Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better Sports Town
Dallas 56 67.47%
Houston 13 15.66%
Atlanta 14 16.87%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 11:59 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Because many people, like you, are ignorant about the Texans and still go off of the David Carr-era team.
Or because people like you have such a hardon for your city that you cant conceede that your city isnt the best (or one of the best) at everything.

Then everything becomes an emotional arguement, where you argue for the sake of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 12:03 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Or because people like you have such a hardon for your city that you cant conceede that your city isnt the best (or one of the best) at everything.

Then everything becomes an emotional arguement, where you argue for the sake of it.
Did I say we were the best? Nope, not even close. I said we're better than at least half the teams and the league and are coming up. You keep denying that by going off of things that happened in the David Carr-era. Plus, are ignorant on the things like the expansion draft, etc., so who are you to talk?

Old 08-30-2009, 12:11 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
Quote:
When have the ATLANTA HAWKS won a championship? When was the last time they were at one?

They never have won a NBA championship in Atlanta. So my bad please forgive me for not researching and checking my facts. I just went off what the other poster stated

Old 08-30-2009, 12:25 PM

58 posts, read 221,002 times
Atlanta is completely lacking in die-hard sports fans. No one in Atlanta cares about their teams. You should watch the way the news here covers sports. It's pathetic and completely laughable. The entire sports segment usually lasts about 30 seconds, and the newscaster reads from the cue card in a monotone the entire time sounding bored. If you blink you miss it. Then it's back to covering the murder and mayhem that Atlanta is so well aquainted with. Atlanta is just not a sports town. A crime-infested, h*llhole it is, but a place for true sports fans it is not.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:51 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
They never have won a NBA championship in Atlanta. So my bad please forgive me for not researching and checking my facts. I just went off what the other poster stated
They haven't even been to the NBA Finals as the Atlanta Falcons (around since 1968). Fact checking is nice.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:03 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,642,678 times
Quote:
I also agree the problem with the Dallas Mavericks is they have not won a NBA Championship. They had there chance againist MIAMI in the finals and choked. So until Dallas get that championship even with having a 104% attendance rate than the knod goes to ATL but once again Atlanta needs to start supporting there franchises better. Its not acceptable with a metro over 5 million to have poor attendance when it comes to pro sports. Overall Dallas has the most passionate and supportive fans of three cities being compared.
2008-2009 NBA Attendance
2008-2009 NFL Attendance
2008-2009 MLB Attendance
2008-2009 NHL Attendance

Quote:
Wow, you didn't appreciate that light humor. I wasn't lying though, because the Hawks franchise (key words here) did win a ring in 1958 by beating the Celtics in six games, the problem was that they were in St. Louis during that time not ATL. Bob Petit had his jersey retired as an Atlanta Hawk and he was part of that championship team that beat Boston in 1958 (they moved from STL to ATL ten years after winning the championship). The Mavs are in a decline but they're still good but how would that fan base be after a decade of suckage? I do give Dallas credit though for having a superstar that fits the city (a Chris Paul/Deron Williams to Josh Smith connection would have Phillips packed every night, but BK missed on both).

Old 08-30-2009, 01:59 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,642,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoffman View Post
Atlanta is completely lacking in die-hard sports fans. No one in Atlanta cares about their teams. You should watch the way the news here covers sports. It's pathetic and completely laughable. The entire sports segment usually lasts about 30 seconds, and the newscaster reads from the cue card in a monotone the entire time sounding bored. If you blink you miss it. Then it's back to covering the murder and mayhem that Atlanta is so well aquainted with. Atlanta is just not a sports town. A crime-infested, h*llhole it is, but a place for true sports fans it is not.
There are way worse cities than Atlanta but I do admit that the numbers should be better in baseball and basketball. I can't speak for anyone else but if die-hard mean sobbing uncontrollably everytime my team losses, count me out. I do attend games, buy gear, and hope that they are win. Atlanta really isn't used to having more than on team see success but that's about to change this year.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:50 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Did you not read where I said the Texans got owned by the commish in the expansion draft? Jacksonville and Charlotte had more money, and a lot more picks in the draft/expansion draft than the Texans. But not having a winning record yet does not make us the worst team in the league. We're better than, I'd say, about half the teams in the league right now.

When did I say the Falcons were worse than the Texans? I was talking about overall city history. Houston has had football since the early 60s.

Because many people, like you, are ignorant about the Texans and still go off of the David Carr-era team.

Well, that's you.

Sure.
People forget Houston had the Oilers

Old 08-30-2009, 04:22 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,093,569 times
Yeah When Atlanta teams start winning maybe the Attendance would get better braves are the only team that has one a championship. Falcons went to the Super bowl i can recall once.and from the looks of NFL looks like dallas was under Atlanta in attendance

Old 08-30-2009, 04:35 PM

200 posts, read 294,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
People forget Houston had the Oilers
People also forget the Texans arguably play in the second hardest division with the Colts (perennial contenders), Titans (top seed last year), and the Jaguars. I give a slight nod to the NFC East for hardest division. So all things considered, I think the Texans have been doing fine so far as an expansion team given their competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City