Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Texification of California or Californication of Texas?
Texification 13 21.31%
Californication 48 78.69%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 01:14 AM

2,327 posts, read 3,941,585 times

Advertisements

(Probably most controversial post yet!)

I can dream, but I think most of the nation would prefer that to what's been happening the last thirty or so years to western states.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Bo; 08-01-2010 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: Moved from General US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 01:30 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,522,409 times
Is the question what we think is happening, or what we'd prefer to happen? I thought Texas is being Californicated and I thought that was the question, so that's what I voted. As for what I'd prefer, I don't know, I don't live there. But I think most of the country would like to see it the other way around, or at least definitely Texas. When I think of Californication, I think of overpopulation, overspending and questionable spending, and infrastructure not keeping pace with out of control growth and falling apart. I'm not saying that's what California is, I just thought Californication was all about negative qualities.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:18 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,069,441 times
California can't adapt to Texas style all that fast, because to do so they would need to fix their tax problems and government view on business friendly atmosphere, which will take very long. It's an economical change. Texas's state constitution has placed barriers for tax rates since the state was created, California doesn't have that luxury backbone for lower taxing, their taxes can inflate or depreciate regarding state policy and major changes. It's a slow process but California will get itself out of any kind of mess that it's in, it's a state with resources to be able to do so.

Texas is adapting to California's social patterns, a lot of Texas is turning more liberal, Austin is a shell of how conservative it was maybe 30 years ago, and same for most to all major cities in Texas. It's a social reform, and it's a good thing, building in the tolerance. Economically Texas has always had it set with their state constitution and how involved the state government really can get, which is pretty limited compared to other states.

All in all, Texas is adapting California's style socially a lot faster than California will adapt Texas's economical standpoint.

Both states were hit by the recession, but Texas weathered it nicely where as California took a hit, Texas also has deficit just like California does, but it's making ways to cut even and stay in the positives.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:20 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,973,782 times
Play the Red Hot Chilli Peppers song

Old 08-01-2010, 05:27 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,069,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Play the Red Hot Chilli Peppers song
Dani California- Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Right?

I really like that song for some reason:

YouTube - Red Hot Chili Peppers - Dani California

Old 08-01-2010, 05:32 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,973,782 times
That works but this also

YouTube - Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication (Video)

Old 08-01-2010, 08:42 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,401,171 times
I'm not sure what the OP is asking us to vote on so I left it blank. But if it is a question of how each state may influence the other than I think it is sort of a one-way thing. Some criticize California for is out-of-control spending; in good times the state expands state programs to address almost every issue possible but then can't pay for these programs in bad times [like it is now]. But to change that kind of thinking toward a more fiscally conservative approach may never happen since the voters in California have such a direct hand in making decisions via voters initiatives. A combination of a liberal state assembly\ senate and voters wish list of goodies has meant wonderful programs [the latest of which is construction of a bullet train from San Diego to San Francisco] that unfortunately can not be paid for. I'm not sure but I don't think Texas allows it's voters the kind of latitude Californians have.

The other issue is environmental. Because of various climatic and geographic factors [prevailing westerly winds and many mountain ranges] air pollution is a critical problem in California in a way that Texas may never need to worry about [though Houston isn't far behind in poor air]. As a result, California has the strictest air quality standards of any state and still has the worse air quality. Industries are regulated in California to the extent that some companies leave the state for places like Texas where air pollution is not a problem and they can spew pollutants in the air without harming the environment too much.

So California will never be able to accept certain environmental freedoms Texas allows and unless the state constitution does away with voter initiatives California will always be tempted to spend money it doesn't have.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:03 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,585,052 times
What is the poll for? For which one you think is better, or which one is actually going to happen?

I'm assuming you just want opinions of preference. The Californication of Texas is happening much more rapidly. You barely hear about the Texification of California. Like missRoxyhart said, Califonication is usually associated with the bad (not always), while Texification sounds more of a joke to me. I think that both have their privileges and both have their negatives, and that I hope both states can learn from each other. So I don't really prefer one or the other.

Last edited by Lovely95; 08-01-2010 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: Spelling problem

Old 08-01-2010, 09:20 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,771,235 times
Texas is becoming more like California, but California isnt becoming like Texas at all in my opinion. Probably because of all the Californians (like me) who have moved to Texas.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:39 AM

648 posts, read 1,620,226 times
Neither of them are remotely similar. Texas is business friendly, upper class friendly, middle class friendly and in turn thank you to the cost of living is lower class friendly. Politically they are arch rivals. The only thing I can see them relating in is suburban sprawl. Other than that no. If Texas continues in its direction it will have a higher GDP than California. Texas is the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City