Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Metro area would you prefer to live in?
Atlanta Metro 25 26.88%
Houston Metro 22 23.66%
Seattle Metro 46 49.46%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 09:56 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,489,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
I guess the cruise ship terminals are just an illusion.
You mean the cruise ships that are leaving Seattle and headed up the inside passage to Alaska? You mean those cruise ships?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
It almost sounds as if you have some sort of personal vendetta against Seattle...or maybe you are just upset because Houston is coming in last...?
I'm sure he, like many other Houstonians couldn't care less what you (and especially the vice-grandame of Levittown) personally think about Houston. I think for most of us, it really just boils down to weather. If 9 months of gray skies is what you like, then great, it sounds like you've found a perfect fit for yourself. A handful of sunny days just isn't enough for people like myself. And stop with the whole, "But it's sunny in the summer." So what? What about the rest of the year? There are nine miserable months of wet, drizzly, gray climatalogical lethargy. It sounds to me you're the one with something to prove, constantly trying to convince us your city is something it's not. Seattle isn't for everyone, man. No worries though. It's a pretty place in its own right. It's in a lovely setting. And, it's the best possible place for YOU. Isn't that what really matters?

Old 08-13-2009, 09:58 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
Why do people describe it as "miserable" months of gray and rain? Makes no sense. Like I said, a LOT of people like that. Why else is the population of Seattle that high? You think all those people hate that weather? lol

Old 08-13-2009, 10:00 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times
Quote:
...or maybe you are just upset because Houston is coming in last...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Yeah, they tend to do that when Houston loses a poll, which seems to be pretty often.
Who cares? There's another poll on here that's similar and has Denver coming in last. However, in a recent national poll (that was done more scientifically... not something on city-data which I think we all know seems to have a bias against sunbelt cities), Denver came in first of cities people preferred to move to if given a choice.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:02 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
No, the difference is that Houston has an inferiority complex.
There goes that darn word again. But some of the places Houston loses to, aren't superior to Houston.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:03 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,489,117 times
Quote:
Why do people describe it as "miserable" months of gray and rain? Makes no sense. Like I said, a LOT of people like that. Why else is the population of Seattle that high? You think all those people hate that weather? lol
I don't know, Rachael. Why do you always use biased and charged words? It's pretty much human nature to describe what they feel in words that best express those feelings. Should I use the word pleasant when I mean miserable? So, to make this point clear for all the LCDs: to me, endless months of gray skies are miserable.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:03 AM

I still like Seattle though.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:04 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times
Quote:
One could argue the same for Texas, which many describe as miserably hot among all kinds of other negatives... yet it has 3 of the nation's top 10 largest cities and still growing.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
One could argue the same for Texas, which many describe as miserably hot among all kinds of other negatives... yet it has 3 of the nation's top 10 largest cities and still growing.
I agree, people always like to describe hot weather as miserable, but when you say cold or rain is miserable, they call you out on it. As if EVERYONE likes cold weather.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:27 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
Then I guess we can agree that what one person finds miserable, another will find pleasant. Why don't we just leave out the word miserable when talking about weather? lol

Old 08-13-2009, 10:31 AM

492 posts, read 1,149,495 times
Quote:
It almost sounds as if you have some sort of personal vendetta against Seattle...or maybe you are just upset because Houston is coming in last...?
Not really, I don't have a vendetta against Seattle, plus those numbers don't really mean much. IMHO it seems that you guys seem to take things to seriously, relax this whole thing is just a play. I don't remember who said that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City