Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 01:10 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyao View Post
i agree with the above poster. The people who want to compare Chicago to NYC are generally the people from Chicago and not from NYC.

Chicago may be the Manhattan of the Midwest, but I would never really compare to the two in reality, except to give context to people who have never visited.

Heck, I have heard some people call Pittsburgh "The San Francisco of the East" and Vanderbilt "the harvard of the south".
I dont know...for the past like, 8 months its been the other way around.
the only people who compare are people who have lived in both
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 01:44 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,286,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
In the outside world (mostly out side of city forums and website) not much people give thought to chicago are care. Chicago lack of presense in pop culture contribute heavinly to this. Me personaly just don't see what the big whoop about Chicago is as well. Chicago even more faded into the background when it lost it's olympic bid, but yeah just my 2 sense.
And being from Chicago the only other city I even remotely think about is Milwaukee. And the Olympic bid put Chicago in the national spotlight for a long time and just because Chicago didn't win didn't make them fade away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyao View Post
i agree with the above poster. The people who want to compare Chicago to NYC are generally the people from Chicago and not from NYC.
You have not seen a lot of the NYC Vs. Chicago threads if you are making that assumption.

Last edited by thePR; 10-16-2009 at 01:55 PM..

Old 10-16-2009, 01:51 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
But media and entertainment hype about places doesn't exactly translate into the real world and life in general.

I could totally care less about other people overlooking Chicago. I care much more about my quality of life and what's going on around me than what a girl working in Brooklyn or a guy walking down the street in Santa Ana's impressions of the place are. It's mostly all just stereotypes anyway.

I mean I love New York and San Fran above almost any other US city, but that means nothing for what I think about Chicago. Just because shows are filmed in LA, and New York is the media darling of the USA doesn't really give me a "big whoop" in itself. Most things are just for entertainment as far as pop culture and TV/Movies, etc.
I wish more people on this forum understood that; and that I didn't have to "spread it around" before giving this its due.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:55 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,385,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Okay so first off I'm not Bashing Chicago, I love Chicago and I think it's the only city worth comparing to New York, yes not even suburban LA, Okay cheap shot I admit. Let's run the the numbers....

Chicago City: 3 million
Chicagoland: 9 Million

New York City: 9 Million
New York Metro: 19 million

all figures including illegal aliens, b/c their people too. Now....

Milwaukee City 605,000
Milwaukee Metro 2.2 million

So does size really matter? is population like strength of schedule? vs the actual school?

New MSA, metro statistical area, included Milwaukee and the Chicagoland area , which includes NW Indiana for a +10 mil figure. So the cities have merged for official metro counting purposes. Not sure where you get the 19 mil. Your figures are skewed and incorrect

Last edited by WildWestDude; 10-16-2009 at 02:08 PM..

Old 10-16-2009, 05:38 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
New MSA, metro statistical area, included Milwaukee and the Chicagoland area , which includes NW Indiana for a +10 mil figure. So the cities have merged for official metro counting purposes. Not sure where you get the 19 mil. Your figures are skewed and incorrect
They're not combined for any MSA, CSA or other reporting purposes from the census. Maybe in the future, but not now.

2008:

Chicagoland: 9,793,036
Milwaukee: 1,748,818

New York CSA: 22,154,752

Old 10-16-2009, 06:10 PM

370 posts, read 862,813 times
i lived in both chicago and nyc. You are also correct in assuming that I do not read the NY or Chicago Forums threads.

I am speaking from my experience of living in both cities. From my experience, people in Chicago cared a hell of alot more about being compared to NYC, than the other way around.

Both great places to live, but naturally the smaller city wants to be compared to the bigger city.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:43 PM

259 posts, read 543,127 times
You couldnt be from chicago or have lived here....i have lived in chi all my life and people don't compare chicago to ny here. That's so false people here are too wrapped up in CHICAGO LOL

Old 10-16-2009, 06:49 PM

259 posts, read 543,127 times
And if chicago wasn't an elite city why does it get roughly the same amount of annual visitors as the city it "emulates" chi is a farm town? Maybe so but why do so many people come here

Old 10-17-2009, 12:26 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,102,936 times
Quote:
Not sure where you get the 19 mil. Your figures are skewed and incorrect
from the census.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:27 AM

41 posts, read 58,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
By the way, Chicago will soon be sprawling into Milwaukee so they're pretty much the same "city" if you know what I mean.

Lol whaaaaa?
Oakland is not "pretty much" San Fran. Philly is not "pretty much" New York and Milwaukee is most certainly not the "same city" as Chicago and will never be. With a state line that might as well be the Israeli/Palestinian border...among tons of other things...the two cities have completely different identities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City