Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Metro area would you prefer to live in?
Atlanta Metro 25 26.88%
Houston Metro 22 23.66%
Seattle Metro 46 49.46%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 12:51 PM

763 posts, read 1,298,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
No, you're purposely trying to egg people on to start arguments. I can see it right through you. Why don't you just put me on ignore if I bother you that much?
It is the other way around. You have never even been to these places and purposefully say incindiery things to start these arguments. Everybody can see this and many people have called you on it.

All you have to say is which metro you think you would like more instead of such and such place has a huge inferiority complex.

Example: I prefer Houston because of the great economy, culture and wonderful people. Atlanta is a close 2nd because it is further from the beach. I like Seattle as well but it is a little too rainy

See how easy it is?

Old 08-13-2009, 12:53 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I know how hypersensitive Houstonians get at even the slightest criticism of their fair city. I say let people think what they want, isn't it crowded enough there already? Think how much more popular Houston would be if the city actually had a "hip" or "cooler" reputation. It's not my cup of tea, but it's a low-cost city with great job opportunities, AWESOME Arts scene and a great restaurant scene and there is nothing to be ashamed of in that.
I don't think most Houstonians are that hypersensitive but I can tell you many feel the city is mostly unrecognized for its positives and overly criticized on its negatives. Just look at stories in the news, media and even things that come out of other Texan's mouths. This has been going on for so long, that it's caused a bit of a backlash. It's a misundertstood and underrated city IMO, and I think much of the defensiveness comes from that. Houston boosters speak up because they genuinely feel that what some detractors are saying is just not accurate. This is not the same as an inferiority complex... that excuse gets so tired on here. However, with what you just said about the restaurant scene and arts scene, you seem to get it. Unfortunately, many do not and so Houstonians will rightfully get defensive when the city is put down, brushed-off based on geographic location alone and talked about like the positives simply don't exist.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:57 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverestClimb View Post
It is the other way around. You have never even been to these places and purposefully say incindiery things to start these arguments.
Exactly. The "inferiority complex" and "hick" comments... are those accusations not going to get people "egged" on?

Some people may think it's humorous, but it's actually unconstructive... and that's what's gotten a lot of these threads locked and shut down.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:58 PM

763 posts, read 1,298,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Exactly. The "inferiority complex" and "hick" comments... are those accusations not going to get people "egged" on?

Some people may think it's humorous, but it's actually unconstructive... and that's what's gotten a lot of these threads locked and shut down.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:10 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I was fine with your whole thing you threw that in. Also, were obviously popular enough since we rank constantly in the top 5 for the fastest growing area in the country.

A bit sensitive, eh ? Oh well. I'd say that Houstonians sensitivity and defensiveness to people unfairly bashing them is understandable. I lived in Mississippi for 9 years, and even though I didn't like it there, listening to people bash the state, particularly ones who had NEVER been there constantly bash the place did get really tiresome and annoying. Besides, I like the "underdog" in a fight, and at least Houstonians give a d*amn what people think of them. In contrast, some Dallasites strike me as too arrogant to care what happens beyond the LBJ freeway.

Complacency and stagnation and raving about past glories can kill a city. Houston has always had its eye on the future, and went from being a backwater swamp to the 4th largest city in less than 100 years with boosterism and a can-do attitude.

And I wasn't disputing the popularity or growth of Metro Houston. If it sucked as much as *some* people claim it does, then why is it so popular? Obviously, the positive attributes of Houston outweigh whatever perceived negative attributes there are of the city. If you read further on instead of getting so offended, you would've noticed that I listed the positive aspects of the city.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:34 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
A bit sensitive, eh ? Oh well. I'd say that Houstonians sensitivity and defensiveness to people unfairly bashing them is understandable. I lived in Mississippi for 9 years, and even though I didn't like it there, listening to people bash the state, particularly ones who had NEVER been there constantly bash the place did get really tiresome and annoying. Besides, I like the "underdog" in a fight, and at least Houstonians give a d*amn what people think of them. In contrast, some Dallasites strike me as too arrogant to care what happens beyond the LBJ freeway.

Complacency and stagnation and raving about past glories can kill a city. Houston has always had its eye on the future, and went from being a backwater swamp to the 4th largest city in less than 100 years with boosterism and a can-do attitude.

And I wasn't disputing the popularity or growth of Metro Houston. If it sucked as much as *some* people claim it does, then why is it so popular? Obviously, the positive attributes of Houston outweigh whatever perceived negative attributes there are of the city. If you read further on instead of getting so offended, you would've noticed that I listed the positive aspects of the city.
I did read what you put and I never said you were bashing Houston.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:41 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I did read what you put and I never said you were bashing Houston.
Okay, just checking.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:03 PM

113 posts, read 249,905 times
people do bash houston alot.people always say bad things about us but they really dont understand how bad they need us even through this tough economic time. Many people dont relize how great of a city hoston is...people just continue to treat us like trash and just kick us to the side, but pick us back up when they need something.To all the people that havent been to houston...dont even try to say you dont like it because what everybody else says in these post...how about you go experience houston and see what a good time you will have...

Old 08-13-2009, 02:24 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,230 times
I think most people get at least a little defensive about stereotypes/unfair characterizations of their cities. When people discuss Seattle, the topic of the conversation is almost exclusively "doesn't it rain there every day lol??". It just gets a little old when one aspect of the city (climate) spawns so many dismissive, condescending remarks. I can see why Houstonians would be the same way, or really anyone that takes a little pride in where they live.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:44 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,490,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
I think most people get at least a little defensive about stereotypes/unfair characterizations of their cities. When people discuss Seattle, the topic of the conversation is almost exclusively "doesn't it rain there every day lol??". It just gets a little old when one aspect of the city (climate) spawns so many dismissive, condescending remarks. I can see why Houstonians would be the same way, or really anyone that takes a little pride in where they live.
There's this great O Henry story (I wish I could remember the name) that sorta touches on this subject. It's in the Four Million if anyone's interested in reading it. Anyhow, it's about this guy, a braggart who's seen the world, and claims world citizenship. He's so well travelled, he says people who adhere to a single location like it's family are basically idiots. Shortly after, someone insults the traveler's hometown, the town where he was raised, and naturally a fight ensues. That's the way us Houstonians are, even the ones like myself who've traveled and even lived elsewhere. We're on a hair-trigger too. We're so accustomed to having to defend our fair city from unbased, untruthful attacks that if someone so much as looks at Houston with a sideways glance, we'll bare our teeth and pull out our claws.

Edit: Here it is, A Cosmopolite in a Cafe: http://henry.thefreelibrary.com/The-Four-Million/3-1

Last edited by TexasTheKid; 08-13-2009 at 02:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City