Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Do You Prefer?
San Francisco. 264 55.81%
Philadelphia. 158 33.40%
Too close to call. 38 8.03%
I don't like either city. 13 2.75%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 05:57 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,471,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
As a California native I always find it odd that people who live out of the state seem to worry more about earthquakes than actual residents of the state. Anyone seem to notice that too?
I have! And I find it very odd too. It seems that most of those who focus on it are usually doing so to try and bash CA. I don't recall ever meeting anyone who was afraid to move or visit here out of fear of earthquakes. You could count on one hand the number of CA earthquakes that have had any significant destruction in the last 50 years. Can't say the same about hurricanes or tornadoes (or for that matter wildfires).

Old 08-25-2009, 07:48 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,153,795 times
Philly all day long! East Coast feel; better history; better transportation; proximity to DC & NY. Center City is a gem. Philly also feels bigger.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:47 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,517,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
So only Philly is allowed to "blow away" SF here? (Apparently you favor its skyline over SF's?) I hope you're joking here, b/c if you're not that is quite the double-standard.

I don't believe that poster is at all affiliated with SF, so I think you're jumping the gun here. Maybe you created the poll expecting Philly to win and are so disappointed in the results that you're drawing irrational conclusions.

Wow, it really doesn't sit well with you that SF is more desirable to some people, does it? His statement in itself shows that if he could afford it he would pay for the high cost of living since he prefers it here. That's why the cost of living is higher here in the first place, b/c people like it that much. Think about how undesirable Philly would be if it had a higher cost of living, earthquakes, fires and droughts too! It might even become a ghost town.

Maybe b/c to them it is no comparison, kind of like how your bias toward Philly became apparent as the thread progressed, even though your OP was objective. I don't think there has been a whole lot of mud slung unto Philly (aside from one poster), but if you feel that peoples' opinions equate mud slinging, then I suppose you've thrown a little yourself:

I don't see how people saying there's no comparison in their opinion is mud slinging if you're going to sit here and state that Philly has better ethnic food (without supporting that claim), a better skyline (which is absolutely subjective), and a bigger economy (that only is the case if SJ and the rest of the South Bay is removed from the equation) - all of which I fully disagree with. So maybe you should practice what you preach.
We agree to disagree...I changed my tone because I love both cities and gave a fair comparison...even giving San Francisco top billing in title and the poll. I also admitted I was biased toward Philadelphia, at the start.

There was the ghetto comment...but also to say there is no comparison...after I gave a fair analysis, is slinging...IMHO. I am not surprised at the poll...weather etc. is more important to people. I am surprised by the San Francisco comments lacking "tact"...like rubbing in the poll results...again it is just my opinion and my thread. I've even gotten DM's about issues from SF posters...GEESH

Old 08-25-2009, 08:52 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishimm View Post
San Francisco's metro area is typically considered to be the "Bay Area", which has 7.5 million. There is no reason to separate San Francisco and San Jose. They are 40 miles apart and the area between is completely built up. They are undoubtedly part of the same metro area (i.e. the San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose continuous urban stretch known as the "bay area")

San Francisco has a bigger metro area than Philly.
Technically an MSA is measured by the population development around a singular core city. Philadelphia being older than SF and one of the earliest historical magnets has always been a top 5 MSA in the usa. The Bay areas progress melded between 2 seperate MSA's in SF and SJ (50 miles apart).This in effect helped spawn a new category known as a CMSA, a consolidation of different metroes. So no officially the SF-Oak-Fremont metro is not larger than Philadelphias.

It appears to me that the CMSA category is drowning in ambiguity, insecurity and self promotion. It seems the more powerful politicians and lobbyist you have in your area the bigger you can expand your cmsa. Hence SF/SJ 50 miles away are part of the same cmsa but Philadelphia/Trenton 25 miles away are not.Philadelphia Reading 40 miles away are not. Philadlephia/Allentown 50 miles apart are not part of the same cmsa.

Here are the top 12 most urbanized areas of the USA per 2000 census.This list is based on areas that have an uninterrupted expanse of 2500 people per sq. mile.

USA Urbanized Areas: 2000 Ranked by Population(465 Areas)

1.New York--Newark, NY--NJ--CT 17,799,861
2.Los Angeles--Long Beach--Santa Ana, CA 11,789,487
3.Chicago, IL--IN 8,307,904
4.Philadelphia, PA--NJ--DE--MD 5,149,079
5.Miami, FL 4,919,036
6.Dallas--Fort Worth--Arlington, TX 4,145,659
7.Boston, MA--NH--RI 4,032,484
8.Washington, DC--VA--MD 3,933,920
9.Detroit, MI 3,903,377
10.Houston, TX 3,822,509
11.Atlanta, GA 3,499,840
12.San Francisco--Oakland, CA 3,228,605

Old 08-25-2009, 09:00 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,689,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
We agree to disagree...I changed my tone because I love both cities and gave a fair comparison...even giving San Francisco top billing in title and the poll. I also admitted I was biased toward Philadelphia, at the start.

