Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 10:36 AM

15 posts, read 17,527 times

Advertisements

Here are my top cities that people, I feel, envy for various reasons and why.

Please note I have no dog in the fight regarding of either citiy. This is just from my observation viewing this particular over the last couple of years.

For whatever reason, I've noticed that the 3 cities listed below are costantly part of some sort of heated debate, which often turns into people from other cities comparing there city to them or "who will be the next NY" type conversation. (ie. best city, best food, best partymusic scene, celebrities) I've alway heard that the best form of flattery is imitation.

1- New York- I've noticed how a lot of people try to down play the dominance of NY. They try to debate its status in the US, whether its the best place to live or not...the list goes on and on to ad nasaseum.

IMHO, and obviously the majority of others, NY is the Alpha and the Omega in the US. It always have been and always will be. So people from the Midwest get over it. Chicago will NEVER overtake NY or LA for that matter, as the best city in America. Outside of downtown Chicago the place is hideous from the moment you leave the airport to downtown Chi-town. I use to live at the Milennium Plaza (151 N Mich) so I know for where I speak

2- Cali Cities (includ. Beverly Hill/Malibu/SF/SD) - These cities are home to the rich and famous for a reason. Anybody who can afford it typically have some sort of residence in Cali. Enough Said.

3- Atlanta- Over the last 20-25 years, this city has become as about iconic as many would have thought. Its is the Mecca for AA and has been for some time. I know the folk from the NE, specifically DC, will debate this but its been well documented that Atlanta is the place that the majority of AA flock to for various reasons, including cost of living, HBCU, black history, and women...right now its just the place to be. And being recently recognized as the "NO#1 place for Men by Maxim" doesn't hurt either. http://www.maxim.com/amg/STUFF/Slide...est+Man+Cities

I know Prince Charles and Dekalb Counties have been known as 2 of the most affluent areas in country, but I think its because of the cost of living and income in the Prince Charles that affects its scale of pay comparison.

Nonetheless, whenever Black Entertainers and Athletes speak of their current or desired location they overwhelmingly refer to Metro Atlanta...not DC or Houston or Dallas or Charlotte. Get over it! On the other hand, maybe I should exclude Houston all together as a desired place to live for entertainers/atheletes...its just not considered all that by those who can pick and chose where they want to live and money is no object.

Last edited by Bo; 06-30-2011 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: Moved to City vs. City. If it's not a relocation comparison, it doesn't belong in General US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 10:39 AM

1,495 posts, read 2,299,695 times
Haha what? Chicago is "hideous?" Wow, well you're entitled to your opinion, but obviously a lot of people like it here. I agree that it's not the most trendy place, but most people here don't care about that anyway.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:30 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
LOL, what a Troll thread.

Toss out a few cities and bash other ones. Nothing to see here, just another boob trying to get a flame war started.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:07 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,793 times
you already made this thread in city vs city... come on now..

Old 06-26-2011, 01:14 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Wichita Falls, Texas - People are so envious of it they mostly refuse to even discuss it.

More "seriously"

Honolulu, Hawaii - Because of its high "Emotional Health" and "Life Evaluation."

Boulder, Colo., Leads U.S. Metro Areas in Wellbeing

Lincoln, Nebraska - Because of its low unemployment rate and it's also high in Gallup's well-being index.

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Denver, Colorado - According to Pew Research it's the most popular "big city" in America. San Diego, California is close though.

http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1096/com...ion-top-cities

Santa Fe, New Mexico - Because it has such a long history.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:23 PM

717 posts, read 898,765 times
For a time, Atlanta was THE place to be for black folks, but in the last few years we've been considering other options, and cities like Houston, Dallas, and Charlotte are quickly gaining in popularity.

Decades from now, there probably will not be one city in the south seen as the black mecca.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
For a time, Atlanta was THE place to be for black folks, but in the last few years we've been considering other options, and cities like Houston, Dallas, and Charlotte are quickly gaining in popularity.

Decades from now, there probably will not be one city in the south seen as the black mecca.
true- I can agree with your assessment. The reason I referred to cities like CLT, DC, Dal, and Houston is because they seem to have the most resentment towards Atlanta.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:05 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quepasa My Friends View Post
Nonetheless, whenever Black Entertainers and Athletes speak of their current or desired location they overwhelmingly refer to Metro Atlanta...not DC or Houston or Dallas or Charlotte. Get over it! On the other hand, maybe I should exclude Houston all together as a desired place to live for entertainers/atheletes...its just not considered all that by those who can pick and chose where they want to live and money is no object.
Ha ha, you wish.
It seemed Houston is really desired to me since they gained a hella lot of people. Number one last decade.

And Houston people don't resent ATL. I like ATL a lot, I just prefer Houston.

Seems like you are the one with resentment issues.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
Haha what? Chicago is "hideous?" Wow, well you're entitled to your opinion, but obviously a lot of people like it here. I agree that it's not the most trendy place, but most people here don't care about that anyway.
Don't get me wrong- I truly enjoyed living in downtown Chicago, really! But I constantly here how people go on about Chicago is "second to none" which I don't beleive to be the case. What I do notice is that when people, particularly celebirities, are discussing places to go for major entertainment,extended vacation spots, or living they fly over Chicago coming and going to either NY or California...and it doesn't matter what time of the season it is. To me, that speaks volumes about a city. In the US its all about NY and Cali. However, I do hear people constantly refer to Chicago as their home and how proud they are of the city, yet they're living somewhere else. And please don't tell me how cold it is there. I lived there and endured the winter seasons. Its bad but not that bad!

Last edited by Quepasa My Friends; 06-26-2011 at 03:36 PM..

Old 06-26-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Ha ha, you wish.
It seemed Houston is really desired to me since they gained a hella lot of people. Number one last decade.

And Houston people don't resent ATL. I like ATL a lot, I just prefer Houston.

Seems like you are the one with resentment issues.

Sorry, but I don't live in either city and could care less. I call it like I see it. Unfortunately, Houston is not on anybody's Top 5 list as most desired for anything but oil
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City