Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
San Diego 121 66.85%
Dallas 60 33.15%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 03:51 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,768,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Honestly I have yet to meet someone in the city of Dallas with a country accent. Same goes with Houston. Fort Worth, Austin, and San Antonio are different stories.
People think that all Texans have accents. When I go out of state people are surprised that I don't have an country accent!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 04:01 PM

25 posts, read 56,336 times
These cities really are not comparable. I've been to both places several times for biz travel--San Diego is a world class city, Dallas is not even the best city in Texas (Austin wins that prize). Although to be fair, Dallas is not bad. It has a better local economy than S.D., pretty good restaurants, tons of beautiful women, and has good weather September through May. San Diego has unbelievable beaches, perfect weather, a short drive to the mountains or L.A. and one of the best bar/restaurant districts in the country in the Gaslamp district. In addition, the people are quite friendly and there are endless tourist attractions.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:05 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,765,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
You have to look no further than the U.S. census to tell which area is more attractive. San Diego should not be winning this thread. Dallas-Fort Worth is a bigger metro and offers way more than San Diego. Dallas haters get over yourself!!!!
Seriously dude, stop it.

Just because someone likes another city more than Dallas doesnt mean they hate it. Also dont try and drum up respect as youll just **** people off doing that and it comes across as arogant (which is a sterotype some people have of Texans). Dallas is an amazing city. You also have to understand that there are people who dont like Dallas. That their choice.

I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that the reason people flock to cities like Dallas, Houston, and Phoenix (for example) is the cheap cost of housing and the good economies (relatively). California is suffering right now and probably will be for the foreseeable future because of the crazy debt theyve racked up. The economy suffers out there too. Its one of the reasons I live in Dallas now instead of California which is my home state.

Reguarding that African Americans are leaving California, statistically thats true. Texas is a place that African Americans from California seem to favor. As for whats relevent to this thread, the DFW metroplex did just pass the San Diego MSA for more foreign born Asians (by numeric growth). Easy to believe since DFW has one of the fastest growing Asian populations in the US (particularly Koreans and Vietnamese). Dallas always had more African Americans.

Dallas is a wonderful place to live. So is San Diego. The economy is better in Dallas and people can afford alot more with their money. The OP referenced DFW airport as a very positive thing and I couldnt agree more. I travel so much for work and DFW does have nonstop flight to just about everywhere. I flew from DFW to Seoul, South Korea on Korean Air nonstop 2 weeks ago. Both have lots to do. Funny thing as (as Ive said before), from a night life prespective, Dallas and San Diego remind me alot of each other.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:06 PM

5 posts, read 8,972 times
San Diego

Old 07-21-2009, 05:14 PM

222 posts, read 581,572 times
Ok, let me start. First of all I have some issues with Dallas, so may be it is personal, and I'm wrong.
I lived in Dallas, Phoenix and Orange (Orange County) which is somewhat as San Diego.

Negative:
1. Dallas: a lot of poor people (mostly Afro-Americans) in downtown area, they constantly beg for money, and make you feel unsafe.
Climate: hot at summer, cold at winter (could be snow).
House prices: low except downtown.
Very boring city, no mountains, absolutely nothing to do except going into bars or Dallas Stars/Cowboys game.
You may go to hills of Oklahoma (3 hr drive) but it is lame.
Job market is good.
2. Phoenix: a lot of poor people on the East (mostly Latino), there is some what Afro-American district to the south from Airport, but other neighborhoods are fine.
Climate: hot at summer.
House prices: average except Scottsdale.
A lot of mountains inside the city, a lot of cooler areas to the North for hiking/camping, skiing at winter.
Add Mexico (NoGales and Gulf of California in Rocky Point - 5 hr drive).
Job market is good-ok.
3. San Diego: there are some Latino parts, but mostly it is very safe place.
Climate: perfect.
House prices: highest in the US.
A lot of mountains inside the city, a lot of cooler areas to the North for hiking/camping, skiing at winter.
Add beautiful ocean and beaches. Add Mexico (Tijuana).
Job market is usually excellent, and salaries are high, but suck today. Still house/salary ratio is higher then in Dallas or Phoenix.

So I choose Phoenix only because it is similar to California but better House-price/Salary ratio. Dallas is absolutely suck.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:27 PM

2 posts, read 4,668 times
San Diego is the most white bread city ever, there's no diversity just white people and a bunch of illegal mexicans. I find san Diego to be very boring and stupid. The beaches are lame the food sucks there downtown is a over gloryfied tourist trap that only catters to fat white tourist. San diego just sucks no culture no excitement no anything the hole place always gets praised as the best place ever with great weather. The weather not even that great.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:30 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,832,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norpeal View Post
San Diego is the most white bread city ever, there's no diversity just white people and a bunch of illegal mexicans. I find san Diego to be very boring and stupid. The beaches are lame the food sucks there downtown is a over gloryfied tourist trap that only catters to fat white tourist. San diego just sucks no culture no excitement no anything the hole place always gets praised as the best place ever with great weather. The weather not even that great.
What are you talking about?

Old 07-21-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.leviman View Post

Negative:
1. Dallas: a lot of poor people (mostly Afro-Americans) in downtown area, they constantly beg for money, and make you feel unsafe.
Climate: hot at summer, cold at winter (could be snow).
House prices: low except downtown.
Very boring city, no mountains, absolutely nothing to do except going into bars or Dallas Stars/Cowboys game.
You may go to hills of Oklahoma (3 hr drive) but it is lame.
Job market is good.
As far as night life is concerned, I can tell you that youre dead wrong. I can tell you for a fact that Dallas has better night life than Phoenix. I have yet to see any place in Phoenix thats like uptown Dallas and Ive spent alot of time there. However, if your talking about outdoor activities, Arizona definately has the edge on Texas. Lots and lots to do outdoors in the Phoenix area.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norpeal View Post
You have to be joking, San Diego is a world class city with lots to do.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:10 PM

4 posts, read 9,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
You have to be joking, San Diego is a world class city with lots to do.
San Diego isn't world class it's just a normal city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City