Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 04:57 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,582,338 times

Advertisements

I was actually going to mention Austin. It developed pretty well and I think the new skyline is original and looks great. It's not too much, you know?

I don't think any city in the US can compete with Dubai. I guess Miami definitely added but Dubai is really on steroids!

Old 11-18-2009, 05:02 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
I was actually going to mention Austin. It developed pretty well and I think the new skyline is original and looks great. It's not too much, you know?

I don't think any city in the US can compete with Dubai. I guess Miami definitely added but Dubai is really on steroids!
That's very true for last three years, but it want be for the next three. Dubai has hit a crippling real estate crash.

YouTube - Dubai Real Estate Crash. Lindsey Williams was Right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-18-2009, 05:06 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Dubai, Miami, and... Charlotte? Come on. I know Charlotte is going through a construction boom but comparing it to Dubai and Miami is a bit of a stretch.
I don't think that person was comparing Charlotte's boom with Miami's and Dubai's. If anything, it looks like they listed the cities in order according to the degree of the "boom" they experienced: Charlotte, then Miami, then Dubai. Sounds about right.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:09 PM

I am really not surprised. Just because a city is building like crazy does not mean it's a good idea. I think Dubai is going insane and catering to the rich. There are so many other issues that are yet to be resolved in most cities, I am sure Dubai has not solved all of them.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I don't think that person was comparing Charlotte's boom with Miami's and Dubai's. If anything, it looks like they listed the cities in order according to the degree of the "boom" they experienced: Charlotte, then Miami, then Dubai. Sounds about right.
If your talking to about the US, then yes. Charlotte would be up there, but if your talking an international level, Charlotte falls behind Dubai (as has been mentioned), tons of Chinese cities, Indian cities, other Asian cities, European cities, and Latin American cities. It is no where near the top if your talking an international level. Even in American boom history, it doesn't compare to construction places like Houston, LA, Dallas, and Atlanta experienced in the 80's and 90's. Charlotte is going through a construction boom. No doubt about that, but lets be realistic.

To be honest, sometimes it seems like the growth in Charlotte is a bit over exaggerated on CD. BUT, I don't mean to imply that it doesn't deserve to be mentioned on this thread. Relative to its size and the rest of the country, it has gone through a ton of growth and skyscraper construction over the past three years.

Last edited by wpmeads; 11-18-2009 at 05:31 PM..

Old 11-18-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
I am really not surprised. Just because a city is building like crazy does not mean it's a good idea. I think Dubai is going insane and catering to the rich. There are so many other issues that are yet to be resolved in most cities, I am sure Dubai has not solved all of them.
Yep. I think a lot of people saw this coming from a mile away. There's not enough stability on many different levels in UAE to sustain that kind of growth without imploding on itself.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
If your talking to about the US, then yes. Charlotte would be up there, but if your talking an international level, Charlotte falls behind Dubai (as has been mentioned), tones of Chinese cities, Indian cities, other Asian cities, European cities, and Latin American cities. It is no where near the top if your talking an international level. Even in American boom history, it doesn't compare to construction places like Houston, LA, Dallas, and Atlanta experience in the 80's and 90's. Charlotte is going through a construction boom. No doubt about that, but lets be realistic.

To be honest, sometimes it seems like the growth in Charlotte is a bit over exaggerated on CD. BUT, I don't mean to imply that it doesn't deserve to be mentioned on this thread. Relative to its size and the rest of the country, it has gone through experienced a ton of growth and skyscraper construction over the past three years.
Your gonna get it now!lol

*goes and hides*

But really you're right about how China and Indian cities building like crazy. I mean these countries are making cities overnight! It's insane, and some of them look pretty good too. I just think that they want to make this perfect utopia and they sort of ignore the fact that even Dubai will have the problems that other cities have. It's not all about catering to only the wealthy.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:36 PM

321 posts, read 720,858 times
An artists rendition of the Trans National Place in Boston designed by Renzo Piano to be over 1000 ft- though the FAA has blocked its height, it may be built around 800 ft-

Heres an artist rendition of the South Station Tower in Boston , which has been approved, to be built above the existing south station. The 621 ft building is specifically designed to limit shadows, and will be transit centered:

Old 11-18-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Your gonna get it now!lol

*goes and hides*
lol! Maybe so.

Quote:
But really you're right about how China and Indian cities building like crazy. I mean these countries are making cities overnight! It's insane, and some of them look pretty good too. I just think that they want to make this perfect utopia and they sort of ignore the fact that even Dubai will have the problems that other cities have. It's not all about catering to only the wealthy.
Differences between Dubai and places like China and India is that China and India are building based on demand and Dubai was building based on capital surplus. Surplus is great, but can cause a lot of problems if it isn't spent unwisely. Dubai should have spent more money on correcting major problems in their own city rather than creating a billionaire's phony yuppie paradise. In other words, if you read up on Dubai, the city has some really bad problems once you look past the construction boom.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:48 PM

321 posts, read 720,858 times
Quote:
lol! Maybe so.

Differences between Dubai and places like China and India is that China and India are building based on demand and Dubai was building based on capital surplus. Surplus is great, but can cause a lot of problems if it isn't spent unwisely. Dubai should have spent more money on correcting major problems in their own city rather than creating a phony billionaires yuppie paradise. In other words, if you read up on Dubai, the city has some really bad problems once you look past the construction boom.
The UAE is one of the worst world governments regarding human rights. Asise from some emirates still having slaves (most from somalia), the cityof Dubai has 200,000 day laborers who make less than 1 American dollar. Its an oligarchy with absolutely no chance of upward mobility unless some in born into an emirate, and there is next to no social welfare. It is a terrible, terrible place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City