Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 08:17 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,695,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about. The lakes in central FL are used for recreation all the time. Ever heard of Cypress Gardens?
Quote:
Originally Posted by History Rules View Post
Apparently I do, as I did not write that article and several others about people dying from bacteria in central florida lakes. Do those articles not know what they are talking about either???
Don't pay him no mind... Let him make a fool out of himself. Facts are facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 11:06 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,746,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by History Rules View Post
Water-borne infections/illnesses from bacteria and amoebas

Yeh, but it is 1/2 water, 1/2 bird terd, and you swim in it, you just might die. I prefer Lakes that you can swim in.
Way to change the subject after being proven wrong . It might be a dirty lake, but it is still a lake.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:59 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Way to change the subject after being proven wrong . It might be a dirty lake, but it is still a lake.
Its more of a sinkhole pond then a lake.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:45 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
Alligators and Pythons and Tourists oh my!

Old 07-15-2009, 06:45 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,967,672 times
Seems like some are trying to disqualify places because their waterfronts don't contain AS MUCH water as some other place. A waterfront is a waterfront, even if it is sometimes filled and sometimes dry, like Dallas' Trinity river, or even if it's called bayou instead of river, like Houston's Buffalo Bayou, which has trails along it and a downtown Aquarium that is right next to it. It totally defies logic to say that because one place's waterfront doesn't have as much water as another place then it means the first place doesn't have a waterfront at all.

Somebody said Denver doesn't have a waterfront. I have walked through downtown Denver and when I was there, the Platte River came right through downtown, and Cherry Creek emptied into it, and Denver had pedestrian bridges connecting the banks of its waterfront, a Commons Park on one side of its waterfront, REI on the other side of its waterfront, and they even had decorative pumpkins sitting on the rocks in the rapids area of the waterfront right under the Speer Blvd. bridge. The waterfront trails extend well past Elitch Gardens and Invesco Field at Mile High. Whomever said Denver doesn't have a waterfront is mistaken. They may as well have said the Platte River is not a river. LOL

Now, in the spirit of the OP, I'll list Charlotte as a city without a developed riverfront, lakefront, or bayfront.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:15 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Seems like some are trying to disqualify places because their waterfronts don't contain AS MUCH water as some other place. A waterfront is a waterfront, even if it is sometimes filled and sometimes dry, like Dallas' Trinity river, or even if it's called bayou instead of river, like Houston's Buffalo Bayou, which has trails along it and a downtown Aquarium that is right next to it. It totally defies logic to say that because one place's waterfront doesn't have as much water as another place then it means the first place doesn't have a waterfront at all.

Somebody said Denver doesn't have a waterfront. I have walked through downtown Denver and when I was there, the Platte River came right through downtown, and Cherry Creek emptied into it, and Denver had pedestrian bridges connecting the banks of its waterfront, a Commons Park on one side of its waterfront, REI on the other side of its waterfront, and they even had decorative pumpkins sitting on the rocks in the rapids area of the waterfront right under the Speer Blvd. bridge. The waterfront trails extend well past Elitch Gardens and Invesco Field at Mile High. Whomever said Denver doesn't have a waterfront is mistaken. They may as well have said the Platte River is not a river. LOL

Now, in the spirit of the OP, I'll list Charlotte as a city without a developed riverfront, lakefront, or bayfront.
Exactly. You can't come out and say "Dallas dosen't have a waterfront", because a river runs right through the city! If it dosen't have waterfront, than what is it?

Old 07-15-2009, 08:42 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,488,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
It does...but Houston isn't positioned ON the water and therefore doesn't have a waterfront in the city, or at least not that I can remember seeing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Exactly. You can't come out and say "Dallas dosen't have a waterfront", because a river runs right through the city! If it dosen't have waterfront, than what is it?
When other posters are saying Houston, Dallas and Denver aren't waterfront cities, they're implying the cities themselves aren't centered around the body of water. This is a fine line here, but you really can't compare the bodies of water in those three cities to the bodies of water in Chicago, Seattle, New York or Tampa. They don't compare. Sure, it's a definition with a degree variance, but Dallas is not a waterfront city. There is a body of water that passes through it, but it isn't the lifeblood of the city.

On the other hand, Houston is a much more unique city. It is near a major body of water, but it's not on that body of water. The reason Houston's port is so big (usually ranking one, two or three in the US depending on the measuring criteria) is because it utilizes every inch of a stretch of dredged bayou that connects the outer reaches of the city to the Gulf of Mexico. The waterfront isn't directly in the urbanized portion of the city. The port authority is about ten miles from downtown Houston, Galveston Bay is about twenty miles from downtown and the Gulf is about 45-50 miles. I don't consider it a waterfront city either.

This:

does not equal this:

Old 07-15-2009, 09:03 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,051,693 times
As usual, this is ridiculous. Orlando bashers are a joke...how far will you go bash something that literally everyone else considers pretty? Lake Eola is undeniably a beautiful park in the urban setting that it resides. Anyone that does not think this park is pretty has bad taste, period. Nobody really cares that Lake Eola it is not a real lake. Do you know how many lakes in the US are man made? Are those not 'real'? People walk around Lake Eola and enjoy the setting. I have not noticed any bird crap and I have walked around there many times. And for that matter, all of Thornton Park is clean and well manicured. Unless you go looking for a reason to complain, you will not find one.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:13 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
As usual, this is ridiculous. Orlando bashers are a joke...how far will you go bash something that literally everyone else considers pretty? Lake Eola is undeniably a beautiful park in the urban setting that it resides. Anyone that does not think this park is pretty has bad taste, period. Nobody really cares that Lake Eola it is not a real lake. Do you know how many lakes in the US are man made? Are those not 'real'? People walk around Lake Eola and enjoy the setting. I have not noticed any bird crap and I have walked around there many times. And for that matter, all of Thornton Park is clean and well manicured. Unless you go looking for a reason to complain, you will not find one.
I tried to rep you for this Pete, but I have to spread it around a little.

I could not agree with you more. The "older & colder" crowd seems to be especially vicious lately.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:21 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,051,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I tried to rep you for this Pete, but I have to spread it around a little.

I could not agree with you more. The "older & colder" crowd seems to be especially vicious lately.
Thanks...you are, as usual, a voice of reason around here!

Yeah, this looks like a horrible place...

http://www.eolaparkrealty.com/images/Waverly/Waverly%20Lake.jpg (broken link)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City