Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 09:31 PM

353 posts, read 816,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
I made a list similar to this one quite some time ago. I generally consider it accurate as a rule of thumb.

In order of most loved to most hated:

Northeast
Loved: New York, Boston, Washington, Pittsburgh
Neutral: Buffalo
Hated: Philadelphia, Baltimore

Midwest
Loved: Chicago, Minneapolis, St. Paul
Neutral: Milwaukee, St. Louis
Hated: Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Detroit

West:
Loved: Portland, Denver, Seattle, San Francisco
Neutral: San Diego, Sacramento
Hated: Salt Lake City, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Phoenix

South
Loved: None
Neutral: Austin
Hated: Louisville, New Orleans, Richmond, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Tampa, Orlando, Miami, Atlanta, Nashville, Charlotte, Memphis, Oklahoma City, Jacksonville
Great list!!!!! ha no one likes the south, I think it's true!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 09:38 PM

763 posts, read 1,298,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native17 View Post
On this site, but not in real life. In real life it is the other way around. People vote with their feet

Old 08-09-2009, 09:46 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native17 View Post
Charleston and Savannah do seem to be the exceptions to that on C-D.
I think plenty of people like the South, actually.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:48 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,911 times
Lol, look how many cities are hated on in the South compared to the other regions. There is a fervent anti-Sunbelt bias on this forum, and also an anti-Midwest bias to a lesser extent.

And people do like the South...just not on here. I just think that the General U.S. forum in particular attracts a certain niche of people that prefer certain demographics one way versus others, such as liberal > conservative, dense > spread out, unique > homogenous, etc.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:48 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,533 times
Quote:
For all you people who say that Chicago is a "hated" city, you must be on a different forum. It's ass is kissed all the time here.
I know. It may get picked on a little bit for simply being in the midwest but other than that it gets praised for diversity, nightlife, skyline, and downtown. And it recently beat darlings San Francisco and Seattle in polls.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:55 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,034,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Charleston and Savannah do seem to be the exceptions to that on C-D.
I think plenty of people like the South, actually.
I was just about to say the same thing. Charleston seems to be loved by all, Savannah not so much. I also don't think Charlotte or Raleigh are hated on as much. Not sure about New Orleans, maybe somewhere in the middle, but not hated on as much as Atlanta, Miami, Dallas, and Houston (the big 4 cities in the South).

Old 08-09-2009, 09:56 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,533 times
Quote:
I made a list similar to this one quite some time ago. I generally consider it accurate as a rule of thumb.

In order of most loved to most hated:

Northeast
Loved: New York, Boston, Washington, Pittsburgh
Neutral: Buffalo
Hated: Philadelphia, Baltimore

Midwest
Loved: Chicago, Minneapolis, St. Paul
Neutral: Milwaukee, St. Louis
Hated: Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Detroit

West:
Loved: Portland, Denver, Seattle, San Francisco
Neutral: San Diego, Sacramento
Hated: Salt Lake City, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Phoenix

South
Loved: None
Neutral: Austin
Hated: Louisville, New Orleans, Richmond, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Tampa, Orlando, Miami, Atlanta, Nashville, Charlotte, Memphis, Oklahoma City, Jacksonville
My version:

West:
Loved: Seattle, San Francisco, San Diego, Santa Fe
(Albuquerque is somewhere between loved and neutral)
Neutral: Portland, Sacramento, Anchorage, Denver (gets praise for skyline and outdoors, but is blasted for being "brown, flat, and ugly")
Hated: Los Angeles, Phoenix, Las Vegas

South:
Loved: Austin, Charleston and Savannah maybe?
Neutral: New Orleans, Charlotte
Hated: Most everything else. Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta are well represented on this site and have support, but they are ridiculed by most others

Midwest:
Loved: Chicago, Milwaukee, Minneapolis
Hated: Detroit
(Don't hear much else about the midwest)

East:
Loved: New York, Boston, Pittsburgh
Neutral: Most other cities
Hated: Other cities in New York, Philadelphia

Old 08-09-2009, 10:00 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,238,625 times
Quote:
For all you people who say that Chicago is a "hated" city, you must be on a different forum. It's ass is kissed all the time here.
Lol, did you ever hear of the Dementor threads?

Old 08-09-2009, 10:03 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,911 times
^^That's one member. I can think of plenty of people on here who bash Southern cities AND on a daily basis, just look at all the threads floating around out there.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:10 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,238,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Although I would agree that Houston, Atlanta, and Dallas do receive a fair amount of bashing, I would contend that there is a very vocal group of people who defend all 3 of those places, whereas places like Phoenix and Miami are hated on by about everyone and no one ever defends them.
Basically I agree with these although I do not think Dallas gets hit as hard as Houston. And you are right no one ever defends Miami, and defenders of Phoenix (and Albuquerque) are rare.

A few people mentioned Charlotte. But I rarely see Charlotte being attacked, except for a few Atlanta posters now and then. In fact I have seen postive reinforcement for Charlotte including people posting some nice pictures of the skyline, forests and hills now and then. I do not pretend to read every thread so maybe I am missing some negative posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City