Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has produced better hip-hop/rap? Bay Area (Oakland, Vallejo, SF, etc) or Houston?
Bay Area (Oakland, Vallejo, SF, etc.) 67 63.81%
Houston 38 36.19%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 10:09 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
^all regions have diff styles but the biggest names out of houston all have similar sounds..
zro, bun b, devin the dude, all these dudes have a similar sound or song content
spice 1, 40, too short, san quinn some of the big name dudes from the bay rap about completely diff sht. then u have del, zion i, souls of mischief and other rappers with just ends of the spectrum differences in their music
btw what is the deal with ppl still cosignin that freak pedophile spm smh

Those people you named from the Bay area aren't even big except for Too Short and 40.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:17 PM

902 posts, read 2,786,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Those people you named from the Bay area aren't even big except for Too Short and 40.
Just because you haven't heard of them or barely heard of them doesn't make them not big. LOL. Spice 1 was a huge name in rap in his hey-day and one of the greatest to ever touch a mic. Although San Quinn isn't huge outside of the Bay Area, he is well known and respected a rap artist amongst hard core followers of the genre. Quinn and Mess Marv dropped one of the greatest underground albums ever (Explosive Mode) and gained much notoriety amongst hip hop heads. ESp lol at spice 1 not being big.

Last edited by gogetta; 03-10-2010 at 10:29 PM..

Old 03-10-2010, 10:44 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,322,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
Just because you haven't heard of them or barely heard of them doesn't make them not big. LOL. Spice 1 was a huge name in rap in his hey-day and one of the greatest to ever touch a mic. Although San Quinn isn't huge outside of the Bay Area, he is well known and respected a rap artist amongst hard core followers of the genre. Quinn and Mess Marv dropped one of the greatest underground albums ever (Explosive Mode) and gained much notoriety amongst hip hop heads. ESp lol at spice 1 not being big.
no no he's absolutely right nobody knows spice 1.. dudes in ny in the early 90s had never heard of him, ever.. and method man/2pac were collaborating with him because hes a nobody.. same with mc eiht, UGK etc. and BIG didn't almost get killed for talking about spice 1 (and 40) either when he was out in sacramento, because spice 1 is a nobody. he isnt on soundtracks like jason's lyric, menace to society either, because he was a nobody.
the other rappers/groups i listed are either more recent or have always been underground.. but that still doesnt mean ppl never heard of them, esp hieroglyphics, who doesnt know hiero they been around since 1947

Old 03-10-2010, 10:53 PM

902 posts, read 2,786,904 times
Quote:
no no he's absolutely right nobody knows spice 1.. dudes in ny in the early 90s had never heard of him, ever.. and method man/2pac were collaborating with him because hes a nobody.. same with mc eiht, UGK etc. and BIG didn't almost get killed for talking about spice 1 (and 40) either when he was out in sacramento, because spice 1 is a nobody. he isnt on soundtracks like jason's lyric, menace to society either, because he was a nobody.
the other rappers/groups i listed are either more recent or have always been underground.. but that still doesnt mean ppl never heard of them, esp hieroglyphics, who doesnt know hiero they been around since 1947
I know about 40 water and the BIG beef, but what was the deal with him and Spice 1? What happened?

Old 03-10-2010, 11:56 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,322,684 times
it was the same incident. Big said somethin like he was rating certain rappers and said spice1 is a 2, and 40 is a zero LOL
next thing he knows hes in sactown gettin pelted with nickels and surrounded by a bunch of hoodlums smh
40 checked his ass real quick.
just further proof of big rappin about sht he was never a part of. how does a "don" get his card pulled like that. all that mafia crap went out the window real quick.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:52 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times
Quote:
AUTOTUNE is the worst thing that has happened to hip hop.
I couldn't agree more!

Quote:
the federation was the only group i can think of doing good music categorized as "hyphy"
especially with rick rock producing for them.. so even if the song content/topics were trash the beats were dope at least
Yeah I couldn't stand 99% of that Hyphy crap when it was hot and I'm glad it died out. But there were a few tracks that were OKAY:

YouTube - It's gettin' hot

YouTube - Mistah F.A.B. - N.E.W. Oakland (Best Quality)

YouTube - Messy Marv & Guce - So Hood

None of it is anything I think is really that great, or even representative of the Bay. But some of it was at least tolerable.

As bad as it was, it got even worse when someone not from here took a stab at it lol:

YouTube - NELLY speaks on the BAY AREA, SPICE-1, E-40, TOO SHORT and performs "BAY" LIVE!

His heart was in the right place, but man that song was unbelievably whack!

I'd much rather listen to some of our better, older stuff:

YouTube - Spice 1 Spice1 Trigga Gots No Heart 1993 Hayward California

YouTube - Too Short feat Rappin 4 Tay & Mc Breed- Never Talk Down

YouTube - The Whoridas - The Dock of the Bay

YouTube - 3X Krazy - Keep It On The Real

YouTube - 11-5 - Brousin' 1995 Frisco SFC G-Funk Killahoe Music

YouTube - Dusted 'N' Disgusted

Last edited by jman650; 03-11-2010 at 01:22 AM..

Old 03-11-2010, 01:04 AM

Quote:
basically early 90s mac dre is the only thing worth listening to. all this gay thizzing /feeling myself/ look at my huge sunglasses and my corny dance crap is wack.
songs like stupid doo doo dumb/ its raining game.. when it seemed he was actually trying to make good songs are what i can listen to.
"thizlamic, thiz iz what it iz, thizz iz how we do it, pill clinton".... gay ass sht.
too short, 40, san quinn, spice 1 >>>>>>mac dre
Yeah I'm not all that big on the vast majority of all his later stuff, but he had some tight sh*t in the 90's. I always dug this one right after he got outta prison:

YouTube - Mac Dre I've Been Down

Old 03-11-2010, 01:08 AM

Quote:
^all regions have diff styles but the biggest names out of houston all have similar sounds..
zro, bun b, devin the dude, all these dudes have a similar sound or song content
spice 1, 40, too short, san quinn some of the big name dudes from the bay rap about completely diff sht. then u have del, zion i, souls of mischief and other rappers with just ends of the spectrum differences in their music
btw what is the deal with ppl still cosignin that freak pedophile spm smh
And you could even take it a step further and throw in Digital Underground, Hammer, Oaktown 3-5-7, Paris, etc. The spectrum in the Bay is pretty wide.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:12 AM

Quote:
LOL I read this right after posting Spice 1's video from the Menace II Society soundtrack. Spice 1 actually is huge just like those two, and so are Heiro. Del and Zion I are huge with the backpacker type hip hop heads, and San Quinn is known from coast to coast, although he is not at all mainstream. Z-Ro and SPM and K-Rino aren't all that well-known outside of TX either, and San Quinn is at least as well-known as they are.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City