Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are PA & NY apart of both regions?
Yes, PA & NY are apart of both regions due to vast differences within their own respective states 20 66.67%
No, PA & NY are apart of only the Bos-Wash Corridor 6 20.00%
No, PA & NY are only apart of the Great Lakes Mega Region 1 3.33%
Confused 1 3.33%
Other Option (Please specify) 2 6.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 04:38 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,053,483 times

Advertisements

In all technicality, both states are "officially' divided into two different Mega Regions, one being the Northeast Corridor (Bos-Wash) and the other being the Great Lakes Mega Region (Chi-Pitts).

The point of the thread is rather simple, a discussion to see if "they" were accurate in the placement for Mega Regions.

Criteria:
- Common characteristics existing between cities
- Location and placement of any city
- Economical past (Manufacturing, or whatever)
- Cultural significance, which region it plays a more closer connection to
- Maybe who particular cities root for in terms of sports
- Setting, on one of the Great Lakes or inland versus being on the Atlantic

Now you don't have to complete all the criteria but you can (and possibly more so recommended) make a post based off any information you find to be a link or validation of your opinion.

A map for your reference:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 05:03 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,307,802 times
I know of some megaregions that place Buffalo and Rochester with Toronto forming a third region. But in esssence I do believe that NY and PA are split into 2 different regions within their respective states.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I know of some megaregions that place Buffalo and Rochester with Toronto forming a third region. But in esssence I do believe that NY and PA are split into 2 different regions within their respective states.
Actually you're right, the Great Lakes Mega Region has a characteristic of being centralized over the Great Lakes (Much like Chicago & Toronto) in this regard or for having a heavy manufacturing past.

For example the Quebec-Windsor Corridor in Canada houses 18 Million people, in essence 51% of Canada's population and includes Toronto and other large clusters, not having Detroit there is wrong and if Detroit is in so are Chicago, Cleveland, & Milwaukee.

The Great Lakes Mega Region consists of, Chicago, Toronto, Detroit, Buffalo, Cleveland, Milwaukee, & Pittsburgh (and some others) the only debatable cities are Twin Cities, Quad Cities, & Saint Louis in this regard.

But I think both PA & NY have areas apart of both Bos-Wash & Great lakes, essentially two different Mega Regions of the country.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:12 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
I know I will get heat from Pittsburgh folks but I agree they are more separate then together though it is not really a black and white in the split, probably more grey. Both states overall are more affiliated with the corrider especially from a impacted population perspective, and the linkage in the western states porbably has some association in both directions. I would think in more recent times the momentum to the corrider is getting stronger with pittsbugh, the distance to DC is actually much closer than to Philly or NYC and the growth of DC I think is probably vreating more ties to Pittsburgh with time.

Last edited by kidphilly; 02-19-2011 at 05:22 PM..

Old 02-19-2011, 05:18 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
I dont understand how Pittsburgh is considered to be in a region with Chicago.....Pittsburgh does not associate with the Midwest or any of the Great Lakes Cities.....

Boston, NYC, Philly, Baltimore DC all associate with one another because of the NEC so it makes sense.....and its been proven time and time again Pittsburgh has more association with the East than it does with the Midwest Cities...

There is a Midwest Mega Region that redials from Chicago but Cleveland is as far east as it goes...Pittsburgh should not be included in that.

http://www.urbanophile.com/2010/10/0...nal-migration/

Old 02-19-2011, 05:23 PM

I don't know I've never been to Pittsburgh before so I cant comment on what it looks and feels like, although have heard quite a lot of great things about it from my friend Nicole.

But Buffalo is one place that I've been too, and one of my top all time favorite cities (Top 15), and for Upstate New York, it most certainly does have more in common with Cleveland, Chicago, & Toronto than it does with New York, Boston, & Washington DC. So it's almost quantifiable (in my opinion) that it definitely belongs in the Great Lakes Mega Region.

I'll leave Pittsburgh & PA in general to those that know it well and better.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:25 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
That's fine for Buffalo but its not even apart of Pittsburgh's Top Hinterlands Cities.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:28 PM

818 posts, read 1,388,871 times
Pittsburgh's a midwestern city even though census puts it in the NE IMO

Old 02-19-2011, 05:29 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Actually you're right, the Great Lakes Mega Region has a characteristic of being centralized over the Great Lakes (Much like Chicago & Toronto) in this regard or for having a heavy manufacturing past.

For example the Quebec-Windsor Corridor in Canada houses 18 Million people, in essence 51% of Canada's population and includes Toronto and other large clusters, not having Detroit there is wrong and if Detroit is in so are Chicago, Cleveland, & Milwaukee.

The Great Lakes Mega Region consists of, Chicago, Toronto, Detroit, Buffalo, Cleveland, Milwaukee, & Pittsburgh (and some others) the only debatable cities are Twin Cities, Quad Cities, & Saint Louis in this regard.

But I think both PA & NY have areas apart of both Bos-Wash & Great lakes, essentially two different Mega Regions of the country.
The map bascially has the Eastern Continental divide mountain range as the barrier, both PA and NY are very mountainous in the middle even if not extremly tall they are very undevelopable terrain to a great extent

This gives some perspective a flight from JFK to SFO - they leave out of the direct Pottstown approach close to Reading, in the first few seconds is the Limerick Nuclear Power plant, the largest electric producer on the east coast, then west to harrisburg at about 6:40 - after that there is nothing and you can see the vast mountainous are in the middle of the state

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwCuhikHjgU

Old 02-19-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
The map bascially has the Eastern Continental divide mountain range as the barrier, both PA and NY are very mountainous in the middle even if not extremly tall they are very undevelopable terrain to a great extent

This gives some perspective a flight from JFK to SFO - they leave out of the direct Pottstown approach close to Reading, in the first few seconds is the Limerick Nuclear Power plant, the largest electric producer on the east coast, then west to harrisburg at about 6:40 - after that there is nothing and you can see the vast mountainous are in the middle of the state

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwCuhikHjgU
While I haven't been to Pittsburgh for some reason I've always had an impression that it's a blend of Philadelphia & Chicago, maybe I'm wrong on that but I've always had that impression of Pittsburgh.

I also read that Pittsburgh is the leading & capital city (and largest city) of a US Sub-Region called "Applachia" which exhibits the culture's and traditions of the Appalachian Region and on the Appalachian Mountain range. I don't know too much about Pittsburgh overall but it seems to sit in a crossroads of a sort between two regions, two cultures, two distinct vibes in general and I think it gets its personality off of that. Maybe?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/55/Appalachian_region_of_United_States.gif (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City