Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 05:46 PM

110 posts, read 101,436 times

Advertisements

I am from New Jersey, but have experienced living in the west coast, new south and deep south. While living in the south I noticed a huge difference in the sports culture. The majority of the people where I am from enjoy the four major sports, which are NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL. Also, they would enjoy an occasional NCAA basketball/football game or a golf tournament. However, while living in the south I noticed that people did not share the same sports culture and their favorite sports were college football, golf, fishing, hunting and nascar. Can anyone shed any light into the cultural differences of the two regions? What is the reason for the differences?

Old 09-13-2009, 08:48 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCounty View Post
I am from New Jersey, but have experienced living in the west coast, new south and deep south. While living in the south I noticed a huge difference in the sports culture. The majority of the people where I am from enjoy the four major sports, which are NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL. Also, they would enjoy an occasional NCAA basketball/football game or a golf tournament. However, while living in the south I noticed that people did not share the same sports culture and their favorite sports were college football, golf, fishing, hunting and nascar. Can anyone shed any light into the cultural differences of the two regions? What is the reason for the differences?
I live in Little Rock and I agree with this statement. Around here, SEC football, NASCAR, huntin', fishin', and muddin' are the only thing that matters. Redneck culture I guess.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:29 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,663,701 times
I think a lot of it has to do with what is accessible. In the south, outside of Atl and FL, there are few professional sports. So College football is magnified. NASCAR is a sun-belt, southern activity. Heck, they have been trying to get to the Pacific NW with no luck for years! Golf, again, has to do with weather.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:38 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
I think a lot of it has to do with what is accessible. In the south, outside of Atl and FL, there are few professional sports. So College football is magnified. NASCAR is a sun-belt, southern activity. Heck, they have been trying to get to the Pacific NW with no luck for years! Golf, again, has to do with weather.
yeh even those are recent, and of the ones that aren't...very recent.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:45 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times
Well people in the South are not diversed with these types of sports. The South is a whole different culture. Where I am now in Va. This state does not even have a team for MLB, NFL, it is unbelievable. However these people in VA are crazy about college sports since they do not have a team of their own.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:12 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Yeah, but the PGA has tournaments all over the country, and the only one of the four majors that's static is the Masters, at Augusta National. I think the only state without one is Alaska.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:00 PM

79 posts, read 157,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Well people in the South are not diversed with these types of sports. The South is a whole different culture. Where I am now in Va. This state does not even have a team for MLB, NFL, it is unbelievable. However these people in VA are crazy about college sports since they do not have a team of their own.
I always thought VA supported DC teams.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:22 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,102,641 times
College and pro football are popular throughout the country. Other than that, only the NBA and MLB are popular nationwide along with college basketball at tournament time

Hockey is popular in the Upper Midwest and Northeast and, although the North does not want to believe it, NASCAR is popular there as well as the South.

Lacrosse is generally popular in the Northeast

Old 09-14-2009, 04:28 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I would say college teams are more "their own" than an NFL team. With College Football teams you are actually playing with majority players from your own state. With the NFL you are playing with players from who knows where. That's why College Football isn't very big in the northeast. The quality of football within the state is poor compared to other areas of the country.

NFL franchises are basically some random guys who decide to set up shot withing a certain city to sell a product and make money. No real emotional or loyal ties.

Besides, college football enjoys better tradition, better stadiums, and better gameday pageantry than pro football.

Last edited by UTHORNS96; 09-14-2009 at 04:39 PM..

Old 09-14-2009, 04:40 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,102,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I would say college teams are more "their own" than an NFL team. With College Football teams you are actually playing with majority players from your own state. With the NFL you are playing with players from who knows where. That's why College Football isn't very big in the northeast. The quality of football within the state is poor compared to other areas of the country.

Besides, college football enjoys better tradition, better stadiums, and better gameday pageantry than pro football.

I totally agree

Once someone actually goes to a big time college game like USC - Ohio St, Ohio St - Michigan, A&M - UT, or most SEC games, they will be extremely impressed if they had been going to NFL games exclusively before
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City