Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 05:24 PM

411 posts, read 1,165,418 times

Advertisements

I am not a small town person, I love dense urban cities. But after viewing many threads on city-data, I realize that many people who live in small towns or spread out big cities believe that those of you live in dense urban places think that small towns and suburbs are inferior to a big urban city. Do you feel like big densely populated cities are actually better than everything else, or do you just prefer busy urban places? I prefer places like NYC, but I can see why people would like the suburbs or small rural towns. Please be honest and unbiased. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 05:30 PM

226 posts, read 646,218 times
No, I was born in a small town. Lived in big cities, and now have returned to this small town of my roots, and will more than likely move back to the big city but will always return here. Nothing wrong with it, I find people here a little more laid back and relaxed, but not so much backwards or inferior. Most people here are just like people in the city, with a little more compassion. It's like a giant extended family.

We listen to the same music. There are Gays here, straights, blacks here, whites. There are Indians, Mexicans, and all that. Most prejudices are kept in small random excluded pockets, just like in the city. (and I live in the upper south of Southern Ililnois). I do agree though that the smaller the town, the deeper the economic problems, and the deeper the biases and stereotypes, but It's tolerable. Cities have just as many issues as small towns, it's just on a macro level. Those who look down on us smalltowners should take a look in the mirror at themselves, because in the end we are all human.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:31 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,708 times
They both have their pros and cons, it's just that a lot of people tend to think smaller towns are too simple or even backwards to an extent. I used to not be able to stand the thought of living in a town where everyone knows everything about you but as I get older I've found out that not all small towns are the same.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:32 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
I don't have anything against small walkable towns, but I do dislike sprawl subdivision communities and the such.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:35 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,988,088 times
I love small towns, so full of Family.
Everytime I go back, I see family all over the place.
It used to be family reunion at Wal-Mart.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:42 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
I honestly don't believe that most people on C-D live in big dense urban cities because a lot of the members bash cities because of crime when it's not all that serious unless it's compared to a small town.

But i do prefer a diverse dense city over towns with a bunch of big houses with big yards.
Though i do not feel like anything is superior over one or the other because a lot of urban dwellers who someday become rice and successful head for the small town wealthy burbs.

Living in a bigger city over a small town does give a person more of a character though, but nothing superior.. The people who do act superior are just arrogant close minded low life's who bear more pride than they can hold.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:13 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Smaller towns and cities have much to offer and are not necessarily, inferior to large cities.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:24 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
As simplistic as it sounds, more people live in big, dense cities, so it makes sense that the general population will have a natural preference for them. You really can't blame someone for sticking to what they know. I know small-town people that are just as vehemently opposed to big cities as city dwellers are to small towns. Growing up in a mid-sized city, I feel at home in both environments, so I think I see where both sides are coming from. Just because many people are blind to the benefits of living in a certain place doesn't mean they aren't there. Just be happy that there are fewer people that you have to share the beauty of small town living with. To me, that makes it so much sweter.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:37 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Both are cool. For now, I want to be in the big city...but when I'm older, I'll probably want to live somewhere quieter.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:51 PM

226 posts, read 646,218 times
the only thing that scares me about a small town, is the distance I have to drive to a hospital in a medical emergency or a fire emergency. Aneurysms/heart attacks/strokes/ and embolisms usually= death without proper care around these parts. The nearest hospital with minimal care is 25 minutes away and the nearest cardiac center is 45 minutes away. The fire station in this town is not really equipt to rescue someone out of a burning building either. They would have to send in backup from 7 miles away.

If I still live here when I get 50+ years old Im getting an implantable difribbilator just for general purposes. People in my family usually die from cardiac problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City