looking old and dirty. I hope things have changed in the past 6 years. If not, San Antonio wins hands down.
Milwaukee is actually very clean and very beautiful. There are a couple of bad areas - maybe that's where you were. There are bad areas in every city, by the way. Don't judge the whole city by that. If you know Milwaukee, you know that it's a beautiful city. For you to say that it looks like Flint, MI shows you saw only a small part of the city, and not the best part. I don't really understand why people try to bash a city, when they obviously know nothing about it.

I'll post this for your reading pleasure. Harley Davidson Motorcycle Museum in Milwaukee, Wis. -- OrlandoSentinel.com (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/destinations/usa/la-tr-milwaukee6-2008jul06,0,4894748.story - broken link)

Last edited by NowInWI; 06-23-2009 at 06:58 AM..

Old 06-23-2009, 09:45 AM

7,075 posts, read 12,342,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Milwaukee is actually very clean and very beautiful. There are a couple of bad areas - maybe that's where you were. There are bad areas in every city, by the way. Don't judge the whole city by that. If you know Milwaukee, you know that it's a beautiful city. For you to say that it looks like Flint, MI shows you saw only a small part of the city, and not the best part. I don't really understand why people try to bash a city, when they obviously know nothing about it.

I'll post this for your reading pleasure. Harley Davidson Motorcycle Museum in Milwaukee, Wis. -- OrlandoSentinel.com (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/destinations/usa/la-tr-milwaukee6-2008jul06,0,4894748.story - broken link)
Which reminds me. Milwaukee was ghetto and the people were RUDE too. San Antonio hands down.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:45 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,003,088 times
All large cities east of the Mississippi have run down ghetto areas. This would include Charlotte. A selective tour can make any city look great or run down. I could give you a select tour of Milwaukee and you would think of it as one the great cities of America. There are run down ghetto neighborhoods in Milwaukee, but generally speaking it is a nice city and pleasant to visit. It's ghettos are no better or worse than most cities east of the Mississippi. As far as people being rude. There are polite people and rude people. Again not much different than anywhere else.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:59 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,341,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
My point was that Milwaukee is more ethnically diverse than San Antonio.

The City of Milwaukee is 40% white, 40% Black and 16% Hispanic. Unlike most cities, many of the white people in Milwaukee have managed to hang on to their ethnic traditions/identity over the decades.

Milwaukee is home to numerous ethnic festivals throughout the summer months.

Polish Fest ~ America's Largest Polish Fest ~ June 19-21, 2009 ~ Milwaukee, WI USA - Home Page

2009 GermanFest - Home

Mexican Fiesta | August 21st, 22nd, 23rd 2009

Festa Italiana - Italian, Festival, Milwaukee, WI

Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church, Milwaukee, Wisconsin - Milwaukee Greek Fest 2009 (http://www.annunciationwi.com/greek_fest.php - broken link)

ArabWorldFest.com | Arab World Fest | August 8, 9, 10 2008

Irish Fest

Africanworldfestival-milwaukee.com

Indian Summer Festival

About Silver City Main Street Milwaukee

- EASTTOWN.COM -

I feel uniquely suited to answer this question! I am from Chicago/Milwaukee are and now live in San Antonio.

Milwaukee is indeed more diverse. San Antonio, one of the first things I noticed....is basically two things..no, three. Mexican, German, or Mexican/German! You really notice the lack of African Americans and lack of Italian and other European countries. Forget about Italian, Greek, or Polish food.

I love both cities....they are very hard to compare as they are so different. It really depends on your priorities.

Texas provides some interesting roadtrips and closer proximity to the ocean..though...its no cali or florida. The great lakes, I prefer to Texas Coast....but you can only truly enjoy the great lakes (if we are talking summer beach time) for a few months.

The cities are comparable when it comes to things to do. I tend to like the people up north better, but it may be since that is where I am from I just "get them" more.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:05 AM

146 posts, read 343,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post

There are some parts of the city that are very run down, or very "ghetto", or very violent. It would be a lie to say otherwise.
Is it a Flint, MI? Absolutely not. There is still some business in the city, and there is still a very good base of city infrastructure, where the city of Flint has none.
Maybe in a few years Milwaukee will be in the same boat as Flint, but it isn't right now, as a whole.

I personally don't even know why anyone would compare Milwaukee to San Antonio, in the first place.
There is no way that the climate up here can compete with the climate there, or the growth, or any host of other items.
Milwaukee has been in a steep decline for well over thirty years, or more. The point of my original post was the significant ethnic history that Milwaukee does have.
It is, as this thread shows, often overlooked or largely ignored.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:15 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,003,088 times
Tommy - As someone who has lived in both the Flint and Milwaukee area, I can honestly tell you Milwaukee is more than a few years from being Flint. Milwaukee has problems, but many things are moving forward and much progress has been made. The Flint/Pontiac/Detroit area has made been in a much steeper rust belt decline than any other metro area. Milwaukee is minor league compared to Michigan when it comes to urban blight. Milwaukee hit bottom in the early to mid 90's and has made impressive progress since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City