There was the ghetto comment...but also to say there is no comparison...after I gave a fair analysis, is slinging...IMHO. I am not surprised at the poll...weather etc. is more important to people. I am surprised by the San Francisco comments lacking "tact"...like rubbing in the poll results...again it is just my opinion and my thread. I've even gotten DM's about issues from SF posters...GEESH
Why did you ask the question if you didn't want to hear the answer. San Francisco has almost 70%, Philly 24% That's almost 3-1.

http://www.phillytrolley.org/

That's a PTC Trolley (Philadelphia Transit Co) on Market St. San Francisco

So you could say San Francisco is more Philly than Philly. You can get a cheesesteak on Divisadero and go to an A's game. I'm old enough to remember the Philadelphia A's and the PTC

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-25-2009 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: inserted link in lieu of photo due to copyright

Old 08-25-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Why did you ask the question if you didn't want to hear the answer. San Francisco has almost 70%, Philly 24% That's almost 3-1.

That's a PTC Trolley (Philadelphia Transit Co) on Market St. San Francisco

So you could say San Francisco is more Philly than Philly. You can get a cheesesteak on Divisadero and go to an A's game. I'm old enough to remember the Philadelphia A's and the PTC
I can read.....your proving my point. Thanx...

Old 08-25-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Technically an MSA is measured by the population development around a singular core city. Philadelphia being older than SF and one of the earliest historical magnets has always been a top 5 MSA in the usa. The Bay areas progress melded between 2 seperate MSA's in SF and SJ (50 miles apart).This in effect helped spawn a new category known as a CMSA, a consolidation of different metroes. So no officially the SF-Oak-Fremont metro is not larger than Philadelphias.

It appears to me that the CMSA category is drowning in ambiguity, insecurity and self promotion. It seems the more powerful politicians and lobbyist you have in your area the bigger you can expand your cmsa. Hence SF/SJ 50 miles away are part of the same cmsa but Philadelphia/Trenton 25 miles away are not.Philadelphia Reading 40 miles away are not. Philadlephia/Allentown 50 miles apart are not part of the same cmsa.

Here are the top 12 most urbanized areas of the USA per 2000 census.This list is based on areas that have an uninterrupted expanse of 2500 people per sq. mile.

USA Urbanized Areas: 2000 Ranked by Population(465 Areas)

1.New York--Newark, NY--NJ--CT 17,799,861
2.Los Angeles--Long Beach--Santa Ana, CA 11,789,487
3.Chicago, IL--IN 8,307,904
4.Philadelphia, PA--NJ--DE--MD 5,149,079
5.Miami, FL 4,919,036
6.Dallas--Fort Worth--Arlington, TX 4,145,659
7.Boston, MA--NH--RI 4,032,484
8.Washington, DC--VA--MD 3,933,920
9.Detroit, MI 3,903,377
10.Houston, TX 3,822,509
11.Atlanta, GA 3,499,840
12.San Francisco--Oakland, CA 3,228,605
Thank you...I was comparing MSA's as stated....not CMSA's etc. why the nitpicking when SF is clearly winning the poll???? Tells me something?

Old 08-25-2009, 09:11 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock
You keep repeating this false argument everytime this topic comes up.

This is how it works, please.

1. If one county sends at least 25%+ of its workers to another county, then those 2 counties combine into a single MSA.

2. If one MSA sends 15%+ of its workers into another MSA, then those 2 combine into a single CSA.

Because $20 Billion Dollars of Bay Area Gross Product goes to people living outside our current CSA borders--we have a stake in their future and they have a stake in ours. Look for our borders to expand, first adding Stockton(probably in 2010) and that will push us over 8 Million. Then if Stockton and Modesto combine, that will push us to 8.5 Million, then if commuter trends continue to rise btwn Monterey and Santa Cruz and Santa Clara, then we'll add Monterey and that will push us over 9 Million. Also look for the Bay Area to add Mendocino and Lake Counties(already part of the SF Media Market) as they continue to send workers into Sonoma County-that will push us to about 9.2 Million.

And so on.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:27 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
You're doe-eyed. The CMSA's are hocus pocus self promotion.Some areas do it better than others, some regional political movements have more clout than others.

It absurd to try and tell me there is unquestioned integration between SJ -SF or bal-wash which are 50 miles apart , yet Philadelphia and Trenton 25 miles apart are apparent socio-isolated regions. You'd have to be a jackass to believe that nonsense. The CMSA is a farce.Trenton being part of NYC's metro is an absolute abomination and renders the cmsa status obsolete imo.

Stick with the msa's they have much more credibility.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

This is how it works, please.

1. If one county sends at least 25%+ of its workers to another county, then those 2 counties combine into a single MSA.

2. If one MSA sends 15%+ of its workers into another MSA, then those 2 combine into a single CSA.

Because $20 Billion Dollars of Bay Area Gross Product goes to people living outside our current CSA borders--we have a stake in their future and they have a stake in ours. Look for our borders to expand, first adding Stockton(probably in 2010) and that will push us over 8 Million. Then if Stockton and Modesto combine, that will push us to 8.5 Million, then if commuter trends continue to rise btwn Monterey and Santa Cruz and Santa Clara, then we'll add Monterey and that will push us over 9 Million. Also look for the Bay Area to add Mendocino and Lake Counties(already part of the SF Media Market) as they continue to send workers into Sonoma County-that will push us to about 9.2 Million.

And so on.
But MY THREAD specifically was comparing MSA's...why argue these points....start your own thread about comparing both CMSA's and their respective components.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City