Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which skyline do you prefer and why?
Los Angeles 173 44.94%
Philadelphia 212 55.06%
Voters: 385. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 11:03 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times

Advertisements

A few on the horizon here (The W at 582 ft)

Update: W Hotel Creeping Forward at 15th and Chestnut | NakedPhilly

This under construction (think will be 426 ft)
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8454/7...a7d9851c_b.jpg

This
PennConnects : *—*Cira Centre South Images

this (to me unlikely but three buildins in the 180-280 ft range just got approved right within 3 blocks just yesterday)
http://planphilly.com/sites/planphil...issanceTwo.png

A 400-foot high rise at 400 N. Columbus Blvd? Not so fast, says Planning Commission | Philadelphia Real Estate Blog

(This is the coolest of htose three IMHO albeit smaller and worth a look and approved yesterday actually)
Giant Tower of Controversy in Old City Wants Your Vote - Development Watch - Curbed Philly

And two more in the west CBD estimated between 400-500ft and Fergies tower at ~500ft just off Market East

It like everything kicked up here in the last few weeks actually

Now if only Comcoat 2 comes in at least 800ft I will be happy and 5 of these replace surface lots, yeah

Last edited by JMT; 09-19-2012 at 12:40 PM..

Old 09-19-2012, 11:38 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
No Wilshire Grand is going to break ground in the fall. Good for Philly having more highrises going up. LA is more focused on in-fill / transportation expansion than skyline-building.

I think most of the highrises I have seen are not all that tall, probably around 30-40 stories.
You consider 30-40 stories not that tall?! With today's LEED certifications (something LA doesn't know much about because nothing significant has been built there in quite some time)... a LEED Certified 40 story building could be 750 feet. Look at Comcast Center... it is only 60 floors but rises 975 feet.

I'm not knocking LA, I'm praising them for "densifying" it's surroundings and adding more public transit options, that will surely drive real estate prices up. The perfect way to build a city is to build to critical mass then densify... you build low rises until real estate prices go so high it is only logical to build mid rises... then you build mid rises until critical mass where real estate prices go so high it is only logical to build high rises and so on and so forth through skyscrapers and supertalls. Since most of Philadelphia is built to critical mass with low rises and mid rises (well everywhere except for a lot of North Philadelphia where there is a lot of empty lots). The only option in most areas is to build upward. So I think it's something to be praised that LA is building to critical mass and not taking the route of Houston and other Southern Cities and building skyscrapers for no reason and ending up with seas of parking in the downtown areas. I'd rather see 20-30 midrise/highrise buildings in LA built than 4 or 5 skyscrapers... wouldn't you?

That's what is happening on the Delaware Waterfront in Philadelphia... the City put a 100 foot height limit on the waterfront and it is spreading development outward instead of upward filling up more empty space instead of concentrating it all in one spot.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:51 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
You consider 30-40 stories not that tall?! With today's LEED certifications (something LA doesn't know much about because nothing significant has been built there in quite some time)... a LEED Certified 40 story building could be 750 feet. Look at Comcast Center... it is only 60 floors but rises 975 feet.

I'm not knocking LA, I'm praising them for "densifying" it's surroundings and adding more public transit options, that will surely drive real estate prices up. The perfect way to build a city is to build to critical mass then densify... you build low rises until real estate prices go so high it is only logical to build mid rises... then you build mid rises until critical mass where real estate prices go so high it is only logical to build high rises and so on and so forth through skyscrapers and supertalls. Since most of Philadelphia is built to critical mass with low rises and mid rises (well everywhere except for a lot of North Philadelphia where there is a lot of empty lots). The only option in most areas is to build upward. So I think it's something to be praised that LA is building to critical mass and not taking the route of Houston and other Southern Cities and building skyscrapers for no reason and ending up with seas of parking in the downtown areas. I'd rather see 20-30 midrise/highrise buildings in LA built than 4 or 5 skyscrapers... wouldn't you?

That's what is happening on the Delaware Waterfront in Philadelphia... the City put a 100 foot height limit on the waterfront and it is spreading development outward instead of upward filling up more empty space instead of concentrating it all in one spot.
Oh hell yes! Kill those parking lots. I think LA learned a lot from the Bunker Hill redevelopment and really regrets losing one of its best urban neighborhoods.

That's a good point about the 30-40 story buildings being taller than they used to be. I haven't lived in LA all that long but the last really tall high-rise that was built was that Marriot building next to Staples. It's 667 feet and 52 stories according to Wikipedia and was finished in 2010.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:54 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Oh hell yes! Kill those parking lots. I think LA learned a lot from the Bunker Hill redevelopment and really regrets losing one of its best urban neighborhoods.

That's a good point about the 30-40 story buildings being taller than they used to be. I haven't lived in LA all that long but the last really tall high-rise that was built was that Marriot building next to Staples. It's 667 feet and 52 stories according to Wikipedia and was finished in 2010.
Is that the LA Live highrise Hotel? Yeah I remember, that's a good looking building.

But seriously I think building to critical mass is the way to go... there is a lot to be learned from European Cities, especially London. That is something that D.C. is emulating and now that is something that Philadelphia is emulating along the waterfront and in other areas of the city... there is a height limit in Most parts of Philadelphia everywhere except for Center City and University City I believe.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:50 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Here is a pic of each city from a certain angle. Strangely the scenery from both cities look very similar in these two pics.

Los Angeles

Philadelphia
Love the LA shot. From the Civic Center to Southpark, but still doesn't give the complete view. LALive/Ritz Carlton tower is missing.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:36 PM

178 posts, read 419,158 times
It depends, both these skylines are indefinetely in my top 3

Old 09-25-2012, 01:53 AM

93 posts, read 158,193 times
Click this out
Downtown LA-Eastside

Last edited by MeridianX; 09-25-2012 at 02:05 AM..

Old 06-10-2014, 10:16 AM

261 posts, read 266,495 times
philly has the better authentic skyline and more density.. I have philly at #5 in usa after nyc, Chicago, sf, and seattle

Old 06-10-2014, 11:05 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeridianX View Post
Click this out
Downtown LA-Eastside
This is actually facing towards Westlake and Koreatown. Pretty hard to tell it is so smoggy! It's not usually that bad in LA most days - for some reason I recall the day the Endeavour flew around being pretty clear...

Old 06-10-2014, 11:55 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,251 times
philly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City