Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 05:52 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
I know the yankees are identified with new york as a whole. But to say the bronx takes a complete backseat is misleading. Pelham bay park is associated with the bronx. The bronx zoo is associated with the bronx. And anything in new york is going to be associated as being new york.

Prospect park is a park in bk just like pelham is in the bx. Of course when u put the boroughs name in front of it, its going to be different

And the city of new york did a project on its busiest streets- fifth ave,queens blvd, 42, fordham etc. Fordham was said to be busier than regal street in london and was stated to be one of the busiest in the world.

If u were to actually go to the bronx instead of blindly yapping about it. You would see just how busy fordham and the concourse really are. More hustle bustle than some small cities and would be more impressive if they added taller buildings
I didn't say the Bronx takes a complete backseat to Brooklyn. Nor did I say that the Bronx has less "hustle bustle than some small cities." Your tone would be more offensive if I thought you actually understood the argument, but I don't think you really do. The Bronx does not act as much like a cohesive independent city like other actual East Coast cities than Brooklyn does. Pelham Bay is certainly associated with the Bronx, but it simply isn't as well known nor does it host as many events. The Bronx Zoo is definitely a notable Bronx institution, but the point was that Brooklyn has more of greater stature.

And this isn't blindly yapping about the Bronx. I've spent time there for work and to visit friends. I've worked on various newscasts and commercials for the area where I actually had to do research. Fordham Road is a really long and busy strip, that's true. Brooklyn has vibrant neighborhoods that are busy, catering to a great diversity of peoples. In the end, Brooklyn simply has greater vibrancy and a vibrancy of a much greater "range" that one would expect of an independent city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 06:39 PM

196 posts, read 614,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
There are almost 700 buildings in just Brooklyn Heights alone that were built before the Civil War (1860). The oldest house in Brooklyn, the Pieter Claesen Wyckoff House, was built in 1652*. This house is older by at least 30 years than the entire city of Philadelphia or by more than 50 years, Baltimore.
Cool! I did not know that.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:22 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I didn't say the Bronx takes a complete backseat to Brooklyn. Nor did I say that the Bronx has less "hustle bustle than some small cities." Your tone would be more offensive if I thought you actually understood the argument, but I don't think you really do. The Bronx does not act as much like a cohesive independent city like other actual East Coast cities than Brooklyn does. Pelham Bay is certainly associated with the Bronx, but it simply isn't as well known nor does it host as many events. The Bronx Zoo is definitely a notable Bronx institution, but the point was that Brooklyn has more of greater stature.

And this isn't blindly yapping about the Bronx. I've spent time there for work and to visit friends. I've worked on various newscasts and commercials for the area where I actually had to do research. Fordham Road is a really long and busy strip, that's true. Brooklyn has vibrant neighborhoods that are busy, catering to a great diversity of peoples. In the end, Brooklyn simply has greater vibrancy and a vibrancy of a much greater "range" that one would expect of an independent city.
I know theres a huge brooklyn bandwagon. But plz spare a native new yorker. The bronx has just as much things as brooklyn, only smaller with a little less invested into it. The bx has the biggest things in the city outside manhattan, and it is a borough full of diverse neighborhoods,diverse scenery, diverse people. One of the boroughs to create culture in this city. 1.5 million people almost three times as much as some independent cities

The bronx along with queens are perfectly capable of being independent cities. The bronx by itself is more of a city than the one im in right now(columbia sc)

And what research are u talking about. For all your research u still didnt know what i was getting at with fordham road. Research? lol

Old 09-29-2009, 08:45 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
I know theres a huge brooklyn bandwagon. But plz spare a native new yorker. The bronx has just as much things as brooklyn, only smaller with a little less invested into it. The bx has the biggest things in the city outside manhattan, and it is a borough full of diverse neighborhoods,diverse scenery, diverse people. One of the boroughs to create culture in this city. 1.5 million people almost three times as much as some independent cities

The bronx along with queens are perfectly capable of being independent cities. The bronx by itself is more of a city than the one im in right now(columbia sc)

And what research are u talking about. For all your research u still didnt know what i was getting at with fordham road. Research? lol
How is a topic this simple that hard for you to understand? Is anyone saying the Bronx isn't diverse in its neighborhoods, scenery, or people? Is anyone saying that the Bronx isn't larger than many other cities or is incapable of being its own entity than other cities? What are you railing against when you can't even grasp what is being asked?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City