Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2009, 02:02 PM

318 posts, read 320,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
Several decades ago: Yes, NYC was pretty much "The center of the World".

This was especially true after WWII, when Wall St. started to get out of the depresstion, America was the sole Superpower on Earth, and the city was the largest in the world.

Now we live in a world, in which information and ideas flow via the Internet.

NYC is starting to loose its grip on the most important city in the World.

NYC is still an important global city. Though, I believe by the end of the Century, a city like Hong Kong or even Tokyo, or even surpise! London, will pass her up.

NYC's century was the 20th.
If you want to claim New York is losing its grip than you have to provide the name of the city that is gaining and no, Tokyo nor Hong Kong will never be centers of the Western world, that's nonsense as much as believing that Bollywood threatens Hollywood and for the same exact reason - cultural gap...
Agreed, the internet and global, instantenous information flow led to decentralization of certain functions in science, culture and politics yet there is no other city in the world that can claim as much influence on the world as New York: Wall Street and United Nations are still global power brokers nobody can dismiss as irrelevant.
I am very surprised so many Americans question NYC's role in the world, do we really want the center of the known Universe to move to another country or a continent?
Think twice, even if you hate New York and what it stands for with all your heart....

Last edited by thefinalcut; 07-10-2009 at 02:32 PM..

Old 07-10-2009, 02:18 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,089,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
In what way outside of hip hop music is LA heavily influenced by when it comes to New York?
Well considering hip hop is the biggest component of modern black culture,nuff said. But fashion for two

Old 07-10-2009, 02:20 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Well considering hip hop is the biggest component of modern black culture,nuff said. But fashion for two
I don't think NYC has started any kind of fashion statement in LA. LA has always been a fashionable city.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:31 PM

318 posts, read 320,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I don't think NYC has started any kind of fashion statement in LA. LA has always been a fashionable city.
Yet hip-hop started in New York and LA embraced it wholehartidely...

Old 07-10-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
I am very surprised so many Americans question NYC's role in the world, do we really want the center of the known Universe to move to another country or a continent?
Think twice, even if you hate New York and what it stands for with all your heart....
Jealousy clouds this. I thought that would be common sense to americans

Old 07-10-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
The whole retro look everybody is doing is new york based. Thats probably the most popular fashion trend right now and basically for the past 5 years

Old 07-10-2009, 02:52 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
It is big. But not the only component. So again I ask, outside of hip hop, what does NY influence LA on. Oh and fashion in LA is very different than NY.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It is big. But not the only component. So again I ask, outside of hip hop, what does NY influence LA on. Oh and fashion in LA is very different than NY.
Considering hip hop is a big part of la culture, i wouldnt need to say anything else. LA certaintly doesnt have anything that huge effecting new york in any shape or form. And as far as fashion, i already stated it in my previous post

Old 07-10-2009, 03:14 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
The whole retro look everybody is doing is new york based. Thats probably the most popular fashion trend right now and basically for the past 5 years
New York gets its fashion trends from London. That retro look is nothing, but something brought back form the 80s and 90s.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:36 PM

542 posts, read 1,498,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
Yet hip-hop started in New York and LA embraced it wholehartidely...
Yet when LA developed its own style, and NY, being the insecure whiners that they are, cried that it wasn't "real hip-hop" and the tension developed into the infamous East Coast/West Coast war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City