Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live in Alabama or South Carolina?
Alabama 80 24.10%
South Carolina 252 75.90%
Voters: 332. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 06:34 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,725,973 times

Advertisements

Which state would you rather live in, and why?

Which state has more to offer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 09:43 AM

321 posts, read 1,097,037 times
Alabama, the snow melts there, but in South Carolina it stays for a little bit... Okay maybe that isn't a very good reason.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:57 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Although Alabama has more going for it than people give it credit for, I've got to be a homer and vote for South Carolina here. Of course when it comes to the beaches, SC wins hands down. There is no Alabama equivalent for Myrtle Beach, Charleston, or Hilton Head. I'm pretty sure the GDP for both states is the same. Economically both states have made automotive manufacturing a pillar of the economy (Hyundai and Mercedes in Alabama, BMW in South Carolina), and Mobile's port is quite competitive with Charleston's. It's a bit hard to match up cities between both states: Charleston and Mobile would match up I suppose due to both being coastal cities. As a city, Birmingham is larger than any other in SC, but as a metropolitan area, it matches up with the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson CSA with both having populations of roughly 1.2 million. Huntsville would probably match up against Greenville. I don't think the capitals match up well. In terms of institutions, maybe Auburn and Clemson match up (but I think we're talking about SEC and ACC here). I'd say UAB and MUSC match up well due to their medical programs. That's about all I can come up with, LOL.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:49 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,616,925 times
I don't know...this is tough.....quite similar across the board....

Old 06-27-2009, 09:43 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,069 times
When I think of Bama all i can remember is all those mosquitoes in Mobile. And south carolina is one of my family states so im voting for that.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:51 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Although Alabama has more going for it than people give it credit for, I've got to be a homer and vote for South Carolina here. Of course when it comes to the beaches, SC wins hands down. There is no Alabama equivalent for Myrtle Beach, Charleston, or Hilton Head. I'm pretty sure the GDP for both states is the same. Economically both states have made automotive manufacturing a pillar of the economy (Hyundai and Mercedes in Alabama, BMW in South Carolina), and Mobile's port is quite competitive with Charleston's. It's a bit hard to match up cities between both states: Charleston and Mobile would match up I suppose due to both being coastal cities. As a city, Birmingham is larger than any other in SC, but as a metropolitan area, it matches up with the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson CSA with both having populations of roughly 1.2 million. Huntsville would probably match up against Greenville. I don't think the capitals match up well. In terms of institutions, maybe Auburn and Clemson match up (but I think we're talking about SEC and ACC here). I'd say UAB and MUSC match up well due to their medical programs. That's about all I can come up with, LOL.
The Eastern Shore of Mobile Bay (Daphne/Fairhope/Point Clear) compares IMO to Hilton Head/Bluffton. Orange Beach/Gulf Shores/Perdido Key certainly compares (and IMO surpasses) Myrtle Beach.
SC gets my vote beacause of Charleston and the SC coastline.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:58 AM

402 posts, read 852,948 times
I will admit that I recently moved to Alabama and that I have not been to SC in years (and not to the cities), so it would be unfair for me to say which state is better, but I will say Alabama is a great place and offers something for everyone, and is nothing like how outsiders describe it.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:04 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,725,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nva79 View Post
I will admit that I recently moved to Alabama and that I have not been to SC in years (and not to the cities), so it would be unfair for me to say which state is better, but I will say Alabama is a great place and offers something for everyone, and is nothing like how outsiders describe it.
I agree with this, Alabama gets a bad wrap.

South Carolina is known for the coast, I guess, and that's what puts it higher in many peoples' minds - judging from the poll so far.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:45 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
The Eastern Shore of Mobile Bay (Daphne/Fairhope/Point Clear) compares IMO to Hilton Head/Bluffton. Orange Beach/Gulf Shores/Perdido Key certainly compares (and IMO surpasses) Myrtle Beach.
SC gets my vote beacause of Charleston and the SC coastline.
I meant as far as popularity goes. I should have clarified that.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:46 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
If I was being physically tortured and had to pick (lol), I'd choose SC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City