Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2009, 05:03 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
Columbus

Major city status is debateable in my opinion. If people are mentioning cities like Charlotte and Austin, Columbus is on the same level so therefore can be metioned.

Extremely diverse economy, growing population in the city and metro area, plenty of fortune 500 companies, great universities (Not just Ohio State), beautiful park system, great city neighborhoods, billions being put into downtown development, great culture. Most important, like Austin, it has a STABLE economy. Only problem is too many Michiganders and New Yorkers moving in (kidding)
Yes it can. Columbus is a nice place and I have a feeling it can do well for Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 05:07 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmo1984 View Post
What?
North Carolina second behind California? Huh?

New York City alone probably has 5 times the entire state of North Carolina's film industry.

Massachusetts and Texas are also far ahead of North Carolina regarding film...
I think what stefsanity is talking about are these studios in Wilmington which have filmed a lot of movies and a few popular TV shows. I do believe it was one of the biggest, not sure if outside of CA, but maybe. The thing is, when you say that a movie studio won't make a difference in a city, it really could. There are several cities building massive projects(the biggest one I can think of is in New Mexico) and I think that it can only help the economies if done right.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:47 PM

415 posts, read 1,209,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Just because some cities havent had results with the aforementioned economic factors doesnt stop other cities from prospering from them.

Tell Austin that UT played no part in its growth.

Tell Atlanta that Tyler Perry Studios didnt help Atlanta economically, granted not a significant change.

Tell Houston that its port isnt a big economic player in its economy.

If a city does something right, then it will grow and develop. But the fact that Charleston's port isnt major today, doesnt mean that another port wont be important just because Charleston didnt prosper.

It all depends on the city....
But actually that is the point I was making very few cities get as far as Atlanta or Austin cause a film studio. It takes a lot honestly but you are right about the cities involvement ect. .

Old 12-26-2009, 09:51 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefansanity View Post
Baton Rouge? Im sorry but I would have to disagree. North Carolina has the 2nd largest film industry behind California, hell even small town like Shelby NC have film studios, they dont make a difference in your city developing honestly,nor Colleges, or Universities. Hell even ports dont make that much of a budge except the potential to hurt a city economical, just like it has Charleston and its been one of the biggest since the founding of the country, but you still see Charleston is still only about 120,000 thousand at the most.
Wait.....so lets take out the universities, media and ports in LA. Would LA still be ranked on the same level????

Old 12-26-2009, 09:53 PM

95 posts, read 76,944 times
Quote:
Baton Rouge? Im sorry but I would have to disagree. North Carolina has the 2nd largest film industry behind California, hell even small town like Shelby NC have film studios, they dont make a difference in your city developing honestly,nor Colleges, or Universities. Hell even ports dont make that much of a budge except the potential to hurt a city economical, just like it has Charleston and its been one of the biggest since the founding of the country, but you still see Charleston is still only about 120,000 thousand at the most.
Have you ever heard of cities called New York City and Chicago? Also, Miami does too.

They produce way more films than the state of NC.

NC probably gets films that have a 1,000 dollar budget. LOL

Old 12-26-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmo1984 View Post
What?
North Carolina second behind California? Huh?

New York City alone probably has 5 times the entire state of North Carolina's film industry.

Massachusetts and Texas are also far ahead of North Carolina regarding film...
here are a few links I wish I could find the exact article that I read it in though.
North Carolina Film Office - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-26-2009, 10:01 PM

95 posts, read 76,944 times
Quote:
here are a few links I wish I could find the exact article that I read it in though.
North Carolina Film Office - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The list of moves in the first link looks really short.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDN99 View Post
The list of moves in the first link looks really short.
I don't know if that is just a brief over view or what cause it is from Wikipedia but anyways its an ass load Ill so some research tomorrow to see if I can find that article again.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:11 PM

840 posts, read 2,085,417 times
NC does have a large film industry. I think every major city in NC has a few film studios and the largest is in Wilmington, Screen Gems which produces TV shows and movies.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:35 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times
Quote:
Louisiana ranks 3rd after New York and California in film production quantity and revenue.

Moving Pictures: Louisiana

Louisiana Film & Television (films by year) (http://www.louisianaentertainment.gov/film/films_by_year.cfm - broken link)

Louisiana Film & Television (television shows by year) (http://www.louisianaentertainment.gov/film/tv_by_year.cfm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City