Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SF or Houston?
San Francisco, California 141 77.05%
Houston, Texas 42 22.95%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 12:34 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
And let the flaming begin...
Well it has to start somewhere right?

It just wouldn't be city-data if we didn't have flame wars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 12:38 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
For the tens of thousands of homeless who arrive in San Fco every year, San Fco is better.
For the 100,000 people or more who arrive in Houston every year to work and to improve their living standard, Houston is better.
LOL

Quote:
The City by the Bay outshined the rest of the field in attracting alumni from the nation's top schools. More of the class of 1998 from Harvard, Stanford, Rice, Princeton, Duke and Northwestern picked San Francisco (http://www.forbes.com/afxnewslimited/feeds/afx/2008/06/24/afx5146141.html?partner=lingospot - broken link) as home, 10 years out of school, compared with any other metro.
Best Cities For Young Professionals - Forbes.com

Old 09-25-2009, 12:39 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
The Houston hospitals are top hospitals, outside of the general category.

What else is "Texas Children's" going to have besides pediatrics?

The list is impressive even so, the Texas Medical Center is the largest medical district in the world, and is the city's largest employer. To belittle the medical scene as if it's insignificant... and the culture as if there is none... and so on... is just stupid. I'm not saying Houston is the better city, I'm saying most people on here are clueless about Houston and are talking out of their butts.
This whole thread is stupid and I'm surprised it hasn't been shut down yet for being "too vague" from the start.
was not belittling the medical scene... but machiavelli posted how it trumped SF and I was pointing out inconsistencies in that thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Better economy, better medical facilities, better politics, better people (people that don't walk around thinking they are better than others), prettier people etc.

SF is nothing more than a city with an inferiority complex to LA and NY. San Jose is the real reason why SF is even relevent anymore
Where as we have the latest 2009-10 rankings from US News.
America's Best Hospitals: the 2009–10 Honor Roll

They're the best of the best—the 0.4 percent of all hospitals with high scores in 6 or more specialties"

#7 University of California, San Francisco Medical Center

#15 Stanford Hospital and Clinics, Stanford, Calif.

#20 Methodist Hospital, Houston

so again, how is it that Houston has the better medical facilities? If machiavelli believed so strongly he probably should get off city data and start writing a letter to us news sweating profusely about their inadequate critique!

Old 09-25-2009, 01:00 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,499,960 times
We already had the education discussion, but since we're on the topic of 'improving living standards', education leads to more opportunities and more money-you might want to tell people in Houston, that might help them.

Households Earning $100,000+ Annually, 2008

Houston City 135,784...17.9% of all households
San Francisco City 122,728...37.9% of all households

Households Earning $100,000+ Annually, 2008
Houston-Baytown-Huntsville, TX 493,871...24.7% of all households
San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA 1,009,106...38.3% of all households

Households Earning $200,000+ Annually, 2008

Houston City 38,349...5.0% of all households
San Francisco City 45,805...14.1% of all households

Households Earning $200,000+ Annually, 2008

Houston-Baytown-Huntsville, TX 114,995...5.7% of all households
San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA 293,755...11.1% of all households

I guess all that economic prosperity people in Houston brag about so frequently isnt really trickling down to normal people.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:05 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,839,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Thats right, pass the blame for the flame war to someone from Houston

It was started long ago (see post 8) by someone from Chicago and soon followed by someone from SF
... which is what I tried to say earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
so again, how is it that Houston has the better medical facilities?
Once again, Houston's top-ranked hospitals are in one or two specialties, not in the general category.
Question: are you in the medical industry?

Old 09-25-2009, 01:11 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,551,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I guess all that economic prosperity people in Houston brag about so frequently isnt really trickling down to normal people.
But then again our government isn't bankrupt, despite all those $100K+ earning people paying >9% in state income taxes.

People make a lot there because they have to, or they wouldn't be able to live there. You've also got a lot of rural, blue-collar Texas in the wider Houston metro area. Oil refinery operators tend not to hold master's degrees or make six figures, but they make a living.

The California government is a big part of why I'd never move to California. Visit, sure, but visiting's a whole different beast from living.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
... which is what I tried to say earlier.

Once again, Houston's top-ranked hospitals are in one or two specialties, not in the general category.
Question: are you in the medical industry?
So they are good at a few things. I never said they weren't... Is that the overall picture, or would that quantify *or* qualify Houston having better medical facilities than SF? That is like saying Texas A&M has better ag program than UCB or Stanford... does that mean Texas A&M is a better university overall?
No I'm not in the medical field, but I can think critically and objectively.
Do you agree as machiavelli stated that Houston has better medical facilities overall?
I certainly wouldn't doubt JH and Mayo are 1, 2...why such doubt about where they rank the ones from SF and Houston?
If so your real argument isn't with me, you should be arguing with all of the medical experts polled who do the us news rankings and compilations, or insert any other media outlet.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:24 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,839,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
So they are good at a few things. I never said they weren't... Is that the overall picture, or would that quantify *or* qualify Houston having better medical facilities than SF? That is like saying Texas A&M has better ag program than UCB or Stanford... does that mean Texas A&M is a better university overall?
No I'm not in the medical field, but I can think critically and objectively.
Do you agree as machiavelli stated that Houston has better medical facilities overall?
If so your real argument isn't with me, you should be arguing with all of the medical experts polled who do the us news rankings and compilations, or insert any other media outlet.
I've only worked in specialties and medical research.
I have no experience with the general hospital category.
It's hard to answer your question. But, I do know if someone has a rare or advanced form of cancer, M. D. Anderson is THE place to go. World leaders have been treated here.
St Luke's is one of THE best places for heart treatment.
Texas Children's is one of THE best places for pediatrics.
And so on...
This was likely why he said Houston was superior.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I've only worked in specialties and medical research.
I have no experience with the general hospital category.
It's hard to answer your question. But, I do know if someone has a rare or advanced form of cancer, M. D. Anderson is THE place to go. World leaders have been treated here.
St Luke's is one of THE best places for heart treatment.
Texas Children's is one of THE best places for pediatrics.
And so on...
This was likely why he said Houston was superior.
No arguments with this.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:30 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,232 times
Default San Francisco wins easily!

Is this thread a complete joke?? San Francisco is the clear winner here, this statement comes from someone who lives just 5 1/2 hours south in LA. San Francisco has cleaner air, MUCH better weather(no one can argue this, you only need to do a simple climate research), and more open minded people.

Houston gets too humid and it is located in one of the most conservative areas in the country. Yes SF is more expensive but if one can afford it it is well worth your $$$! You only need to ask yourselves why in practically EVERY election, TX goes to the GOP. SF wins in a landslide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City