Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 11:11 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Finally we agreed on something lol
We've agreed on things before--and this is actually a case where I disagreed with you.

I recognize that the Bronx hosts world class institutions, but few of them actually identify with the Bronx so much as they do with NYC as a whole, and it's understandable given the history of Brooklyn and its relationship with New York City. I've spent quite a bit of time in the hub and the grand concourse, but it certainly doesn't come with the scale or vibrancy that downtown Brooklyn and its surrounding neighborhoods (Park Slope, Dumbo, Fort Greene, etc.) have. The Bronx has its own thing going and what it has going seems quite different from what most notable East Coast cities have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 05:38 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,664 times
The Bronx has its own thing going and what it has going seems quite different from what most notable East Coast cities have.[/quote]

& What is that? I'm curious to know..

Old 09-26-2009, 06:06 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I think the same could be said for all boroughs though, every one of them is very unique to be it's own city, they all have at least something in common with each other though.
Except that Brooklyn has the distinction of actually having been an independent city (1834-98).

Old 09-26-2009, 06:12 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Except that Brooklyn has the distinction of actually having been an independent city (1834-98).
I think Staten Island & Queens were seperate from NYC until 1898 as well. All the boroughs are unique but Brooklyn is definitely more "city like".

Old 09-26-2009, 07:04 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,092,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
We've agreed on things before--and this is actually a case where I disagreed with you.

I recognize that the Bronx hosts world class institutions, but few of them actually identify with the Bronx so much as they do with NYC as a whole, and it's understandable given the history of Brooklyn and its relationship with New York City. I've spent quite a bit of time in the hub and the grand concourse, but it certainly doesn't come with the scale or vibrancy that downtown Brooklyn and its surrounding neighborhoods (Park Slope, Dumbo, Fort Greene, etc.) have. The Bronx has its own thing going and what it has going seems quite different from what most notable East Coast cities have.
lol. The bronx has just as much vibrancy. Fordham road is one of the busiest shopping districts in the world. And by itself busier than many streets in other cities.

And as far as not identifying with the borough. Does the BRONX zoo ring bells. How about the BRONX bombers Matter fact what institutions were you talking about?

Old 09-27-2009, 06:18 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
lol. The bronx has just as much vibrancy. Fordham road is one of the busiest shopping districts in the world. And by itself busier than many streets in other cities.

And as far as not identifying with the borough. Does the BRONX zoo ring bells. How about the BRONX bombers Matter fact what institutions were you talking about?
But this thread was specifically about Brooklyn. I don't hijack Bronx threads; why do you have to do that here?

Old 09-27-2009, 08:34 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Default Is Brooklyn like more East Coast cities or New York as a whole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFriendlyGod View Post
It seems to me that Brooklyn, considered as a city on its own (which it kind of is but mostly is not) kind of seems more comparable to cities like Philadelphia and Boston than New York as a whole. Mainly this is because it's only got one million more residents than Philly instead of six and a half (!) but it's also more neighborhood-oriented than Manhattan; it's not one huge downtown like Manhattan kind of is. It does pull together as a city more than Queens or the Bronx, though, because it has a single downtown and surrounding regions. How do you think it compares to other East Coast cities in terms of neighborhoods, architecture, geography, and overall "feel"? (Amenities and such it mostly shares with New York as a whole.)
Brooklyn has always reminded me of dense older cities, especially Philadelphia and Boston. Obviously the architecture is different, but Brooklyn also reminds me of the very dense low lying skylines of Europe, especially London.

This seems to be beyond most people here on CD. Whenever a question like most historic city or most European city come up --- New York is totally ignored. People forget MOST people living in New York City do not live in Manhattan and in fact Manhattan makes up less than 10% of NYC's land area! Its not all skyscrapers folks.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:00 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Most people, who have never been there, do not realize how small the island of Manhattan is. You can literally walk from one end to the other. I did many times as a child. You could not fit 8+ million people (population of ALL 5 broughs of NYC) on the island of Manhattan unless you built 100+ story apartment buildings.

Brooklyn was it's own city until 1898. If you look around, you will still see signs which say "Welcome to the City of Brooklyn."

History of Brooklyn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-27-2009, 07:44 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
nyc is 5 distinct cities in one, that's what makes it amazing

manhattan is just what stands out the most because of the skyscrapers
but its also where the money is and where all the celebrities live

Old 09-27-2009, 08:27 PM

4,533 posts, read 5,103,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Brooklyn has always reminded me of dense older cities, especially Philadelphia and Boston. Obviously the architecture is different, but Brooklyn also reminds me of the very dense low lying skylines of Europe, especially London.

This seems to be beyond most people here on CD. Whenever a question like most historic city or most European city come up --- New York is totally ignored. People forget MOST people living in New York City do not live in Manhattan and in fact Manhattan makes up less than 10% of NYC's land area! Its not all skyscrapers folks.
Very true...

Brooklyn feels a lot like Philly in the neighborhoods, esp areas like University City/West Phila, South Philly and parts of North Philly. Brooklyn is cool -- by far the hippest of New York's boroughs because, moreso than any other NYC borough, natives more identify with being from Brooklyn... the phrase: "I'm just a kid from Brooklyn" is a part of Americana... Brooklyn's identity is of being diverse, working class and down to earth. Manhattan is seen as a bunch of rich, snooty snobs... but it also has its beaches (Brighton, Coney Island, etc) and is very diverse... Love the place... Unlike most "tourists" (I actually know people who live in Brooklyn, I escape from the Central Park-to-34th Street box most tourist on't venture from..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City