Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
San Diego 121 66.85%
Dallas 60 33.15%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 06:11 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,925,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
You have to be joking, San Diego is a world class city with lots to do.
Don't feed the trolls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 06:14 PM

4 posts, read 9,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Don't feed the trolls.
Just because someone dosen't like San Diego their trolls? Didn't you say that you that not everyone has to like a certain city?

Old 07-21-2009, 06:50 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,348,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Ditto that for me too. The only time I've ever missed a connecting flight and had to spend an unnecessary night in a place was in Dallas, when my arriving flight sat on the runway for almost an hour waiting to go to the gate. To be fair, it's not one of my LEAST favorite US cities, but it certainly isn't close to being one of my favorites either.

Generally speaking I would pick San Diego by far. If it was later in my career. However, if it were early in my career, I'd pick Dallas because of the lower cost of living. I'd rather have to live in Dallas the first half of my career and then be able to comfortably afford San Diego later with extra change in my pocket than to squeeze into San Diego's high cost of living and end up with no money by the time the second half of my career rolls around, let alone retirement. There's no place on earth that's worth sacrificing my financial future, even one of my favorite US cities. But as far as "rather" it's San Diego easily.
I have also had the distinction of spending unnecessary time in Dallas...most recently, the entire night at DFW....while the nightime crew was pleasant...I still didnt want to get to know the airport that intamatley...at least dfw was better than Luv....it does seem like I always get stuck there. And I mean really stuck. For days, unless I want to rent a car....which I did, or I would not be home right now...

Old 07-21-2009, 06:52 PM

867 posts, read 2,141,323 times
Dallas SoCal has too many problems and the smog would make me miss the stars

Old 07-22-2009, 07:46 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,972,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04JETTA View Post
I think you're talking about LA. San Diego does have the marine layer, which typically dissipates by afternoon.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:09 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,268,936 times
Dallas is too hot! Never need AC in SD.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:10 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,268,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04JETTA View Post
What are the problems?

Old 07-22-2009, 12:40 PM

804 posts, read 2,403,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
I think you're talking about LA. San Diego does have the marine layer, which typically dissipates by afternoon.
LA has the same marine layer thing with a light layer of clouds comining in during the night that also dissipates in the afternoon yet people like you just call it smog because you dislike LA with ever fiber in your body.

Anyway I choose San Diego

Better weather, landscape and pretty much everything else.

Last edited by Hollywood Inquirer; 07-22-2009 at 12:58 PM..

Old 07-22-2009, 01:52 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,112,274 times
San Diego: A great city in which to get your car stolen

Old 07-22-2009, 02:05 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,181,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.leviman View Post
Ok, let me start. First of all I have some issues with Dallas, so may be it is personal, and I'm wrong.
I lived in Dallas, Phoenix and Orange (Orange County) which is somewhat as San Diego.

Negative:
1. Dallas: a lot of poor people (mostly Afro-Americans) in downtown area, they constantly beg for money, and make you feel unsafe.
Climate: hot at summer, cold at winter (could be snow).
House prices: low except downtown.
Very boring city, no mountains, absolutely nothing to do except going into bars or Dallas Stars/Cowboys game.
You may go to hills of Oklahoma (3 hr drive) but it is lame.
Job market is good.
2. Phoenix: a lot of poor people on the East (mostly Latino), there is some what Afro-American district to the south from Airport, but other neighborhoods are fine.
Climate: hot at summer.
House prices: average except Scottsdale.
A lot of mountains inside the city, a lot of cooler areas to the North for hiking/camping, skiing at winter.
Add Mexico (NoGales and Gulf of California in Rocky Point - 5 hr drive).
Job market is good-ok.
3. San Diego: there are some Latino parts, but mostly it is very safe place.
Climate: perfect.
House prices: highest in the US.
A lot of mountains inside the city, a lot of cooler areas to the North for hiking/camping, skiing at winter.
Add beautiful ocean and beaches. Add Mexico (Tijuana).
Job market is usually excellent, and salaries are high, but suck today. Still house/salary ratio is higher then in Dallas or Phoenix.

So I choose Phoenix only because it is similar to California but better House-price/Salary ratio. Dallas is absolutely suck.
Does this strike anyone else as just a bit racist? Phoenix seems pretty dead at night (especially downtown). Dallas has a scene downtown plus seven or eight great nightlife areas within a mile or two of downtown. Dallas doesn't really get snow...maybe a dusting once a year - poster is not that familiar with the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City