Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 02:09 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times

Advertisements

Can't forget about Scarface "say hello to my little friend!" lol love that movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 02:22 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Miami may be southern, but I hardly see southerners defend it in the other threads the same way they defend Houston or ATL. Houstonians and Atlantans will band together, but for Miami it's different. Alot of southerners on here WILL say Miami is southern. And I somewhat agree, but at the same time Miami SOMETIMES dosen't get the same respect as ATL or H-Town. Like Southerners and other people are always quick to point out the cities negetives, and quick to say how it really isn't diverse. It's like Miami is Southern only when it's convenient to some southerners. But put it up against H-town, ATL or Dallas it'll loose everytime. Sometimes Miami isn't even counted. I can't remeber what thread it was, but I remeber seeing a bunch of people saying negetive things about the city, then I saw a couple of southerners join in a little. If it were say H-TOWN or ATL, those cities would've been defended to the death. Which is good, but at the same time Miami dosen't get that same respect for a supposedly "southern" city. It's like when SOME Southerners on C-D have to choose ONE major Southern city to throw under the bus, 9 out of 10 it ends up being Miami. It's like Miami is some southern scapegoat. Who knows why?
There's a reason for this. It's because Miami doesn't have a large presence outside of the Miami board on this forum. If it did, Miami would not be spoken so negatively as a Southern city. If you visit other boards besides this that's not related to living or skyscrapers, Miami is defended to the death. When you do have these Miami vs Atlanta or Houston or Dallas or Charlotte polls, you will have some Miamians BASH Miami at the beginning of the thread and it all goes down hill from there. Then you have some people from the Northeast bash all things Florida.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:25 PM

Yeah, these polls aren't always accurate because there are some cities that have clusters of people on here and some cities only have a couple of people to represent. So ofcourse the people who are from that 1 city are always going to vote for that 1 city to make it look like a landslide.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:30 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Yeah, these polls aren't always accurate because there are some cities that have clusters of people on here and some cities only have a couple of people to represent. So ofcourse the people who are from that 1 city are always going to vote for that 1 city to make it look like a landslide.
I have particularly noticed that Los Angeles, Houston, Miami, Dallas, San Antonio, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Dallas, Atlanta, Orlando, Tampa, New Orleans, and Jacksonville get ragged on VERY much on the General US and City vs. City forums by Northeasterners and West Coasters.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I have particularly noticed that Los Angeles, Houston, Miami, Dallas, San Antonio, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Dallas, Atlanta, Orlando, Tampa, New Orleans, and Jacksonville get ragged on VERY much on the General US and City vs. City forums by Northeasterners and West Coasters.
Well me personally, I'm from the northeast but I also spend time in Florida, so I try to backup Miami as well as New York as much as I can without being totally bias. I have noticed though that out of all of those cities LA and Miami seem to get hated on the most, those 2 are always getting bashed. Houston doesn't get much love either, and to be totally honest, I think Atlanta gets TOO much love...damn I sound like a hater lol but I'm being honest.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Well me personally, I'm from the northeast but I also spend time in Florida, so I try to backup Miami as well as New York as much as I can without being totally bias. I have noticed though that out of all of those cities LA and Miami seem to get hated on the most, those 2 are always getting bashed. Houston doesn't get much love either, and to be totally honest, I think Atlanta gets TOO much love...damn I sound like a hater lol but I'm being honest.
No, I rarely ever see anyone from the Northeast comment on other cities outside of their region besides San Francisco, Seattle, or Portland. Which is why I think Atlanta gets hated on a lot too.

Even Chicago gets disrespected here on CD. It's truly sad.

Yeahh Los Angeles, Miami and Orlando seems to be everyones scape goat, where all the blame goes... Detroit gets ZERO credibility and same for Cleveland.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
No, I rarely ever see anyone from the Northeast comment on other cities outside of their region besides San Francisco, Seattle, or Portland. Which is why I think Atlanta gets hated on a lot too.

Yeahh Los Angeles, Miami and Orlando seems to be everyones scape goat, where all the blame goes... Detroit gets ZERO credibility and same for Cleveland.
A lot of people on here make generalizations and live off of stereotypes, making comments without even visiting the city first.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:10 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:

Because they're fun Sunbelt cities. And C-D is a HAVEN for haters of popular, fun, vacation destinated(if that's a word) Sunbelt cities.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Because they're fun Sunbelt cities. And C-D is a HAVEN for haters of popular, fun, vacation destinated(if that's a word) Sunbelt cities.
I really think a lot of it has to do with jealousy now. Like okay, we all know NYC is superior, no question asked, but some posters just go around praising it, as if god himself told them to live there because it's heaven and everything else is unworthy... that mentality really ticks me off at times.

Like, is it because job markets are growing in the Sunbelt? The population growth? I have no idea, but something really ticks them off about our region...

Which is why i think Media exposure to the south is VERY limited... The only method of media I ever see Houston involved with would be the internet. Not in magazines, news papers, news channels, radio channels, or anything else..

No offense to anyone from NE, just stating my opinion.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:53 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,840,814 times
Quote:
You think Atlanta gets Love.. Please lol Got to the Atlanta forum every week someone is creating a negative thread. even on City vs City
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City